Author Topic: Insect Prevention  (Read 862 times)

Offline Trevor Dennis

Insect Prevention
« on: November 24, 2013, 06:34:10 PM »
I asked about UV damage in another thread, but a big problem with my WH1050 was that the rain gauge would periodically get clogged with spiders webs and stop working.  I always cleaned it when changing the batteries, but the UV damage eventually made the rain gauge cover so brittle that the tabs broke, so I wired it back on which made access more difficult.

We are fortunate that we don't have the sort of creepy crawlies in NZ that they have in Oz, for instance, but we do have a lot of spiders.  So much so, in fact, that most people treat the outsides of their houses with a repellent spray.  We spray it under eves and along the bottom of window frames, and it lasts for six months.

So my intention is to spray the plastic of the new WS to prevent the ingress of insects.  Has anyone tried this sort of thing?   Chemicals like Deet can have a detrimental affect on plastic, for instance.  I can try it out on the old WS.

Online Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
Re: Insect Prevention
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 06:44:04 PM »
Hi Trevor,

You may want to see if you can obtain some of the plastic that your new weather station will be made of, or something close to it and try some DEET on that. I would be very careful about applying that until you are absolutely sure, as I can see this reacting to plastic like putting a plastic model into a bucket of Pinesol to soak the paint away. Leave it too long and you have a glob of softened plastic or less. I ruined an expensive HO scale locomotive that way trying to strip the factory paint job off of it.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

anything