Author Topic: USPLN Sensor Request  (Read 45082 times)

Offline waysta

• Contributor
Re: USPLN Sensor Request
« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2017, 01:38:00 PM »

Admittedly the GPS antennas for the Blitz stations are within a foot of each other and the TOA lash up for testing is approx 33' away, so that might account for the variation to some degree. 

I'll have to see how much each digit at 6 decimal places is worth at my latitude about 1/2 way from the equator to poles.

Found this Excel sheet with a Google: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0ahUKEwiL1IHFj8DTAhWC5YMKHaLRBVcQFghFMAY&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.osmre.gov%2Fresources%2Fblasting%2Fdocs%2FExcel%2F12LatLongDistanceCalculator.xls&usg=AFQjCNGrIHBxge6hAsimEDM7IXe4jNMsvA

Google txt: [XLS]Longitude Distance Calculator ww.osmre.gov/resources/blasting/.../Excel/12LatLongDistanceCalculator.xls

Can't speak to accuracy (apparently this one was posted for blasting applications).  Replaced the batteries in my UPS and fired up my two hp Z3801A frequency references for a re-visit.  According to the Excel sheet, on initial survey, my two units are four feet apart (same antenna via an active GPS distribution block).  Looking to see if I can improve the match by new init values and a re-survey, but just for fun.  They seem plenty happy already (frequency 1pps both stable, in spec).

So, no idea if TOA averages at central, however the gps? query shows routine GPS module shot to shot variations (possibly not continuously averaged) in both position and altitude.  Probably insignificant for the application ...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:29:46 PM by waysta »

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2017, 10:31:45 AM »
Has anybody tried muting the ding-a-ling when you get a local alarm?  Is it a .wav file that can be killed by AdBlock or something?

I know I could ask them, but it seems like a minor thing to bug them about.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2017, 11:31:52 AM »
The "Help and FAQ" link on your has this:

Each alarm region can have a custom alarm tone. To setup the custom alarm tones for alarm regions you are required to send an .mp3 formatted file to GPATS and we will configure the custom alert tone for you. Please contact GPATS to request an alarm region alert tone change.

You might be able to send them a quiet(er) mp3 file, or a blank one altogether.

The "help" has an annoying tendency to close itself while I am trying to read it. I guess that I need to go to Evelyn Wood or something...  ](*,)

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2017, 12:05:48 PM »
I read that (quickly).  :twisted:  I was quick enough to copy/paste it to Notepad.

But I'm not sure why that company name is there; maybe a default for the utility?  I was trying to avoid contacting them though for a minor thing.  Maybe I'll put a few other questions together and send one message.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2017, 12:37:17 PM »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #205 on: May 01, 2017, 08:53:53 AM »
We had a couple strikes today close enough to trigger a warning so I thought I'd attach a screenshot of the email I got so you can see what you'll be getting.

Do you need to be logged-in on the site with Google Earth running in order to get these alerts? This (Not Triggered since login) has me thinking that you do.

I haven't received one yet, but I wasn't running GE or logged in at all when lightning was close (I could hear thunder, but didn't get an email).

I kind of wonder, "what is the point?" if you have to be logged in to get alerts....

Greg H.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #206 on: May 01, 2017, 08:56:57 AM »
Pretty sure Sandy said you get email alerts if wanted. 
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #207 on: May 01, 2017, 09:11:01 AM »
I kind of wonder, "what is the point?" if you have to be logged in to get alerts....

I've had a few that set off the bell, but have not received email alerts.  That's OK because I really don't want them.  I keep a browser tab open and logged in, but I do not keep GE open.

I believe the point is to help fill in areas lacking sufficient data and that access to the screens is secondary.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #208 on: May 01, 2017, 09:12:40 AM »
I tried a GMaps page in a browser tab, but they don't seem to accept the KMZ file.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #209 on: May 01, 2017, 09:28:33 AM »
I tried a GMaps page in a browser tab, but they don't seem to accept the KMZ file.

In the legend on the left, click the layer where you want to add data. Click Import. You can import CSV, TSV, KML, KMZ, GPX, or XLSX files, or spreadsheets from Google Drive. Drag a file from your computer, select a Google Drive file or open a previous My Maps map.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #210 on: May 01, 2017, 09:29:59 AM »
^^  Didn't work.  Must be some kind of special file.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #211 on: May 01, 2017, 09:42:03 AM »
KMZ are KML zipped.  Verify the file after unzipping it (outside of GE)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #212 on: May 01, 2017, 09:42:52 AM »

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #213 on: May 01, 2017, 01:33:26 PM »
You have to put in a request to get the emails. You do not have to be logged in to get the emails. If you are not actively looking at or for lightning there is no need or advantage to bring logged in.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:35:35 PM by hankster »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #214 on: May 05, 2017, 02:56:33 PM »
I'm looking for some help from those with TOA accounts already up and running.

Today Sandy emailed me access to TOA web site and I entered using the supplied login and password.

I went to the web site, and when I had the .k* file, it went to Google Earth, and asked for my sign in.  I entered the same login as TOA has given me, and asked to look up my password found nothing.  I tried to do a search for my key using that info, but it is the other way around, it will help you find your login IF you know your google maps key, sort of bass ackwards, but nothing I can do.  In the TOA FAQ it implies that the linking to G. E. will be automatic.  I even tried accessing for a free trial of G. E., but gets a 404 error back.

QUESTION:   Do I have to sign up for a GE license key independently?  Does TOA link to G. E. as it implies, or is there more intervention I need to do?

Just curious. Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #215 on: May 05, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »
I've never had to sign in there.  As long as I'm signed in the the web page, the .kmz file opens in GE Pro.

Now, that said, did you ever get a license key for GE Pro?  Were you able to open it before trying to use this file?  The keys are free now for all users.  You can do a web search for how to activate one.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #216 on: May 05, 2017, 03:20:53 PM »
I followed your advice, hoping to get the G.E. Pro key.
I went to 'how to get the free license key" on CNET, which came up in the search, downloaded the installer, and after that just tried the TOA link again.  This time it did link.  Maybe the secret is to have G.E. Pro installed, even if you've not activated a key yet.

Nonetheless, I'm going to see if I can get a key for it. 

Now that I can use the data from TOA, there isn't a lightning strike anywhere in the continental US of A.  Grrr.
Maybe tonight when a front kicks up.

Thanks for the rapid response. Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #217 on: May 05, 2017, 04:27:44 PM »
Once I log in on the TOA page, it shows "connected", My City and the Strikes and Radius graph option to open.
Then a dialog box asking how to open the .kml file. It defaults to GE and when I go "OK" it launches Google Earth zoomed into my location. I have to zoom way out to see strikes outside of my local area. I have just the normal Google Earth, not Pro or anything. (I don't think so, anyways)

Greg H.

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #218 on: May 05, 2017, 11:28:46 PM »
They sent me my links today to log in. But the private url wont load, but it loads on my phone no problem. Anyone else have problems with this? Seems very strange.
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #219 on: May 06, 2017, 02:36:38 PM »
Loaded right up for me, no problem using SeaMonkey.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #220 on: May 27, 2017, 06:05:58 PM »
Guess it works ...

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #221 on: July 14, 2017, 11:29:19 PM »
How hot are your sensor boxes?  Mine is hot to the touch, but not burn your hands hot.  It's mounted on a header over a door, but not obstructed from air flow.  It's in the garage though which isn't exactly cool this time of year.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #222 on: July 15, 2017, 08:23:13 AM »
How hot are your sensor boxes?  Mine is hot to the touch, but not burn your hands hot.  It's mounted on a header over a door, but not obstructed from air flow.  It's in the garage though which isn't exactly cool this time of year.

Mine reports:
Code: [Select]
[appLog.c:1481] Temperature 41 C, 105 FThe cabinet where it lives is at 67°F (19°C) right now. So that is a 22°C rise over ambient. I don't know if this is a sensor on the PCB, or core temperature in the TOA Systems controller.
My Blitzortung controller core temps are 33°C and 35°C.
Greg H.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2017, 09:26:15 AM »
I'm not set up to read it that way.  Using a handheld (Harbor Freight) IR thermometer pointed at the center of the case, it reads 97 and surrounding area reads in the upper 80s.

Offline DW7240

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vicarage Weather Feed
« Reply #224 on: July 16, 2017, 08:56:11 PM »
For what its worth mine reads.....

[appLog.c:1482] Temperature 49 C, 120 F

via the USB front port of terminal using Teraterm software.

Nick. dw7240.com.

anything