Author Topic: Help Please - VWS 15 not updating 2014dbase.csv  (Read 1163 times)

Offline longmire

• Contributor
  • WD (latest) GRL3_2 WF TWI WR-25e Win10Pro
Help Please - VWS 15 not updating 2014dbase.csv
« on: September 17, 2014, 06:32:54 PM »
On August 30 I did an in place upgrade from vws 12.08p13 to 15.0p3. The new system is totally stable - having not crashed or frozen once since - even through power outages and ups switching. However - I now notice that my 2014dbase.csv file stopped updating completely as soon as v15 upgrade started. Additionally, I now have two sets of \vws\setup\summary bin files - both being updated in parallel.

Question 1: Does vws v 15 still generate both a dbase.csv and a YYYdbase.csv file like the old version 12 did?

Question 2: If not, what happens to your old data as VWS 15 exceeds the magic 50,000 record threshold? does it just throw the oldest records out?

I'd greatly appreciate some guidance from someone running vws 15 on this ...
Thanks Steve

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
Re: Help Please - VWS 15 not updating 2014dbase.csv
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 12:04:46 AM »
Steve,

I'm not sure when the change took place but the YYYYdbase.csv is not created with the newer versions of VWS.  How I handle the 50000 records overflow is never let it get that high.  On Jan 1 each year I make a copy of the dbase.csv file, name it YYYYdbase.csv, and then I close VWS and with CSVEd I remove all the previous year's records from dbase.csv, restart VWS and your database is resized.  I can't tell you what happens if you go over the magical 50000 records.  It has never happened to me.  I then have a copy of each year's database.

Hope this helps,

Jay
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
I'm using 14p64 and I've never done anything to my dbase.csv file.

I am connected to a Davis VP2, so I have VWS launch Weatherlink each night at 11:55 pm and archive the data from the data logger...I've never really used VWS to look at old data.

I've been using VWS since December 2007 without any problems.

Here's a screenshot of the folder containing the dbase.csv files (looks like an upgrade in 2009 ended the use of the YYYYdbase.csv file).
http://screencast.com/t/pFsbk2hXs

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 08:32:46 PM by LFWX »
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline longmire

• Contributor
  • WD (latest) GRL3_2 WF TWI WR-25e Win10Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 05:42:17 PM »
 \:D/ Further Update -

The new hardware and software have finally begun to play well together. I managed to get my old VWSql re-setup - only to discover that the default database location on the C: drive would quickly outrun this SSD. So - uninstall and upgrade to MySQL 5.6 which allows you to specify the location of its datafiles separately from the program disk. Once more into the breach with VWSql, and lo and behold - 'TABLE CREATED' - the current dbase.csv file uploaded, the old 2014dbase.csv uploaded, and I have now managed to get 2013 and most of 2012 done as well.

The "client" weather computer is backed up nightly by the Win Server 2012 Essentials box, and the server seems to be backing itself up according to its weekly schedule - all just in time for AUTUMN!

My thanks to all who responded and mssg'd to help!

Steve  =D>

NEXT UP - php and test web so my signature can be back online here