Author Topic: VP2 Struck by Lightning  (Read 1125 times)

Offline dcriner

VP2 Struck by Lightning
« on: July 10, 2015, 09:02:32 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, around midnight, there was an awful crash of lightning and thunder. My wife was sure the house had been hit. Then early the next day, with my coffee, I went around the house, and saw no damage, shingles, or other debris. An hour or so later, I walked out to look at my vegetable garden. I discovered the plastic remnants of the anemometer and wind vane on the ground, blown to smithereens.

The outside device was mounted on a 1-1/4" steel pipe, embedded in concrete - perfectly grounded. I decided to extend the pipe 2' above the elevation of the ISS, hoping that would help shield the equipment from any future lightening strikes.

I obtained a replacement wind assembly and everything is back in operation. Nothing else was damaged.
Doug

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: VP2 Struck by Lightning
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 09:44:59 PM »
You got lucky.  My old wired was rendered useless.

http://weather.rms.rdale.org/about.php

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 11:12:17 PM »
Any pics of damage? Would be cool to have.
Randy

Offline dcriner

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 10:02:55 AM »
I should have taken pix, but I didn't. There was no indication of burning - just the black plastic anemometer parts blown to bits. Everything else was OK, amazingly. I think most of the jolt went down the steel mast to ground, but there was a minor explosion.
Doug

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 01:37:31 PM »
I dread the day mine gets hit. I do have a back up however when or if it happens.
Randy

Offline dcriner

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 06:40:53 PM »
Update:  I noticed that the wind direction wasn't being displayed on the console. The new anemometer is fine - I tried it on a friend's system. Davis say that the wireless transmitter board is zapped. A new one is on the way.
Doug

anything