Author Topic: Father's Day sale lured me =)  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Daali

• weather n00b
  • Senior Contributor
    • The weather in Jefferson, GA
Father's Day sale lured me =)
« on: June 19, 2016, 05:36:43 PM »
The father's day sale $189 ( http://shop.bloomsky.com/products-list/solar-powered-weather-station) made me pull the trigger.  I have been wanting one, but was going to wait for Sky 2 and Storm.  Getting one under @ $200 with solar sealed the deal for me. Once the Storm comes out, I will grab one of those as well (I really want the rain gauge/windspeed/direction)

Once I get her installed, I will post I am online.  I have gone ahead and created a PWS (https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KGAJEFFE13)

Excited to get her online =)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:04:47 PM by Daali »

Offline josecmorales

• Senior Contributor
Re: Father's Day sale lured me =)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 02:48:24 PM »
Good news! love this camera!
Vantage Pro2 + UV, Airlink, Purpleair, Meteobridge.
Twitter: ClimaGuayana
Blitzortung station: 2934
Weatherlink: ClimaGuayana

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 02:53:29 PM »
I am jealous....  if I were not going out of state I would order one .

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 08:57:37 PM »
The father's day sale $189 ( http://shop.bloomsky.com/products-list/solar-powered-weather-station) made me pull the trigger.  I have been wanting one, but was going to wait for Sky 2 and Storm.  Getting one under @ $200 with solar sealed the deal for me. Once the Storm comes out, I will grab one of those as well (I really want the rain gauge/windspeed/direction)

Once I get her installed, I will post I am online.  I have gone ahead and created a PWS (https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KGAJEFFE12)

Excited to get her online =)

Congrats!  Once you get it going post the BloomSky link here and I'll update the list.
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline AVLNiner

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 12:59:34 PM »
I'm debating buying the Bloomsky station right now as well as its still on sale for $189. The question I have is what is the difference in the original Sky and the new Sky 2 hitting Kickstarter in July? Is Bluetooth installation the only upgrade? If so, how difficult is it set up the original Sky without Bluetooth? Just want to know if its worth it for me to wait for the Sky 2 to come out or if I should just go ahead and get the original.

Also to confirm, the STORM Precip. and Wind data can be added to the original Sky or the Sky 2 right?

Thanks for the help!
Devin

Offline Daali

• weather n00b
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 01:13:57 PM »
I asked about the sky 2 on the support page, and they said it would not show up until the end of the year =(.   I do not know the answer to the question of difference, but I can say mine was a very simplistic setup (3 minutes).

1. connect phone or tablet to wifi you are going to set bloomsky to.
2. start bloomsky app
3. add device
4. type in wifi password
5. watch icon rotate with pretty pictures for 2 minutes
6. run the bloomsky outside =)

Offline AVLNiner

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 01:45:37 PM »
Thanks for the info! I actually just received an email from Bloomsky regarding my question, see below:

Thank you for contacting BloomSky and thanks for your interest in the new products! There aren’t many, but, the main differences between the Sky 1 & 2 is the set up process. The set up will be streamlined with the Sky 2. I would take advantage of the current sale and purchase the Sky 1+ Solar panel. This is probably the lowest it will be. Luckily, the Storm will work with either version of the Sky devices. So there should be no problems for our new or loyal users to set up a new Storm device and start receiving new measurements. The new devices are slated to be released before the end of the year, hopefully September or October.

So it sounds like you made the right decision, and I'm about to as well. Hopefully my setup is as easy as yours!

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 02:05:12 PM »
I asked about the sky 2 on the support page, and they said it would not show up until the end of the year =(.   I do not know the answer to the question of difference, but I can say mine was a very simplistic setup (3 minutes).

2. start bloomsky app
3. add device
4. type in wifi password

Then does the Boomsky connect to the network and doesn't need the phone anymore?   I have a withings scale that needs the app just for setup but I can get the data that way

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 02:20:46 PM »

2. start bloomsky app
3. add device
4. type in wifi password

Then does the Boomsky connect to the network and doesn't need the phone anymore?   I have a withings scale that needs the app just for setup but I can get the data that way

phone...?   The bloomsky connects through your cell phone to your wifi router.  Some may have done it using an IPAD or other device.  The Bloomsky app must be installed in whatever device you do the setup on.

Offline Daali

• weather n00b
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 03:08:46 PM »

2. start bloomsky app
3. add device
4. type in wifi password

Just like the withings scale, it is only used for setup.  Just like VaJim said, you can use any device that has the app and is wirelessly connected to your network.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 09:42:58 PM »
Some may have done it using an IPAD or other device.
I don't have a smart phone and borrowed my wife's IPad.  I've had a couple of replacement devices and each time I used the App on the IPad it recognized the previous setting, and allowed a new device to be set up. 

Only issue is I've only got 1 API key for the two devices still active on my account, so not been able to use the third party scripts that use the API key for getting the 2nd BloomSky's data.

Paul

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 11:31:44 PM »

Only issue is I've only got 1 API key for the two devices still active on my account, so not been able to use the third party scripts that use the API key for getting the 2nd BloomSky's data.

Paul

Paul,
A work around may be to unregister one of the two devices from the account (username/email) and then register the second device using a new and different username/email with Bloomsky.  This way each account gets an API key and you could then use the scripts for each one.

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 12:01:12 AM »

Paul

Paul,
A work around may be to unregister one of the two devices from the account (username/email) and then register the second device using a new and different username/email with Bloomsky.  This way each account gets an API key and you could then use the scripts for each one.

Thanks, I thought there was a way but have been hesitant to try it as the second unit is 100 miles away at our daughter's place and they may have difficulty getting a new account opened (this is a free replacement to my initial free device).  And changing my home device would mean loosing the WU webcam setup with IONTARIO1189, which took about 3 weeks to get it recognized in the first place.  But I will have to address this if I want to have my BloomSky on my Meteotemplate.

Paul