Author Topic: WeatherView 32 Question  (Read 2989 times)

WxStation

WeatherView 32 Question
« on: October 28, 2010, 10:12:25 AM »
Is anybody using the temperature trend on the real time monitor? My question is does it auto scale according to the max/min temp on the graph? Here's a pic of what I'm seeing.

Right now it shows a range of 35-55 degrees. If I stop real time monitoring and restart the scale changes to 36-41 degrees because the temp line is pretty flat. I thought it would auto scale according to the temp line but maybe I'm just dreaming.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: WeatherView 32 Question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 11:32:55 AM »
You should drop a line to Dave at wxview@weatherview32.com about this. When I ran WV32 (V5-7) I remember that V6 had some weird auto-scaling problems and V7 was supposed to correct them. If I remember in V7 the autoscaling wasnt reacting to the current Max/Min but was more on a longer term. However, at that time WV32 was pretty expensive and then waiting nearly 3 years to go from V6 to V7 and finding no real improvements...I ditched it and went VWS. I can't wait for VVPro to add more stations (I have all ports tied up...Cumulus, WD, WL, VWS) so I can fire up WV32. I am tempted to sell my V7 with book some time though.

WxStation

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:59:53 AM »
Emailing support yields no response. I've given up on that. I am running V6 because support for Nimbus instruments was dropped in V7. The capture part of the software doesn't work either which is how it publishes the data to a website. I'm using 3rd party screen capture software to get my data from WV32 up to my website. I inquired about WV32 V7 support for Nimbus last year and was told it was dropped but I could purchase for a reduced price V6 which would work. Seems to me it doesn't work. The main reason I wanted this software was to publish data from the Nimbus to a website and I can't even use that feature.

I think the problem goes back to difficulties with installation. I purchased the software and was given a link to download. Once installed and the program run, the splash screen said "Weather View 32 for Texas Weather." I questioned this but kept on going for several days trying to get it to see my Nimbus thermometer. Finally after several emails back and forth I was told I was using the wrong software. So I got another link to download a new installation file. Done! Uninstalled the version I had, rebooted and installed this new version. Again, it said "Weather View 32 for Texas Weather." Sent another email. I was told it shouldn't say "Texas Weather" anywhere. I sent a screen cap of the splash screen. Received another link to download a new executable for the program. I was told to overwrite the EXE file in the program directory with the new EXE file. Done! Now when I run the program the splash screen says "Weather View 32 for Nimbus Instruments." Wow, it sees the Nimbus and works now. So I'm wondering if the "Texas Weather" installation and the EXE file for Nimbus instruments are fouling up the program. Nothing like piecing together program files to make a program work.

The capture part of the software is a separate app called Capture.exe which launches to take a screen cap of the real time weather monitor. Watching in task manager in windows, as soon as Capture.exe launches it goes to "not responding." I've ran it on 3 different computers with the same results.

So I decided to try and find a newer version of Capture.exe. I downloaded a trial of V7 and copied the Capture.exe file into my working directory and over wrote the version I was using. Now when it launches Capture.exe I get a pop-up box that says "File not found." Guess that's not going to work either.  :???: So I put the original Capture.exe file back in the working directory and that's where I sit now. No response from support.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 12:52:13 PM by Nimbus »

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 10:12:14 AM »
When I went from V6 to V7 the USB Davis WeatherLink quit working. I was down for a month. I was told that it wasnt possible....until Dave started getting other calls. We tried all sorts of changes until he admitted that he had written his own .dll's to communicate with the Vantage and was sending out the original Davis .dll's but was sure they wouldnt work. I was back online in a second. Later I went to serial Weatherlinks. I am not totally slamming WV32 it has some great features, but the length of time between versions, the cost of each upgrade and lack of any improvements between versions was just too much and I switched. The only thing that is a problem with WV32 is that it writes one database from the day you start the program and it is proprietary. I still have a 500 mb file from several years before I switched to VWS. I know you can extract out to an Excel spread sheet but to make the data work withe VWS was just not worth it. I still have my V5, V6 and V7 disk and books if you need anything. I wish there was a way to make the Nimbus work with VW32 or WD or Cumulus. The folks behind those products are much more responsive to changes and fixes.