Author Topic: Setting up CWOP  (Read 2951 times)

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
Setting up CWOP
« on: January 09, 2018, 07:44:38 PM »
What are the exact steps I have to take to set up a CWOP account?.........................
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 07:46:22 PM by benay ra'am »

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline dwhitemv

• KORJUNCT3
    • My PWS on Weather Underground
Re: Setting up CWOP
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 10:39:06 PM »
It's pretty easy if you already send data to another service. I would make sure that your system is working reliably before diving into CWOP. CWOP's systems are not a polished as other services, but it is generally reliable.

To get going on CWOP:
  • Make sure your weather station upload software can talk to CWOP. Ask for help if you can't figure out if this is true for your situation.
  • Request a CWOP ID here:

http://www.findu.com/citizenweather/cw_form.html

You will get an ID that looks like FW####.

• Add your CWOP ID to your weather station upload software and start sending data to CWOP. There is no password required.
  • After a while verify your packets are getting into the system and the data looks correct. Easy way to get there is to go to this page, search for your CWOP ID, and follow the 'WxGraph' link. The "Weather data" link in the sidebar on FindU can decode your packets if the data looks incorrect.

http://www.wxqa.com/search.htm

Bookmark the results page as it has several handy links.

• Verify your location is showing up in the right spot by looking at the Position link on FindU. If the dot is in the wrong spot, update your latitude & longitude in your weather station upload software.
  • Once everything is working as it should, email cwop-support@noaa.gov and ask to register your station. They will send back a form with some extra info; once filled out and returned, your data will start showing up on mesowest and MADIS.

Once you feel REALLY comfortable, then explore turning on the QA reports. Read the stickied post in this forum first, though, as weather QA is harder than it looks.

Let us know here if you run into any roadblocks.

Offline bettsr67

• Just BE NICE! That's all it takes to be a decent h
    • LOBWX
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 05:18:34 PM »
Normally how long does it take for cwop-support@noaa.gov to reply to the request?

~Bob~

Offline Mchd17

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 11:26:52 AM »
Any luck bob?

I myself just registered and sent an email to cwop-support

mchd17

Offline bettsr67

• Just BE NICE! That's all it takes to be a decent h
    • LOBWX
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 11:31:15 AM »
yes im in  :grin: now. The people were real nice. Took about 7 days, though, I asked for a correction to be made.
http://www.wxqa.com/sss/search1.cgi?keyword=fw2489

Offline Mchd17

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 11:39:58 AM »
 UU

anything