Author Topic: Acu-link bridge and sensors reception modification  (Read 2088 times)

Offline yupthatsme001

Acu-link bridge and sensors reception modification
« on: May 14, 2014, 11:31:36 AM »
      After getting a new 5 in 1, bridge, display, and a tower sensor, I seen and verified what some people have said that the bridge reception is terrible.  With it sitting right next to the display, it couldn't find the 5 in 1 in which the display found, linked up and said it had 4 out of 5 bars of signal.  Having read up on some peoples problems with this bridge, I moved it much closer to the 5 in 1 in order to locate it, then started to increase the distance until i lost it.  I had two 5 in 1 sensors and one tower that I wanted to connect and the location I had to have the bridge wouldn't have worked to connect to one let alone all 3.  After my "reverse engineering" I was able to not only connect to all three with the bridge, but at a much greater distance than advertised by acu-link. 

Taking apart a old 1035 display, i located the antenna wire and placement of it.  In order for the 433mhz signal to work, the antenna wire is to be 174mm in length. It starts on the left side of your screen, extending up to and across the top.  It is a orange wire.  With this in mind, i took apart my bridge, knowing full well that there would be no warranty after this, i located this same wire.  Its route is something less desirable.  Starting from the front of the bridge, it extends towards the back, going through the hinge, and (if it is in the upright position) going through it Like a upside down "U".  I took this "plastic antenna" apart by prying, and removing a couple of screws at the back, inside the bridges housing.  I then brought the antenna wire back to its origin and ran it directly out a cooling vent in the bridges housing, then straight up in the air like your typical RC car controller.  In testing, I was able to connect to my two 5 in 1s with an improved signal, with no drop outs!  My little temperate tower still had low signal so I went to work with it.

The tower had a small compact coil for a antenna.  Again, no warranty here anymore, I straightened it out and tested it.  WOW!  went from intermittent signal to 3 out of 4 bars. (I did break it off the board and ended up soldering it back on.)

Distances to sensors from bridge...

one 5 in 1 sensor...145 yards, going through one wall then clear line of sight outside. average 2 to 3 bars of signal (out of 4)

another 5 in 1....120 yards, going through one wall, 30 yards of trees then open line of sight. (this one is what my display see as well) 2 to 3 bars of signal.  Display is a little closer, and sees 4 out of 5 bars of signal.]

The temperature tower, goes through 2 walls, and a window in another house (log) (a community hall) at a distance of 75 yards.  One thing I did notice is the outside humidity affected the signal.  Before the mods, I'd lose signal between 4 to 6 am just about every day, getting it back about 10 am.  Not a problem anymore.

I did not take apart the 5 in 1s.  another project...

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: Acu-link bridge and sensors reception modification
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 05:41:14 PM »
Interesting solution for anyone with a bridge suffering from weak reception!  Thanks for sharing it.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 03:54:15 PM »
I've found that by not positioning the bridge antenna all the way up, and keeping it at a slight angle, that reception is stronger. The best I can do is two bars. The antenna is more directional than the consoles, and just hard to find a good spot...

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 04:45:17 PM »
Taking apart a old 1035 display, i located the antenna wire and placement of it.  In order for the 433mhz signal to work, the antenna wire is to be 174mm in length. It starts on the left side of your screen, extending up to and across the top.  It is a orange wire.  With this in mind, i took apart my bridge, knowing full well that there would be no warranty after this, i located this same wire.  Its route is something less desirable.  ...

On the bridge antenna routing, some have found the antenna wire can come in contact with the metal housing of a nearby crystal, effectively de-tuning the antenna.  I suspect the antenna is routed by hand, and sometimes someone gets sloppy.

That issue is easy to fix, but as you mentioned, opening the bridge likely voids the warranty.

anything