Author Topic: RGR968 Rain Gauge Problem  (Read 5731 times)

Offline dewey

RGR968 Rain Gauge Problem
« on: December 27, 2010, 05:06:56 PM »
My RGR968 rain gauge (part of my WMR968 station) stopped working a few days ago.  I checked everything I could, including all the batteries.  The only thing I can see that doesn't seem normal is that the LED on the transmitter is always dimly lit.  It does go bright for the normal transmission, but never goes completely dark.  It will go out if I unplug the cable at the transmitter.  I tried resetting the transmitter.  Am I looking at a new rain gauge?

Offline quasarba

Re: RGR968 Rain Gauge Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 05:25:08 PM »
My RGR968 rain gauge (part of my WMR968 station) stopped working a few days ago.  I checked everything I could, including all the batteries.  The only thing I can see that doesn't seem normal is that the LED on the transmitter is always dimly lit.  It does go bright for the normal transmission, but never goes completely dark.  It will go out if I unplug the cable at the transmitter.  I tried resetting the transmitter.  Am I looking at a new rain gauge?

Sounds like the same thing that happened with my anemometer transmitter after getting water in it. It would stay lit constantly either bright or dim. You probably need to try a new transmitter at least, I believe you can get it seperate.

http://www.ambientweather.com/wmwmwmsotrre.html
http://www.ambientweather.com/wmwmwmragare.html
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 05:28:21 PM by quasarba »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 06:40:20 PM »
My RGR968 rain gauge (part of my WMR968 station) stopped working a few days ago.  I checked everything I could, including all the batteries.  The only thing I can see that doesn't seem normal is that the LED on the transmitter is always dimly lit.  It does go bright for the normal transmission, but never goes completely dark.  It will go out if I unplug the cable at the transmitter.  I tried resetting the transmitter.  Am I looking at a new rain gauge?

Try swapping the temp/rh and rain gauge transmitters.  If the rain gauge works, then it's a transmitter problem.

You might try doing a "hard" reset.  Take the batteries (regular and rechargable) out of the transmitter and let it set for 24 hours with no power.  Be sure to do this inside so that it will dry out, too.

Good luck!  :)

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 06:43:59 PM »
With an dimly lit LED some thing has grounded the circuits. From price above shown an new rain gauge way to go but you can try opening it up inside and dry out the electronics.  Heat lamp over it can speed the several day process.

John

Offline Ozziefirebee

• Western Australia - Sou West corner
  • Life is simple - eat, sleep, fly
    • Margaret River Aeromodelling -Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:28:10 PM »
Similar problem here with the RGR-968 gauge, after doing a transmitter swap it appears to be the gauge itself.
I suspect that moisture is getting into the exposed pcb (circuit board) so I cleaned it a little and dried it out with a hair dryer.
I and then sprayed and sealed it with an acrylic clear lacquer, remounted it and it has worked fine ever since !
Am running a WMR-968 for 3 years with VWS without much problem, antenna location is main difficulty as I have a lot of electronic gear near the console. Keep the antenna polarisation parallel - to the side, above and below are weakest transmission/reception areas.

Greg_M

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 03:26:01 PM »
I have just scrapped my second rain gauge and I am on my 4th outdoor thermometer.
In both cases the rain gauge had corroded through, broken wires. This would not be so bad but the WUHU softaware I am using, will not transmit (upload) without the rain gauge signal (it seems).

This all leads me to believe that Oregon Scientific equipment was not meant to be used outdoors.
In other words, it's crap. 

Offline cjohnsonteotr

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 12:22:09 PM »
One other trick that worked for me with WMR-968 solar transmitters was to put a small desiccant pack in the back of the transmitter, underneath the lid on the back.  I used a small pack that was fairly flat that came in a pill bottle.  It seems that the slightest amount of moisture was enough to shut down the transmission.  It was especially problematic in the winter when it was cold and/or rainy.

anything