Author Topic: Alternative display ?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline davidsmartin

Alternative display ?
« on: November 26, 2019, 11:03:54 AM »
I have the WS1401 IP that does not come with a display.  I am thinking I could use an old phone or tablet as a display.  But the Ambient Net Dashboard is not really a good display for a phone or tablet because it uses such a big box for each piece of information, making it necessary to scroll way down all the time.  As far as I can tell, it is not possible to edit the appearance of the dashboard, right?  Are there alternative apps that would let me display the data so that everything important on a single screen?

Thanks,

David

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
Re: Alternative display ?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 11:12:45 AM »
I have the WS1401 IP that does not come with a display.  I am thinking I could use an old phone or tablet as a display.  But the Ambient Net Dashboard is not really a good display for a phone or tablet because it uses such a big box for each piece of information, making it necessary to scroll way down all the time.  As far as I can tell, it is not possible to edit the appearance of the dashboard, right?  Are there alternative apps that would let me display the data so that everything important on a single screen?

Thanks,

David
There is Ambient version of thePWS-Dashboard, currently in final-beta.
Check the beta here: https://pwsdashboard.net/pwsWD/

You can customize a lot, set the number of blocks to display, the colors a.s.o.

If you have a non-standard weather-station with extra sensors or missing sensors, I could use your Ambient.net data to test with.

Wim

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 11:26:14 AM »
Nice looking dashboard. Is this going to replace the current Ambient?

Offline davidsmartin

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 11:34:16 AM »
Wow -- the beta dashboard looks great!  I look forward to its introduction.

Of course you are welcome to test with my data, all of which is public.  Do you need more than the name "Tiny Mountain Weather Station" in Mount Holly, VT? or the following link?

https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/55c797fabbbb6b321099aa0191287c32

David

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 11:40:40 AM »
I have yet to see a Android app that displays all the concise weather data better than the dedicated consoles
The best model is currently the HP2550/1 or the Ambient Equivalent WS-2000
You could purchase this either from Ecowitt or Ambient and this will read your external sensor array and any additional sensors that you may have.
If you go for the Ecowitt variant you will need to tell them the frequency (assumption here that its the 915Mhz variety if you are continental US)

Of course the cheapest option is to re-use an old tablet etc but so far as I say I have yet to see a better implementation of the core data.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 12:40:39 PM »
Will this have mapping capabilities in the future?

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 12:43:52 PM »
Nice looking dashboard. Is this going to replace the current Ambient?
Sorry, I was not clear enough.
This is one of the "website-templates" which can be used by a dozen or so weather-programs or weather-nets.  If your weather-station is only capable of uploads to WeatherUnderground or Ambient or weatherlink.com you can use the same dashboard as persons running a weather-program 24/7.

I continue to enhance the  PWS_Dashboard and my other template and scripts. Same as other developer do with their templates.

More about PWS_Dashboard => https://pwsdashboard.com/

Wim

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 12:47:30 PM »
Wow -- the beta dashboard looks great!  I look forward to its introduction.

Of course you are welcome to test with my data, all of which is public.  Do you need more than the name "Tiny Mountain Weather Station" in Mount Holly, VT? or the following link?

https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/55c797fabbbb6b321099aa0191287c32

David
What I need to access is indeed a string of characters, and no it is not that string.

Ambient Dashboard => My Account => API-Keys
An API Key is used to securely connect your weather station to applications created by outside developers. We've listed a few of them here
When you click the CreateAPI key the scripts can read your data.
When you install the PWS_Dashboard it needs that key also and you can create multiple keys and or delete them at will.

Wim

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 01:04:09 PM »
I have yet to see a Android app that displays all the concise weather data better than the dedicated consoles
The best model is currently the HP2550/1 or the Ambient Equivalent WS-2000
You could purchase this either from Ecowitt or Ambient and this will read your external sensor array and any additional sensors that you may have.
If you go for the Ecowitt variant you will need to tell them the frequency (assumption here that its the 915Mhz variety if you are continental US)

Of course the cheapest option is to re-use an old tablet etc but so far as I say I have yet to see a better implementation of the core data.

Using the HP2550/1 and WS-2000 display consoles with the WH24 (sensor array that comes with the WS-1401-IP) requires messing with the default wind speed sensor offset and the rain gauge also. I can't find that other thread now where this was attempted. There is a bit of a compromise in accuracy I feel.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 01:06:49 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 01:28:47 PM »
Hooking APPLES to ORANGES too often yields LEMONS. However, lemonade is great...in summer.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside