Author Topic: WeatherLink vs Weather Display  (Read 7786 times)

Offline upob

WeatherLink vs Weather Display
« on: September 08, 2011, 05:40:02 PM »
I thought that perhaps I should put this in the software forum, but since it effects my purchase of a device I thought this was the appropriate forum.  I am thinking of buying a Davis Vantage Pro2 and WeatherLinkIP Package
6555 / 6152.  However, I am wondering the pro/cons of using WeatherLink vs Weather Display.  My main goal is to publish my weather data on the internet and also the function of the software must be able to allow me to display my webcam. 

It would be great if someone could provide a link within the forum or outside the forum to provide the differences between WeatherLink and Weather Display

Signed a newbie

:?:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: WeatherLink vs Weather Display
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 05:42:22 PM »
You will be buying Weatherlink unless you roll your own interface (no logging).  WL comes with the Davis logger.  Pretty much any weather software will do what you want.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 09:11:54 PM »
if you use a program called Virtual VP
then you can run weather link and another software (more than 1 even) at the same time
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 09:21:36 PM »
I thought that perhaps I should put this in the software forum, but since it effects my purchase of a device I thought this was the appropriate forum.  I am thinking of buying a Davis Vantage Pro2 and WeatherLinkIP Package
6555 / 6152.  However, I am wondering the pro/cons of using WeatherLink vs Weather Display.  My main goal is to publish my weather data on the internet and also the function of the software must be able to allow me to display my webcam. 

It would be great if someone could provide a link within the forum or outside the forum to provide the differences between WeatherLink and Weather Display

Signed a newbie :?:
You need both. WeatherLinkIP gets the data from the console to your computer and/or directly to the Internet.  Weather Display customizes your data for uploading.  I use WeatherLinkIP and VWS.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 09:51:06 PM »
No you do not need both.  Cumulus is an option for WD and  WL is included with the logger
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline upob

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 11:15:29 PM »
I just need to clarify - Do I need WeatherLink in order to  use WeatherDisplay ?  If I do not need WeatherLink then why would someone buy WeatherLink independent of WeatherDisplay ?  If I use WeatherDisplay and do not purchase WeatherLink then how will my data get sent to the Internet if my PC is off, but my router on...

=D>

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 11:31:45 PM »
It's kind of a confusing marketing thing that comes up a lot.  The interface/logger is what you buy in the hardware configuration you need.  ie WeathLink-Serial, WeatherLink-USB, WeatherLink-IP.  Of course they need to package some out-of-the-box-solution software wiith the logger.  Why not call it "WeatherLink?"  Other third-party software packages work too, but Davis includes their own with the logger/interface.

If you don't want to use the WeatherLink software (that comes with the logger/interface) you can use the other packages.  But you still need that interface.  The only one available to consumers at the moment for Davis Vantage products is one of the flavors of "WeatherLink" (eg WL-Serial, WL-USB, WL-IP).  There are a couple of "roll-yer-own" interfaces covered in this forum (as mentioned) without the logger, or the Davis brand software, but that frees you up further in your software choices (I think).

So, unless you plan to build your own interface right away, you'll need to choose a Davis "WeatherLink" package to get the data into your PC.  A lot of people doing that choose the Serial version.  The USB version will work with 3rd-party software, but Davis recommends setting up their USB version as a "Serial" if you choose to use other software.

Getting multiple flavors of wx software to work is quite another discussion.

I hope this helps!

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 11:32:46 PM »
Weatherlink is SOFTWARE that comes with the hardware logger that lets any weather software read the STATION.  WL is free with the logger and not required for Weatherdisplay.  You can also do a direct connect but then there is no logging.

Offline upob

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 12:32:44 AM »
Thanks for the clarification..does Davis recommend a serial over ip selection if I will be using 3rd party software...my plan was to get the info directly onto the Internet via the logger/my router/weather display...

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 02:19:24 AM »
3rd party software works OK with the IP data logger :)
(if you are wanting to still update the weatherlink web site then you will need to set the software to release the port )
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline Sierra Guy

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 11:20:52 AM »
I would like to post data to Wunderground.  Are the data loggers for WeatherLinkIP and WeatherLink for Mac OS X the same? Would either data logger work?   I know the WeatherLinkIP software is not Mac compatible according to Davis but assume the internet posting capability is in the data logger hardware/firmware.
Jim
Volcano, California

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 12:53:15 PM »
they are only referng to the fact that weatherlink for the Mac does not work with the IP data logger
there is 3rd party software that does work on the Mac and works with the IP data logger
(but otherwise you are correct, wunderground is updated independtly of if you have a Mac or not, i.e via direct data from the IP data logger to the Davis server which then updates wunderground
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline Sierra Guy

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 08:45:16 PM »
Thanks Weather Display for your comment.  Is it possible to post on Wunderground without going through the Davis WeatherLink website by just using the data logger included with WeatherLink for Mac OS X?  Or do I need the data logger included with WeatherLinkIP?
Jim
Volcano, California

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 09:03:06 PM »
yes, by using a USB data logger
connected to your Mac
and running software for the Mac that then will udpate wunderground
Brian
info@weather-display.com