Author Topic: Atlas HD display not pairing with sensor  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Wrog

Atlas HD display not pairing with sensor
« on: October 10, 2018, 09:18:02 PM »
My 5n1 kicked the bucket last week - aspirating fan died (again, replaced twice), no rain readings.  I tried to revive it by cleaning it out but when I put it back together it didn't work at all.  So I ordered a new Atlas with display which arrived today.  After some hiccups getting the sensor paired with the Access unit, I am not able to get the display to detect the sensor's signal.  I've tried multiple times to Add Sensor, it goes through the process then goes back to the main page with dashes in all the data fields.  I tapped on remove sensor and it doesn't do anything so it doesn't detect one.  I've done a factory reset, I've put the sensor next to the display, didn't work.  I moved it about ten feet away, didn't work.  I moved it about 20 feet away, didn't work.  I know the sensor is working - it's listed in my myacurite dashboard and it's reporting to Weather Underground.

Help

Offline karss

Re: Atlas HD display not pairing with sensor
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 04:09:13 AM »
With regard to your 5 in 1 unit no rain reading, the measurement depends on how you mount the tipping buckets on the unit. There is a small magnet in one of the arms which activates the reed switch for each bucket tip. Check whether you got it placed correctly.

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 09:28:20 AM »
My 5n1 kicked the bucket last week - aspirating fan died (again, replaced twice), no rain readings.  I tried to revive it by cleaning it out but when I put it back together it didn't work at all.  So I ordered a new Atlas with display which arrived today.  After some hiccups getting the sensor paired with the Access unit, I am not able to get the display to detect the sensor's signal.  I've tried multiple times to Add Sensor, it goes through the process then goes back to the main page with dashes in all the data fields.  I tapped on remove sensor and it doesn't do anything so it doesn't detect one.  I've done a factory reset, I've put the sensor next to the display, didn't work.  I moved it about ten feet away, didn't work.  I moved it about 20 feet away, didn't work.  I know the sensor is working - it's listed in my myacurite dashboard and it's reporting to Weather Underground.

Help

If Atlas transmits successfully to Access but not the console, then it's probably a bad console. Other then complete reboots and placing them next to each other, there's not much left to do.

It sounds like it's time to return the kit and order a replacement.  Hopefully you ordered from Amazon where they make the process easy?? It might be worth a chat with Acurite to see if they'll send you a new console right away without going thru a lengthy process but I wouldn't waste more then 1 chat session.

Atlas system is sure off to a rocky start. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:43:28 AM by davefr »

Offline Wrog

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 09:35:12 AM »
Regarding the 5n1 and rain readings, I've had it installed for five years without issue (except for the aspirator fans having a problem dying) so I know it was placed correctly.

Regarding the new Atlas display.  I did one more factory setting reset and got it to pick up the signal, at least for a second.  It displayed a reading, so I moved the sensor unit outside.  I came back in and monitored the status.  The temp outside was in the 40s but the display information never changed from the 68 degree and wind 7 mph reading it picked up during setup.  Same info displayed this morning.  So I'm almost completely certain that the display unit is defective.

Now on to the Atlas sensor.  After I put the sensor outside, at the same distance as my 5n1 which is not far from the Access unit, maybe 30 feet, I got one reading from the sensor on myacurite and then it lost the signal.  I moved the access to ensure nothing would be interfering with the signal (other then the window between the two) and checked again this morning and it had never received another reading.  I went out and moved it next to the house, still nothing.  Moved the sensor back into the house and nothing.  I opened the battery compartment and the light which I've read should be blinking every ten seconds if it is functioning normally isn't blinking at all.  So I've concluded I got a bad sensor and a bad display bundle.  At least the units in the bundle are consistently bad. 

](*,)

I've arranged a return/exchange with Amazon to give it one more try.  If I get the same results, I may just buy another 5n1 sensor as I've had relatively good results with them.

Offline Woody5023

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 02:07:29 PM »
I ordered the Atlas last week and can't believe these issues still exist. In my case, the signals come and go at random, never staying strong for any length of time no matter where the display console is placed. That's just one of many issues I've already discovered with this unit. I'm so disappointed at the field testers. No way this would have passed inspection for public sale.

Besides reception issues, these are the other things I've noticed:

1. This unit can't handle the sun. The 5n1s are notorious for reading 3 to 8 degrees higher in direct sun. The Atlas is running about 2 to 4 degrees hotter. Absolutely horrible.

2. To make matters worse, The display console rounds up the high another degree. 83.1 equals a high of 84 when the actual air temp barely hits 80. How did this get by the field testers?

3. The temperature sensor is on the south side of the unit. Why? How does this make sense.

4. When mounted properly, the station looks droopy. Weird design. Just have to see it to understand.

5. Big unit means replacing another unit difficult. In my case, the unit actually has to sit on my roof which was never the case with the unit it was replacing. So, can't put it there. I mounted it on a pole 5 feet above ground in a grassy area and it still runs 2 to 4 degrees hotter than the unit on the roof. Unacceptable.

6. The display console is nice, but decimals in some numbers seem haphazardly placed. Just have to see it to know.

Bottom line, I really wanted this station to work, but with the poor reception issues and unreliable temperature measurements in direct sunlight, Acurite appears to have missed it again. All acurite weather stations should be banned in climates where the sun shines.

This unit is going back too. So freaking disappointed.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 02:18:03 PM by Woody5023 »

Offline Wrog

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 02:49:47 PM »
I checked my WU status and see that my sensor came back to life after sitting inside for a couple hours.  The first couple reading were the same as the last reading from last evening then they started displaying actual, current readings.  Since then they've been erratic in the timing.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 03:43:14 PM »
sorry to hear so many of you are having these issues

Interestingly; I was one of the first ones here to actually buy one at retail, and when I reported these issues and others, I was raked over the coals by some people here..

This model should be recalled/pulled off the market until the retail versions work properly right out of the box..

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 03:51:13 PM »

Interestingly; I was one of the first ones here to actually buy one at retail, and when I reported these issues and others, I was raked over the coals by some people here..

This model should be recalled/pulled off the market until the retail versions work properly right out of the box..

Right.   :roll:

Why don't you move along as was requested before?

Or do you have some other motive?  Sure sounds like you were determined to hate it right from the start.

Of course, there are many that are having great luck, but you choose to ignore those people, because you don't like Facebook.

I wonder why?

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:59:33 PM by nincehelser »

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 04:00:50 PM »

As a bare minimum, they should pull the Atlas SKU's with the lightning detector bundle off the market ASAP. From what I read, it doesn't look like that will be an easy field fix.

The longer that SKU is being sold, the more negative Amazon reviews they'll get. That could be a death spiral for them.

I'd love to see Davis get some real competition so they update their antiquated consoles/hubs.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 04:30:05 PM »

Or do you have some other motive?  Sure sounds like you were determined to hate it right from the start.

Of course, there are many that are having great luck, but you choose to ignore those people, because you don't like Facebook.

I wonder why?
Your comments are insulting, and you're resulting to bullying, as usual. This board exist exactly for reasons like this. Just because someone comes here to post his or her negative comments on a product that you obviously have had a hand in and can't defend is too bad. Don't know what threads you've been reading here, but I see a lot of unhappy campers, sure as hell more than happy ones.
This is an wx enthusiast board, if you think you can't get the "skinny" on wx products here, then I guess you'll go to Facebook where evidently everyone is completely happy with their purchase.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 04:35:34 PM »
Your comments are insulting, and you're resulting to bullying, as usual. This board exist exactly for reasons like this. Just because someone comes here to post his or her negative comments on a product that you obviously have had a hand in and can't defend is too bad. Don't know what threads you've been reading here, but I see a lot of unhappy campers, sure as hell more than happy ones.
This is an wx enthusiast board, if you think you can't get the "skinny" on wx products here, then I guess you'll go to Facebook where evidently everyone is completely happy with their purchase.

Want to see a bully, CW?  Look in the mirror.

You're always looking down on those who buy systems that didn't cost as much as yours.

I get really tired of the old stick-in-the-muds who can't let anyone try anything new, put down people who use Facebook, and all that BS.

Offline Woody5023

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 04:39:54 PM »
The frustrating thing is that when you look at the product, you see this huge radiation shield and think that this product should work and the sensor will be shielded properly. Like I said, I've had this for a week. I didnt set this up and then 2 hours later kick it to the curb. I'm giving it time and comparing it to reliable instruments.

Maybe the field testers were comparing to other acurite weather stations. That's my only guess.

I've even stuck a wired probe inside the atlas housing and the readings are consistently 1 to 2 degrees lower in direct sunlight vs what the atlas reports.

Some could argue just calibrate the temp lower by 1 or 2 or 3 degrees to compensate. But what about at night?

During my observations, when it's not exposed to the sun, it's accurate. So that won't work either.

I do like the myacurite program and use it for sensors that I have around the house and shielded properly outside. Too bad I can't rely on this weather station to do the same.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 04:45:36 PM »
The frustrating thing is that when you look at the product, you see this huge radiation shield and think that this product should work and the sensor will be shielded properly. Like I said, I've had this for a week. I didnt set this up and then 2 hours later kick it to the curb. I'm giving it time and comparing it to reliable instruments.

Maybe the field testers were comparing to other acurite weather stations. That's my only guess.

That would be a very inaccurate guess.  Many of us have several stations from various brands.  Quite a few are meteorologists.

I've even stuck a wired probe inside the atlas housing and the readings are consistently 1 to 2 degrees lower in direct sunlight vs what the atlas reports.

Some could argue just calibrate the temp lower by 1 or 2 or 3 degrees to compensate. But what about at night?

Well, that would be odd, since the Atlas uses the same Sensirion SHT31 that Davis uses.  I guess the SHT31 could be at fault, but it's easily replaceable with no tools if that's the case.  Have you contacted support?

Offline Woody5023

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 04:59:01 PM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

That would be a very inaccurate guess.  Many of us have several stations from various brands.  Quite a few are meteorologists.

Well, that would be odd, since the Atlas uses the same Sensirion SHT31 that Davis uses.  I guess the SHT31 could be at fault, but it's easily replaceable with no tools if that's the case.  Have you contacted support?

No, I haven't contacted support. I expect the product to work out of the box correctly.

My Atlas is reporting to WU along with my Ambient model which I feel strongly is very accurate in the sun.

ATLAS:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCAROSAM38&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash#history

AMBIENT:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KCAROSAM15&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash#history

The Ambient wind cups have malfunctioned after 6 months and won't spin properly.  The model is out of stock so I was hoping to simply replace it with the Atlas.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 05:11:12 PM by Woody5023 »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 05:16:20 PM »
No, I haven't contacted support. I expect the product to work out of the box correctly.

That's all I can suggest.  They can't make the problem right if they don't know about it.

Offline Woody5023

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »
This is the reception issue. Do you think replacing the sensor would fix the reception?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 05:19:58 PM by Woody5023 »

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 05:29:54 PM »

I wonder why?

Why dont you stop acting like you are the boss of this forum, and learn to deal with the fact that this new product is loaded with issues for most of the users on this forum?
Just because you idolize Acurite, and cant deal with the truth about the issues so many are having with this new device, doesnt entitle you to determine who is in this thread, and what they can post..

If you cant deal with it, then YOU should move on; the rest of us arent going anywhere..

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 05:39:27 PM »
Why dont you stop acting like you are the boss of this forum, and learn to deal with the fact that this new product is loaded with issues for most of the users on this forum?
Just because you idolize Acurite, and cant deal with the truth about the issues so many are having with this new device, doesnt entitle you to determine who is in this thread, and what they can post..

If you cant deal with it, then YOU should move on; the rest of us arent going anywhere..

Oh, please.  The problems aren't as great as you're trying to make them out to be.

Of course there are going to be problems, especially at first, but if you don't work with support to get things straightened out, you'll get nowhere.

If you continue to troll, expect resistance.

If I idolize Acurite, then why in the hell do I have all these other brands of weather stations all around me?

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 05:47:02 PM by nincehelser »

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 06:12:15 PM »

Oh, please.  The problems aren't as great as you're trying to make them out to be.
NO ONE is exaggerating here, except you; people are posting actual problems they are having with this product, but, for some reason, you feel the need to refute and marginalize everyone who doesnt agree with you, not only in this thread, but in many others on this forum

Of course there are going to be problems, especially at first, but if you don't work with support to get things straightened out, you'll get nowhere.

You call it trolling, others here call it telling it like it is

If I idolize Acurite, then why in the hell do I have all these other brands of weather stations all around me?

No one knows what other brands of anything you own; obviously, you get your Acurite stuff for free..

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 06:47:49 PM »
I've arranged a return/exchange with Amazon to give it one more try.  If I get the same results, I may just buy another 5n1 sensor as I've had relatively good results with them.

If it still doesn't work out you should try an Ambient WS-2000 or WS-2902A. When I have a headache and a Tylenol doesn't fix it, I try an Advil. There is no best product. But sometimes you just have to try different things and find out what you are willing to put up with.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 06:51:19 PM »

I agree. But hopefully they are getting a lot of good product knowledge and the Atlas Elite will be much better.

[I got my popcorn ready, pulling up a chair now]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 07:06:26 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2018, 07:07:25 PM »

You're always looking down on those who buy systems that didn't cost as much as yours.

I get really tired of the old stick-in-the-muds who can't let anyone try anything new, put down people who use Facebook, and all that BS.
Agreed!
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2018, 07:08:16 PM »

NO ONE is exaggerating here, except you; people are posting actual problems they are having with this product, but, for some reason, you feel the need to refute and marginalize everyone who doesnt agree with you, not only in this thread, but in many others on this forum

You call it trolling, others here call it telling it like it is

No one knows what other brands of anything you own; obviously, you get your Acurite stuff for free..

You are the one exaggerating.  Just look at the lightning poll.  It doesn't support your wild claims.

Telling it like it is is pointing out that you were too recalcitrant to work with support.

People on this forum have some idea what I own.  I've posted here a number of times on BloomSky and WeatherFlow for example.

I have a lot of purchased Acurite gear.  Of course I got some free stuff for testing, JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER TESTERS.

By the way, learn to quote properly.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 07:10:58 PM »

I wonder why?

Why are you still trolling here? You don't own a Acurite anymore post in your own section and keep this one topic geeesh..
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2018, 07:17:48 PM »

Agreed!
Please, do tell, I'm all eyes.