Author Topic: New CWOP station  (Read 8077 times)

Offline itsjojo

New CWOP station
« on: December 31, 2010, 06:47:39 PM »
For 2 months now I have been reading like mad on here. I knew there were some weather forums out there but one night I logged on and was addicted! Lots of fun! It made me pull down my VP2 and upgrade the thing a little. I also just signed up to CWOP. I have wanted to do this for a long time. WxForum.net woke up my weather spirit.

I am up on CWOP Here>>>>   http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/search?site=D6582&Get+information=Get+information
Wondering about Madis??? From what I understand, My station info will be sent to Madis for QC???   I am wondering what I have to do to get the red / green thumbs up or "X's".

I have only been on for a few days now. Do I have to do anything special for quality checks???

Happy New Years everybody!!!!
Jojo

Davis Vantage Pro 2, remote temperature/humidity station
Weather Link 5.9.2
Microsoft Cinema weather cam (usb)
WeatherUnderground ID KPANORTO1

sef

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: New CWOP station
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 06:52:29 PM »
JoJo,
  Congrats on being on CWOP.  I plan on joining this month.  About all you can do now is make sure your sensors are placed as good as they can be.  Then, wait and see what their analysis shows.  Then go from there.  Good Luck!!
     Mark

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 07:18:53 PM »
For 2 months now I have been reading like mad on here. I knew there were some weather forums out there but one night I logged on and was addicted! Lots of fun! It made me pull down my VP2 and upgrade the thing a little. I also just signed up to CWOP. I have wanted to do this for a long time. WxForum.net woke up my weather spirit.

I am up on CWOP Here>>>>   http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/search?site=D6582&Get+information=Get+information
Wondering about Madis??? From what I understand, My station info will be sent to Madis for QC???   I am wondering what I have to do to get the red / green thumbs up or "X's".

I have only been on for a few days now. Do I have to do anything special for quality checks???

Jojo

Welcome and enjoy your stay!  :)

Addicting and fun?  Yep!   #-o =D> \:D/ ](*,) :shock:

It may take a week or so for the red line and the X's and checks to show up.

Now the next step is CoCoRaHS if you haven't done that yet!  Then you can be a part of the "it's seven o'clock and I'm trudging out to the rain gauge again" army.  (It's really not drudgery, it's a very useful service, I believe, and it's also a good way to keep tabs on your tipping bucket station)  :)

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 07:21:52 PM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline itsjojo

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 08:03:36 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. I kinda figured I'd just have to wait but I didn't want to wait a week and then check in and find I need to "start or register", that would make me feel like a dork!

Hmmm, CoCoRaHS??  I have seen that name. Don't know what it is. Now you have me very curious.... Rain gauge? hmm, need to research this!  However, when I get QC'ed on Madis, I think I might be spending my time trying to dial in the sensors. I can't wait until my "report card" is posted!! This barometer stuff is crazy.  Lol.

Weather Link 5.9.2

sef

Offline daswx

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 08:09:36 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. I kinda figured I'd just have to wait but I didn't want to wait a week and then check in and find I need to "start or register", that would make me feel like a dork!

Hmmm, CoCoRaHS??  I have seen that name. Don't know what it is. Now you have me very curious.... Rain gauge? hmm, need to research this!  However, when I get QC'ed on Madis, I think I might be spending my time trying to dial in the sensors. I can't wait until my "report card" is posted!! This barometer stuff is crazy.  Lol.

itsjojo.......
CoCoRaHS (Collaborative Collection of Rain, Hail and Snow) is based in Colorado..now in (I believe) its 13th year...
The rain gauge recommended for CoCoRaHS measurement is the 4" diameter "Stratus" type polystyrene cylinder, available from a number of places (WeatherYourWay.com, RainmanWeather, etc.) for around $30....
Don't let the "7:00AM!!" thing throw you.....just post when you can...but TRY to follow the suggestions re: the actual TAKING of the measurements (rain/sleet/snow/hail)....The CoCoRaHS site has several VERY informative videos/slideshows on the "how-to's"......
BTW....I am DW5833 on CWOP.....NH-MR-25 on CoCoRaHS...and KNHCHICH2 on WeatherUnderground.com...
Welcome aboard....and ENJOY!!
RE: MADIS.....yeah, it can take a week or so for your data to be "QC'd"...I did a bit of nail-biting 'til I saw my first analysis!! If you've followed the guidelines for setting up /calibrating your station, you should have no problems....Good Luck!

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 08:52:09 AM »
If you do have problems being Q checked first make sure your sensor placement is correct. If that isn't an issue don't get upset. It's probably your location and there isn't anything you can do about that. Your conditions are unique to your backyard. They aren't going to be the same as a station 5 miles away.
Enjoy. :-) 
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline itsjojo

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
Thanks again guys, nice to meet everyone.
Well over my new years eve, I sat home instead of going out and my wife was occupied with a sleep over for the little ones. I got to spend time on here, wxForum.net and did manage to watch youtube videos about CoCoRahs. It does have me excited and as of now I seem to want to get on board. I am a morning person, very early to rise. 7am is not problem for me but I have to admit it seems quite a commitment. I don't want to let them down.   
This brings a few questions, if I may ask:
Wondering once you get used to the daily ritual, how long it takes each morning to inspect, log and post? 
Especially in the winter how long does it take?
Another thought is for the relatively new CocoRahs members, does it get boring or monotonous making this commitment?
I am definitely the type to like records in weather. I print out weatherlink reports each month anyway as well as check my upload to Wunderground and now Cwop twice a day.

As far as Cwop goes:  My Davis Vp1 was up since 2004, replaced by the Vp2 in 2006 at which time I got on-board Wunderground. My typical mounting place for my weather station was on a 15 foot mast on my chimney. Anemometer on the top and Iss down by the chimney. Yep! The chimney is used for exhaust gasses from my furnace. I did see some bias which bothered me. Upon reading up on CWop siting, I knew what I had to do.  I have made some changes. I now have a remote Davis temp humidity station in my yard 5' from the ground with it's own tx, rain gauge is in my yard at nearly 5' and the anemometer has its own solar remote tx up on the mast. I guess this is better but I to expect to have some work to do when I get QC'd. That won't bother me too much. It will be interesting working it out.  I do admit, I did some reading on my barometer and it baffles me completely.
Happy New Year Everybody!!!!

Weather Link 5.9.2

sef

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 12:38:47 PM »
I spend less than 5 minutes each morning, I have 2 gauges,  I take a dry one outside with me and exchange with the "used " one.  By doing it this way I don't have to stand in the cold wet weather or make 2 trips outside.  We don't get snow very often, but when we do I probably spend twice as long.  I'm sure it gets faster with experience.  The second gauge is nice in the winter because I can let the snow melt naturally before I take and post the reading.  7AM was not a good time for me so I requested and got my default time changed to 5:45AM.  I have not missed a day in more than 2 years.  On a couple of occasions when I am out of town I have had a friend swap the gauges for me. 

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline itsjojo

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
Thanks Tomcj2,
I had that same idea in mind to buy 2 gauges. I'm not sure how long the snow will take to melt. If i were to "service" the gauge in winter at 7am. Do you have to post immediately there after? Or Can you let it melt for a few hours then post? I do have slow winters work-wise so 7am is right up my alley :-)

Rain seems easy, Winter just seemed like much more to do. I don't want to seem lazy here..... I love the idea of adding this to my daily weather agenda too. I just wanted to get a few opinions here from those involved.

Thanks for filling me in.
Jojo

Weather Link 5.9.2

sef

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 02:00:12 PM »
You can post your reading anytime, but if you do it after 9AM your data may not go on the map.  They suggest adding a known quantity of hot water to melt the snow and then do the math to get the correct reading.  I have used the microwave to speed things up.  You should consider getting another inner tube.  I have cracked one by dropping it,  they get dirty and hard to clean after awhile, and a second one makes life easier when you have to measure more than 1 inch of rain.  If you buy it now you save shipping charges later. 
..and don't forget the calendar

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 02:28:10 PM »
Just be sure you have your "Observation Time" as something before 9:00am and it should show on the map, even if the actual data entry is made much later.

Another method of measuring snow water equivalent - use a scale to get the weight/volume of the water in the snow: http://www.cocorahs.org/Media/Training/Training_SnowByWeight.html
I may have to buy a scale and start doing it that way, if it looks like we will be having another record setting snowfall month here (all-time record last February and very close to it this December)

Consider reporting snow to CWOP also: http://www.wxqa.com/snowSIGN-UP.html
You'll contribute valuable data that will help here (the "modeled" data can have a large error sometimes): http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/graph.html?station=D1039_MADIS
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline itsjojo

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 02:57:30 PM »
tomcj2
Thanks for the "inner tube tip". I did not know that. I'll definitely will get a 2ND 'inner' as well.

LFWX
Thank you for that tip. I did see the scale some where but forgot about it. I'll check out the link. I guess I have some more studying to do on that site. I should just go ahead and order the Gauges and accessories and while waiting for them, study the site some more.  I am excited about it. I definitely will record snow.  We only have had about an inch here at my house as of New Years! could have been 15 - 20 by now, but the whole year seems to have had a mild drought.

Weather Link 5.9.2

sef

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 03:34:32 PM »
It does have me excited and as of now I seem to want to get on board.

Great!  Every raindrop counts!

I am a morning person, very early to rise. 7am is not problem for me but I have to admit it seems quite a commitment. I don't want to let them down.

We do what we can.  The Rain Police are not going to come to your house if you don't report a day or two.  You can also make a "Multiple Day" report.

This brings a few questions, if I may ask:
Wondering once you get used to the daily ritual, how long it takes each morning to inspect, log and post?

Especially in the winter how long does it take?

Another thought is for the relatively new CocoRahs members, does it get boring or monotonous making this commitment?

It takes me maybe 5 minutes to do the whole thing (measure, type, send).

In the winter, if snow or ice is in your tube, you have to let it melt, but there are several ways to 'hasten' that process.

The monotonous/boring thing will vary from person to person.  I've only been doing it for 3 or 4 years, but there are some that have been doing it for many more years than that.  I can't predict what you'll find for yourself.

Happy New Year Everybody!!!!

Good luck and I hope you enjoy everything!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 03:36:29 PM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 03:46:11 PM »
Thanks Tomcj2,
I had that same idea in mind to buy 2 gauges. I'm not sure how long the snow will take to melt. If i were to "service" the gauge in winter at 7am. Do you have to post immediately there after? Or Can you let it melt for a few hours then post? I do have slow winters work-wise so 7am is right up my alley :-)

Rain seems easy, Winter just seemed like much more to do. I don't want to seem lazy here..... I love the idea of adding this to my daily weather agenda too. I just wanted to get a few opinions here from those involved.

Thanks for filling me in.
Jojo

Be sure and look at http://www.cocorahs.org/ViewData/

You can see all the different ways your data is distributed and what all you can send in and you can search for it.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 03:58:52 PM »
Also the best way to clean the inner tube is get a newspaper, roll it up and slide it inside. Once inside get a little water to get it wet and twist it around several times to clean.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Storm017

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 11:20:32 PM »

I am up on CWOP Here>>>>   http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/search?site=D6582&Get+information=Get+information
Wondering about Madis??? From what I understand, My station info will be sent to Madis for QC???   I am wondering what I have to do to get the red / green thumbs up or "X's".

Jojo
Just down the road from you.  Checked MADIS for your site and it seems to pass.  I needed to offset my baro press in the beginning (couple of years ago) to bring it in. 

Storm
DW2176

Offline itsjojo

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 07:20:45 PM »
Hey,
Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice. I keep checking in to see if any QC has been done but nothing yet. I'll just wait and see how it turns out.
I am going to get into CoCorahs and give it a try. I just notice there is a forum here for it. So Ill keep everyone posted on my getting started.

Weather Link 5.9.2

sef

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 09:36:56 AM »
If you need to find nearby accurate readings to calibrate your barometer output, check out this tool:

http://www.starpath.com/barometers/baro_cal.php

punch in your lat and long, click on show stations and choose something close by to use. These stations update hourly. I load the nearest station page a few minutes after the most recent update time and used that reading to set mine when the pressure was trending steady.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 09:39:09 AM by JACK10562 »
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline KF5APO

• Active Skywarn Advanced Spotter/ Chaser.
Re: New CWOP station.
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 02:35:31 AM »
Hi everyone KF5APO Andy, from Northeast Mississippi.
My home Weather Station died a while back and I figured I'd ask the experts.
I am looking at three weather stations to replace it and I'd like a weather Station that is flexible
and Can Grow by adding sensors and can be Internet & APRS Ready.
the stations I am looking at are..
Rainwise MK III.
Davis VP2
and The Weather hawk.

A wireless Weather Station would be great in my Application because,
My Family has dogs that like to dig and Chew On wires.
I was Just wondering because The one I had was a Oregon Scientific and it lasted 21 years In the field.
and was a Basic weather Station with a DB-09 Serial Cable connection to the PC
though I couldn't share the Weather Data unless I downloaded the Graphs and emailed them.
I don't mean to Impose Gentlemen. and, I generaly like to get advice from people that Know.
before I make any Decisions. Thanks!
KF5APO
Andy
Itawamba County MS,
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 03:04:13 AM by KF5APO »
KF5APO
Andy
4" Stratus Rain Gauge
accurite temp station.
Future Recruit Davis VP2 model 6163 24 hr FARS.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 08:31:26 AM »
Andy,
This is pretty much a Davis board (unofficially) and that's the recommendation you will (probably) get. The other two brands are fine, high quality equipment also. I am shocked at the life of your OS. I would not expect that from any rough service electronics but all three of the units are high quality and should give you long service. As far as getting info to the internet, with the Davis you will have to add a $100+ "WeatherLink" datalogger (I recommend the Serial Version {rock solid}). You will then have the option of making do with the provided software or adding a wide variety of other types.
FWIW
George

Offline KF5APO

• Active Skywarn Advanced Spotter/ Chaser.
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 10:40:34 AM »
The Only thing that I had Changed or Replaced On My Oregon Scientific Weather Station was. The Temprature Humidity Sensor.
Oregon Scientific didn't have a Firmware Upgrade for it so I kept using it until it finnaly kicked the bucket in 2006-2007.
The One that Came with it had Degraded over the years and was begining to show wear both the Sensor itself and In the Data it Measured.
Though I got alot of Good years of Use out of it and it still sends an intermittent Data stream to both the Console and the Computer.
I have been an active weather buff since 14 and I'm 24 now and a General Class Ham radio Operator as well as an Actve Storm Chaser/Spotter for Itawamba County Mississippi.
and I Can Say I like the Davis VP2 and it's Flexibility as well as the Many optional Sensors and Stations.
and the tickertape Display in the bottom of the Screen as well.
here lately My local Counties EOC put in a Weather Station/Mesonet.
and it has Increased my Intrest in getting a weather Station back up and Running.

and it's Nice to meet some Other Gentlemen that Share an Intrest in the weather and how it plays
a Key role in how we live.
here is the Site to my local Radio Club..  http://www.w5nem.org/
though Our site may be moving if it is Unavailable.
Thanks Gentlemen!
73 de
KF5APO
Andy
Itawamba County Mississippi
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 05:27:06 PM by KF5APO »
KF5APO
Andy
4" Stratus Rain Gauge
accurite temp station.
Future Recruit Davis VP2 model 6163 24 hr FARS.

anything