Poll

Weather Nation gone from DirecTV, which weather info do you prefer on TV?

The Weather Channel
1 (5.6%)
AccuWeather
0 (0%)
Weather Nation
6 (33.3%)
Local TV
7 (38.9%)
Other
0 (0%)
None
4 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: September 22, 2018, 08:48:34 AM

Author Topic: Weather on TV  (Read 1059 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Weather on TV
« on: September 15, 2018, 08:48:34 AM »
Last month DirecTV dropped Weather Nation and replaced it with AccuWeather.
I really liked and preferred Weather Nation. Since I still can get WN on Roku, this isn't that much of a problem for me, I just use the Roku instead.
The Poll is for any TV system, including cable or whatever. I didn't intend this for just DirecTV subscribers. (but I would be interested in what you think of them dropping WN)

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Weather on TV
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 03:52:19 PM »
I get my weather ONLY from NOAA/NWS.  I do glance at one or two other sites like Time and Date .com

I can't answer about TV channels because I haven't watched TV at all in any form in nearly 5 years.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 04:40:37 PM »
Sorry, but I am more interested in my local weather than I am in someone else's weather elsewhere in the state / country / world because it AFFECTS me!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 02:24:35 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 07:55:48 PM »
Ditto regarding local weather (the only reason I ever watch local news other than when gas lines are exploding, but that's a story for another day). I have a Twitter rapport with several of the local mets and occasionally see my info on the broadcasts.  :grin:
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 09:34:21 PM »
I am fortunate enough to live near Minneapolis and there are some pretty good (market pays enough I guess) wx guys and gals.  Channel 11 has an evening news weather person (can't remember her name) but is excellent, scientific without boring and is worth watching even though it is commercial news weather.

I recall Paul Douglas, who I think started Weather Nation, being on WCCO channel 4 for awhile.  I found him good, and was reading his in depth discussion on his blog, and learned and still learn a bunch from his discussion.

The smaller TV venues are usually pretty terrible.  Or at least not great.

For some of the graphics I go to the NWS Weather Story at the centers where they issue them.  The only thing I've not found are the animations of where it is supposed to rain in the forecasts and potential for precip like rain and snow accumulations.  I don't know if there is a commercial service that animates them for the stations that can afford to buy them, or that they are produced by NWS and I've just not found a source for them.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 08:59:04 AM »
KARE 11-Belinda Jensen. Oh yeah. I think she worked with Paul Douglas.
I have always felt Minneapolis forecasters TEACH people about weather.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 12:13:39 PM »
Pretty much get all my weather info from my phone.
Also since I look at the models, SPC forecasts, and read the AFD daily I know whats coming way before it's reported on TV.

Offline spc fresno

• Aspiring Meteorologist
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 09:52:59 AM »
Last month DirecTV dropped Weather Nation and replaced it with AccuWeather.
I really liked and preferred Weather Nation. Since I still can get WN on Roku, this isn't that much of a problem for me, I just use the Roku instead.
The Poll is for any TV system, including cable or whatever. I didn't intend this for just DirecTV subscribers. (but I would be interested in what you think of them dropping WN)

Greg H.
I was pretty disappointed when DirecTV dropped WeatherNation. They were much more straight to the point and actually gave weather information 24/7 (unlike another big channel we know). I've looked at AccuWeather, and it's very simple and watered down, I suppose that's good for somebody who wants basic info on what they are going to wear or something, but I personally could never watch it. Even before this, I got most of my information from the NWS (I read the Area Forecast Discussion every morning), whether that be on their website or through NWR when I'm away from cell coverage.
░▒▓█ have a great day! █▓▒░