Author Topic: WeatherLink  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Yank61s

• Davis Weatherlink
WeatherLink
« on: April 12, 2017, 06:52:09 AM »
Anyone else having this issue where your favorites are blank?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: WeatherLink
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 07:01:27 AM »
Hmm, I suspect that there may be some uncompleted maintenance going on on the wl.com platform.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Yank61s

• Davis Weatherlink
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 07:34:13 PM »
What ever it was, it back to normal

Offline stormchaser911

• Certified Advance SkyWarn spotter/ Strom Chaser
  • Contributor
    • NYUpstateWeather.com
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 05:37:03 PM »
May i ask and i know this is stupid but will weatherlink ever udate there Graphics on there software. They are now on 6.3 i think they just dont seem to upgrade or do updates that often thats all any ideas on this

Offline Yank61s

• Davis Weatherlink
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 06:03:22 PM »
It would be nice to see a upgrade. Graphics are very dated

Offline stormchaser911

• Certified Advance SkyWarn spotter/ Strom Chaser
  • Contributor
    • NYUpstateWeather.com
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 06:10:04 PM »
If i may ask can some one put a post into Davis about this or about what i said as there are other weather software programs out there that look way better than weatherlink im sad to say. But i have weatherlink IP i do not wanna change but man they need some serius work on it. any one wanna throw some ideas there way becaoue i think i did last year and got no respoce

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 06:11:47 PM »
Updating the look of the page is a matter of a few hours really...

The problem is that if you email Davis I dont think they are going to do anything. They are surely well aware of how outdated that page looks, so it is probably not that they dont know about it, but rather them not wanting to do anything about it.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 06:32:01 PM »
^ What he said.  Fuggeddaboudit!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Yank61s

• Davis Weatherlink
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 08:23:35 PM »
It's pretty sad that the money we all spend on Davis weather instruments an they provide dated software. Sure would be nice to see some updates

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 08:33:52 PM »
In this case it is even more absurd because it is just one page! One page, which looks like pages looked in the 20th century.

I dare to say it would take me an hour at most to make it at least a little bit like pages look today. One page! And the data is actually all there, it is just a matter of arranging it a bit better, use some more modern technologies (responsive design etc.) and it would make such a difference.

If I was to rate Davis in terms of their progress, R&D and trying to come up with something new, improve things etc. I would give them 1/10.

And I also think that until there will be some decent competition (because lets be honest - in terms of sensor quality etc. they are still unbeatable if we disregard professional stations) it is unlikely that there will be some major changes. In this case however it would really be a matter of maybe one day to redesign it, test the new design and release it... This is ignorance really... I just looked at it again now... it is really hard to believe thats what they offer. And you guys paid for this... I would probably hesitate if someone offered me money for using this :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:37:02 PM by Jáchym »

Offline Yank61s

• Davis Weatherlink
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 08:41:26 PM »
Very much agreed. I wonder how many phone calls and emails it would take to get some done?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 08:48:51 PM »
What they did was very smart. Your WL-IP router can only send data to the WL.com server, which basically gives you no other option and you pay even if you dont like it. If it was an open environment where you could choose which server/weather network you want to send your data to, Im sure things would be quite different because in the end it is always about money. If they get thousands of complains by email/phone they dont care because they know you have no other choice anyway so if they ignore you, you are still going to use it.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 09:20:18 PM »
I would guess that WL-IP is copyleft, so it should be possible to hack it. 
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 10:17:53 PM »
I have asked Davis Instruments many times to upgrade their Weatherlink software for the Mac only to be told that  was their most frequent request . Then said they sent it to the people who do their software and that is about it.  It really, really sucks in comparison to their Weatherlink for PC.   

That being said, I even asked for the IP weather link.com to allow to send also soil data in addition to  atmospheric data to Globe.gov.  and yet again it has been referred.  It leads me to a couple of conclusions.
1. Davis is happy with what they have. sales are good and why change when things are all profit. Ok, they changed their rain cone, big deal.
2. The software person doesn't really exist full time.  It is a kid in middle school who writes code when not surfing for a girl or boy friend.
3. They have no software person, probably farmed it out years ago and that person died or upped the price.
4. They have a motto , " If we continue to ignore them, perhaps they will stop asking and go away."

I just don't see any improvements. In fact on their web site, they list a number of 3rd party software companies that either haven't yet updated their software or are no longer functioning.

Yes, I could afford to buy a PC, or even bootcamp my imac, but I am not going to do that.   I do use Weatherdisplay, but it isn't as good as their PC version, and I do use weathercat.   Wim has modified his templates to snag the Weatherlink data going to the Weatherlink.com and for him, I am eternally greatful.

i need coffee

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 10:30:26 PM »
It would seem that Davis thinks like me. New and pretty would be nice, but functionality is the ONLY goal when there's a choice between the two. Davis' goal is for people to monitor wx conditions better than everyone else in their price range, not look pretty. I spent thirty years staring at ASOS displays (or the like), and trust me, pretty ain't a qualifying factor, displaying data to be read quickly and easily is. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I paid for what's out the door, not in.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 10:33:18 PM »
WLIP > Meteobridge.  Done and done.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 10:43:05 PM »
Just my 2 cents.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 10:58:39 PM »
Noone is arguing about data accuracy, but having accurate data doesn't mean it has to look so ugly

Offline Yank61s

• Davis Weatherlink
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 11:46:21 PM »
With all that has been said the only thing I use the weather link software for is to download daily data.