Author Topic: Meteobridge + Davis USB logger  (Read 3989 times)

Offline gvmelbrty

• Sandia Knolls, NM Weather
Meteobridge + Davis USB logger
« on: September 03, 2014, 02:28:52 AM »
Does the Davis USB data logger need any configuration before it works with Meteobridge? .. Such as, does the USB logger need to be put into serial mode using the Davis utility program? And does the logging interval need to be set to a specific interval (using WeatherLink) to match the Meteobridge?

Thanks.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
Re: Meteobridge + Davis USB logger
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 04:55:58 PM »
no, just plug in and enjoy.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline gvmelbrty

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 02:13:20 AM »
Thanks for the reply. TL-MR3020 and logger will soon be in transit.

Oh, another question: Is there a way to check the firmware on the TL-MR3020 in case it needs to be updated? And do I assume correctly that the Meteobridge software needs to be reinstalled after firmware updates?

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 03:33:51 AM »

Oh, another question: Is there a way to check the firmware on the TL-MR3020 in case it needs to be updated? And do I assume correctly that the Meteobridge software needs to be reinstalled after firmware updates?
The TL box is flashed once with what you could call a internet loader.. After flashing the first time, all updates are simply done by restarting the device. The complete meteobridge software is than automatically loaded from the Meteobridge server. So your software is always up to date when the device is restarted.
You have extra options there also, to load not the latest but a specific version or to load from a USB stick in case you have VERY VERY slow internet (GSM/3G).

But the main point: Meteobridge does its job, no need to thinker with.

Wim

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 06:41:29 PM »

Don't forget to also buy a cheap, passive USB 2.0 hub, as this is needed for USB data conversion.
This one is sold by ambient with the meteobridge and does the job:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-2-0-4-Port-Ultra-Mini/dp/B000Q8UAWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409870398&sr=8-1&keywords=belkin+mini+usb+hub
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline gvmelbrty

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 08:18:07 PM »

Don't forget to also buy a cheap, passive USB 2.0 hub, as this is needed for USB data conversion.
This one is sold by ambient with the meteobridge and does the job:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-2-0-4-Port-Ultra-Mini/dp/B000Q8UAWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409870398&sr=8-1&keywords=belkin+mini+usb+hub

Concerning updating the firmware for the TL (as opposed to updating the Meteobridge software), I believe I found my answer at the Meteobridge Release Log, where it outlines the procedure to update the firmware for the TL (Meteobridge version 2.1, finalized March 22, 2014 (TL firmware v1.4)).

I assumed I would not need a passive 2.0 USB hub as long as the TL had firmware v1.4 because the v2.1 release log states:

Introduces a new firmware for TP-Link MR3020 platform that no longer needs a USB hub to connect to majority of USB devices.

But if I do need one I'll take your word for it docbee, cuz I'm guessing you actually write the release logs! So I assume a 2.0 hub is still required when using the Davis USB datalogger, even with firmware v1.4?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 01:07:07 PM »
You need the USB hub with the Davis USB logger. I know for sure.  :lol:

Offline gvmelbrty

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 01:31:02 PM »
You need the USB hub with the Davis USB logger. I know for sure.  :lol:

Yep, you're right and I found out why: the Davis logger uses a USB 1.1 chip and the TL-MR3020 is not backwards compatible with the older standard, so an intermediate 2.0 hub is necessary.

Thanks again for your help. I'm sure once I get the Meteobridge up and running I'll have another question or two.

Offline gateway2capecod

• West Wareham, Ma Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 06:06:35 PM »
Hello...

can you tell me what Model USB Hub you purchased and where you got it (ebay?) and price paid?

also...did it work well with the TP-Link MR3020  that you also purchased and did you get everything working Yet?

also..what weather station do you have? I have Davis vantage Vue and am thinking about also doing the same as you..getting a TP Link Router, USB Hub and eliminating my 24/7 PC.

Thank for you help...Chris

also curious where is link to your site and what part of the world are you from

Offline gvmelbrty

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 06:44:30 PM »
Hello...
can you tell me what Model USB Hub you purchased and where you got it (ebay?) and price paid?
also...did it work well with the TP-Link MR3020  that you also purchased and did you get everything working Yet?
also..what weather station do you have? I have Davis vantage Vue and am thinking about also doing the same as you..getting a TP Link Router, USB Hub and eliminating my 24/7 PC.
Thank for you help...Chris
also curious where is link to your site and what part of the world are you from

Hi Chris, I already have a passive USB hub laying around that'll probably work, but I have not yet purchased the TL box or the Davis data logger.. If you need to get one, I'm sure the USB hub on Amazon that docbee posted above will work fine. .. I have a VP2, no web site yet, I'm in NM.

Offline gateway2capecod

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 07:28:22 PM »
hello...

OK.. well thanks for the help.

I am still researching all this stuff myself.

...chris

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 06:36:01 PM »
I used a Startech hub.  Some cheap ones do not work.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline gateway2capecod

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 06:49:39 PM »
hello bushman...

today I ordered the TP Link TL MR3040 router (The one with rechargeable batteries) and a FTDI Chipset Serial to USB adapter.

Was told I wont need Hub when using the FTDI Chip adapter.

will see how things go when I get hardware in mail next week sometime.

..chris

Offline gvmelbrty

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 04:30:42 PM »
Just wanted to throw this out there.. here's another passive USB hub from monoprice for those using a Davis console with a USB data logger and a TL-MR3020, TL-WR703N or TL-MR3040. It's inexpensive ($3.26) and backwards compatible with USB 1.1.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 04:35:33 PM »
...might work, just give it a try. If not you are not loosing too much :lol:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 06:28:55 PM »
This Startech one works for sure:   http://ca.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/USB-2/Hub/4-Port-Notebook-Sized-Mini-USB-20-Hub~ST4200MINI  I have seen them on sale for about 6 bucks.  As for the MOnoprice unit, well MP has  a great return policy although for 4 bucks...
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything