Author Topic: Thoughts on why my new Bloomsky Sky2 stopped reporting yesterday afternoon?  (Read 1696 times)

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
I was out performing snow removal for most of the day yesterday.  I noticed last night that my Sky2, which had been reporting faithfully for about 2 1/2 weeks was off the map and presumably offline.  I haven't had time to investigate other than to look at it this morning before work and see that there isn't any snow on the solar panel.  It probably had snow on it for a significant period yesterday as we had a long duration  snow storm.  I thought maybe it would start up again this morning when it became light out but it has not, at least not yet.  Or is this perhaps a problem with the Bloomsky server or connection to the server?  Is there a way to check?

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
My sky 1 crapped out as well.  it has been so cloudy here, we haven't had any significant sun and the panel probably hasn't been able to keep up with the issue.  I wish they would have on the app  a warning, other than way at the bottom the icons.

Bring the camera in and put it on the charger, allow it to warm up as well. See if that makes a difference.    Sometimes the battery depletes so deep that it can't recover.

Should that not revive it . CALL  Bloomsky,  and talk to a human. They are in California so you should try to grab them then.  I find their form and email of little use.  If it can't be fixed remotely, they will send you a replacement unit and you return the dead one.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:28:05 AM by Aardvark »

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Well, it started reporting again at about 11:30 this morning.  I guess yesterday's snow prevented the battery from charging.  I would have thought it could last for a few days without charging.  Then again, the sun is low this time of year and I doubt the solar panels get much if any direct sunlight.

Offline ClaireAnderson

• Best free weather app for iPhone & iPad
According to what i know BloomSky 2 has 3.7-volt (500-mAh) rechargeable battery that can last for one week after completely charging it or do you have to recharge the battery after 3 to 4 days??
Claire Anderson
http://www.weathermate.net
San Francisco, CA, USA

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
The Sky2 seems to stop reporting when the solar panel gets covered with snow, but the strange thing is that the battery still shows an almost full charge.  In the past the Sky2 returns to service when the solar panel is cleared off and the sun returns, but the last time I had to bring it in the house and configure it again with my phone after 3 days dead.