Author Topic: Pollution  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Pollution
« on: June 20, 2016, 05:56:27 PM »
Yesterday I read another scary study, which was confirmed by various highly prestigious organizations.... and it really scares me...

So, based on the way things are currently developing, by 2050 there will be more plastics in the oceans than fish... the first one increasing almost exponentially every yr, the latter decreasing. That really is scary....

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Pollution
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 06:03:26 PM »
Yesterday I read another scary study, which was confirmed by various highly prestigious organizations.... and it really scares me...

So, based on the way things are currently developing, by 2050 there will be more plastics in the oceans than fish... the first one increasing almost exponentially every yr, the latter decreasing. That really is scary....
I switched to a re-usable bag to shop with a few years ago. Sick and tired of seeing plastic bags flying all over the countryside, and also dealing with "proper disposal". I believe Cali. has done away with them. Wish the rest of the country would follow.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 06:23:43 PM »
Wish the rest of the country would follow.

... or world would follow.  There are some places here that only use biodegradable plastic bags. Helps a little.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 06:29:32 PM »
Every bigger grocery chain will ask anymore plastic or paper? I've yet to see anyone say paper but I don't stand around and watch either. States need to ban it or go with the biodegradable plastic only.

Last Walmart I was in the only option was plastic and sack your own.
Randy

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 07:08:57 PM »
Here in San Luis Obispo, CA, a couple of years ago they outlawed plastic bags (with exceptions for produce and such). Paper bags cost a dime, and stores are supposed to charge for them.

Last year they added foam cups and to-go containers.

We were the first in the country to ban indoor public smoking years ago.

Interestingly, the local newspaper that championed the plastic bag ban still delivers the paper in one when it rains.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 07:17:24 PM »
Interestingly, the local newspaper that championed the plastic bag ban still delivers the paper in one when it rains.
Well, yeah.
Maybe they should make the newspapers from plastic. :-P

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 07:28:01 PM »
2 yrs ago they banned the supermarkets to give out plastic bags for free. Now you can still get them, but they are not free, which significantly reduced their use. However I wonder what percentage of the totla plasitcs produced are actually these every day items such as plastic bags or bottles. Think about the weight of such plastic bag... even if there were millions of these I think it would still not be that much in comparison to other plasitc sources

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 07:45:34 PM »
I don't think its the weight. 1-plastic bag can kill marine live for years, it gets ingested kills the animal and repeats over and over.
Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 07:52:44 PM »
Yes you are right, it depends which way you look at it - whether from the perspective of "harmfulness to the environment" - in this case directly killing the fish by trapping it, or when it eats it, or if you look at it from the perspective of "polluting the environment" - even though slowly, but they do degrade in the sea, and release toxic chemicals to the water, in which case you would look at the weight of it

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 08:41:47 PM »
I see what you are saying. Yes both are bad.
Randy

anything