Author Topic: Directions - trivia  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Directions - trivia
« on: May 21, 2016, 06:08:10 PM »
Before you read this, let me say that I know this is highly theoretical, but it is just something I randomly thought about yesterday....

So I was thinking about the poles. Theoretically, if you stand right at the pole, the only direction you can go is obviously either South or North, depending on which pole you are at. There is no West or East, until you make that very first step. However, then I thought hang on.... lets imagine it is the spring/fall equinox, so time when the Sun rises/sets. And so the Sun disc should start appearing.... well.... on the East :D I know this is very weird, but theoretically, any ideas how this would work? :D

Online CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Directions - trivia
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 06:34:51 PM »
You need to stay away from the "hippie lettuce".  ;)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 07:16:24 PM »
Well, from the terrestrial relative scenario you describe... you'd be looking at the sun.... and therefore, looking south...  if each direction you looked were... south, per the scene design... The sun would rise on the spring equinox and set on the fall equinox, in the south.

And what color was the bear?.....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 07:20:03 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 07:35:43 PM »
OK good :D Thats what I thought too :D

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 09:08:51 PM »
Before you read this, let me say that I know this is highly theoretical, but it is just something I randomly thought about yesterday....

So I was thinking about the poles. Theoretically, if you stand right at the pole, the only direction you can go is obviously either South or North, depending on which pole you are at. There is no West or East, until you make that very first step. However, then I thought hang on.... lets imagine it is the spring/fall equinox, so time when the Sun rises/sets. And so the Sun disc should start appearing.... well.... on the East :D I know this is very weird, but theoretically, any ideas how this would work? :D

As a practical matter, I believe they use a grid system with an arbitrary "North" when working at the poles.   Otherwise people go insane.  ;)

anything