Author Topic: Meteobridge - A new appliance feeding Weather Underground and more...  (Read 27274 times)

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
Re: Meteobridge - A new appliance feeding Weather Underground and more...
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 06:42:30 PM »
It needs a Davis data logger to get the data out of the console.

Data stored inside Davis logger is currently not used. As most weather networks can't handle tons of delayed data very well and the Meteobridge is anyway always connected. As the low-lewel logging code of Meteobridge is the same as with Meteohub, this could be switched on quite easily. But I still doubt, that it makes much practical sense and it adds complexity of keeping dates in sync etc.

As said, when users do urgently need this, I can add it for the Davis products. 
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 06:04:40 PM »
Thanks for the answers Doc.  The problem I face is that I get to the Internet via WiMax packet radio and it does drop occasionally.  If the logger is not used at all then I would lose that interval when your device cannot connect to the network.  If you (and I am not sure exactly how you have this implemented so bear with  me...)  pop the last reading off the stack in the  logger  and then  continue to the current time I would not lose any weather once the device reconnects to the network.  Without this feature I would have to stay with my Netbook which continues to gather the weather off the ISS until it can reconnect to the Net and upload the data.  Makes sense?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 09:18:08 PM »
And another question...  Does it handle extra temp and temp/hum sensors??
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 04:11:19 AM »
Meteobridge does have an internal buffer where it stores up to 2000 weather network submissions. When data cannot be sent for any reason, Meteobridge can drop it, try again for distinct number of tries or can try endlessly. When buffer is full, oldest entries will be dropped.

Web interface allows to specify per weather network how this should be handled:
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 04:21:12 AM »
And another question...  Does it handle extra temp and temp/hum sensors??

Not yet. Vantage offers tons of additional sensor options, I don't think offering all of these will make too much sense. Most weather networks can hardly do something usefull with it. Meteohub has a sophisticated approach to select sensors and give them IDs. This is something I would like to keep away from Meteobridge, as it has an impact on usability for the standard user, who just wants the key data being transported to WU with as less hassle as possible.

Having said that, adding a few fixed ones like soil could be easily implemented, if the user-base does have an urgent need for that. It is still work in development.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 04:23:47 AM by docbee »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 10:44:05 AM »
Thanks Doc.  I did eventually find the 2000 slot limit; can you tell me is that 2000 individual readings (ie. outside hum = 1 reading, outside temp = 2...) so that the typical say, 10 minute reading would use 20 slots of the 2000 availableso that 2000 would last for 100x10 minutes or 1000 minutes?

As for extra sensors, the use of added temp additional temp hum sensors would be awesome.  VP pro allows for 8 extra temp sensors. I need them to monitor a couple extra.  PLease add them.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »
Each of the 2000 buckets holds a time stamped complete data set (including all sensors) to be uploaded to a weather network. 
When just one of the networks isn't reachable and your interval is 10 minutes that will give you a buffer of 20.000 minutes which is nearly 14 days. When you feed more weather networks or in shorter intervals buffer will more early run full, but I think it is still big enough.

According additional temp sensors, I will give it a thought.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 01:35:18 PM »
Thank you for the explanation.  14 days will do it (although keeping the logger function might still be nice).  The reason I need the added temp sensors is to keep track of lake water temp and my hot tub (which runs year round) and winter in the Monashees can be nasty so that a failure could be catastrophic.  I am really considering this product.  Looking better with each passing day. 

Offline bussez

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 08:30:10 AM »
I installed it in 3020 tp link firmware meteobridge, are currently satisfied with the operation and will buy the license at the end of the test period.
would be very useful to use the php script to give continuity to my website that uses delivery through weather display.
very interesting, however, this meteobridge.
you may think a meteobridge with 3g function? would be very useful for remote weather station.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 07:13:20 PM »
Regarding 3G... never say never, underlying OpenWrt does give some ontions on that... but still nothing for prime time.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2013, 12:39:26 PM »
I've got a Meteobridge working on a TP-LINK TL3020 reading my Davis VP1+ via TCP/IP using VirtualVP.

I'm working on generating a MB-plugin for the Saratoga template set :)

Complements to Boris -- I think this little box is a nice low cost/low power station with a reasonable feature set.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2013, 05:07:53 PM »
As soon as he adds extra temp/hum I am in.  Capacity for one fully populated four  sensor station would be enough for pretty much most everyone methinks.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 01:43:50 PM »
Release 1.1 brings some additional features, especially to make the saratoga templates working.
http://wiki.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Forum#Release_Log

Next release will cover extra sensors. Beta release (available for those having registered
their Meteobridge for receiving the latest builds) already has extra temp sensor support
for Vantage included.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
Cool!  thanks!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2013, 01:10:45 AM »
What is the lowest cost wx station that a guy could get that works with this product?  OS?  LaCrosse?

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2013, 02:13:51 PM »
I guess the Fine Offset Electronics clones like http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1090.html for $99
plus $5 for a USB hub, when you go with MR3020.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2013, 02:50:34 PM »
New release covers vantage extra temp sensors and thanks to Ken there
is a set of Saratoga templates including setup instructions for Meteobridge:
http://saratoga-weather.org/wxtemplates/setup-Meteobridge.php

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2013, 12:45:28 PM »
I have been studying meteobridge and it looks good except for two potential issues with my setup:

1. In the Southwestern United States, hydrological studies and records are maintained with October 1 as the beginning of the rainy season. Rainfall for the current year is never used. If I want to display the total rainfall for the current (or past) seasons it looks like the meteohub has no provisions for calculating rainfall since October 1. I could manually do it with Perl or PHP using SQL data, but it would be nice if there were a variable to sum rainfall between certain dates so I could take advantage of the template functionality.

2. I use soil moisture sensors and evapotranspiration to manage my irrigation needs. It would be nice to have some way of archiving these data.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2013, 06:50:07 PM »
ad 1) is a hard one, not sure how to fit that into the historical data storage concept of Meteobridge.

ad 2) is already done. Please see the screendump from a user in the Netherlands who had a similar request.

You will find info about recent updates here: http://meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Forum
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 06:53:16 PM by docbee »

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2013, 01:41:14 PM »
ad 1) is a hard one, not sure how to fit that into the historical data storage concept of Meteobridge.

Can't you just copy the "yearsum" function and replace the presumably hard-coded date (January 1?) with a user-defined date?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:55:36 PM by LABob »

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
Just a short update: Meteobridge does now also support the USB equipped Acurite stations, which are intreresting if you are on a tight budget.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
you did well to reverse engineer that one
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
Brian, thanks. Looks like it is the first non-Windows implementation. :shock:

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
1. In the Southwestern United States, hydrological studies and records are maintained with October 1 as the beginning of the rainy season. Rainfall for the current year is never used. If I want to display the total rainfall for the current (or past) seasons it looks like the meteohub has no provisions for calculating rainfall since October 1. I could manually do it with Perl or PHP using SQL data, but it would be nice if there were a variable to sum rainfall between certain dates so I could take advantage of the template functionality.

Meteobridge version released today allows to select a month to start annual rain calculation with.
Drop-down box for that is found on "system" tab. Wiki is also updated to reflect this.

Offline xtommo

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2013, 01:23:02 AM »
Has anyone created a iPhone template for the meteobridge??

anything