Author Topic: Love/hate relationship with AcuRite but is Davis any better?  (Read 3245 times)

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
Love/hate relationship with AcuRite but is Davis any better?
« on: October 24, 2016, 10:03:24 AM »
After 2.5 years my AcuRite 5 in 1 finally died. Previously, I had to lubricate the very noisy fan, then the wind vane deteriorated and now the temp sensor just went bad.  The bridge isn't much better since I had to solder on an external J pole antenna to get 125' range.  Other then that, I love the design where the sensor transmits data to both the bridge (for WU/remote monitoring) and console which can be in separate locations.  AcuRite is cheap at about $150.

Davis apparently has a much better sensor and longer advertised range but their solution for both a console and remote monitoring involves buying a second console and a $300 Weatherbridge IP module (ie "Kludge") just to connect to a router. $1000 total solution. (their consoles also look so dated - Atari era)

Is there any better solution to get something more similar to the AcuRite implementation but extended range and Davis "like" sensor quality.

If not, I guess I'll just plan on replacing AcuRite sensors every couple years as they fail.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
Re: Love/hate relationship with AcuRite but is Davis any better?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 10:48:35 AM »
Hi,

I have had a Davis VP Pro + for the last 4 years (bought in June 2012) and have not had any issues with it. I do not have an IP connection, I have a serial connection to a computer running 24/7 (power consumption of around 15 watts). My ISS is around 250 feet from the console, and goes through the roof and one wall. I have yet to replace the original battery that came with the unit. It is holding up very well. The anemometer is mounted on a 25 ft. telescoping flag pole and has the wireless anemometer connection.  Granted it is a chunk of change up front, but it is worth it. As for the "dated" look, I do not have an issue with it. Until someone comes along and gives the company a run for its money, they have no reason to change/upgrade the console. Plus, I am under the adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 02:16:27 PM »
^^^Thanks. I assume there is no Davis internet bridge to go from sensor direct to router wirelessly.

My understanding is that you'd have to buy a second console + Weather IP package to connect to a router?  (assuming the router is in a different location then the first console).  That adds up to another +$400 or so.

Is that correct?

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 02:50:00 PM »
Davis apparently has a much better sensor and longer advertised range but their solution for both a console and remote monitoring involves buying a second console and a $300 Weatherbridge IP module (ie "Kludge") just to connect to a router. $1000 total solution. (their consoles also look so dated - Atari era)

I'm about to purchase a Davis VP2+ and the way you are describing this is not the way I understand it working. Which model are you referencing in this post?

There may be a much better way to achieve what you ultimately want. Personally I don't look at the console of my current weather station, an Ambient Air WS-2080. It's mounted on the wall in the garage where it is plugged via USB into a computer on my workbench. That feeds Wunderground. I use the Wundergroun app on my iPad and my iPhone to view the data from my weather station. Considering that this app could run on an old iPad you have laying around that could be a second console and have extra uses.

My plan is to do pretty much the same thing with my Davis and IP bridge (BTW, shop around on the Davis. I found the IP link far cheaper than you mentioned, pm me for the source). I'm going to put the Davis console near a network drop (I have many in my home or you could put it near your router) then run the Weatherlink software from any computer connected to your network via wireless to read data directly from the console or use the app I mentioned to get it from Weather Underground.

Kevin Mahler
Skywarn Storm Spotter, AKQ3785
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 03:30:05 PM »

My plan is to do pretty much the same thing with my Davis and IP bridge (BTW, shop around on the Davis. I found the IP link far cheaper than you mentioned, pm me for the source). I'm going to put the Davis console near a network drop (I have many in my home or you could put it near your router) then run the Weatherlink software from any computer connected to your network via wireless to read data directly from the console or use the app I mentioned to get it from Weather Underground.

Thanks but I want a console in a specific room of the home to quickly view outdoor temp, etc.  I know I could use a laptop or phone to pull up the same info but all I want is a quick glance to see the real time data. If I put the console where my router is located I longer have that convenience which means a second console would be needed. (Davis really needs a wireless internet bridge). Is there any 3rd party solution to intercept the Davis wireless sensor broadcast and do this?

I guess I'll stick with AcuRite and budget having to toss/replace sensors every couple years. 

Davis's architecture/technical innovation moves at glacial speed. AcuRite has the right architecture but the hardware is "toy" quality.  Frustrated!!!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 03:34:41 PM »
What do you want, form or function? Very easy choice for me, not even a consideration.

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 03:37:31 PM »

Thanks but I want a console in a specific room of the home to quickly view outdoor temp, etc.  I know I could use a laptop or phone to pull up the same info but all I want is a quick glance to see the real time data. If I put the console where my router is located I longer have that convenience which means a second console would be needed. (Davis really needs a wireless internet bridge). Is there any 3rd party solution to intercept the Davis wireless sensor broadcast and do this?

I guess I'll stick with AcuRite and budget having to toss/replace sensors every couple years. 

Davis's architecture/technical innovation moves at glacial speed. AcuRite has the right architecture but the hardware is "toy" quality.  Frustrated!!!

Don't fret quite yet. Several companies make bridges that will work through the powerlines of your home. I think I paid about $60 for the last set I purchased. They don't run full speed Gig but then you are talking about a very little amount of data from the console. Here is a set on https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-TL-PA4010KIT/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=pd_lpo_147_bs_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=ZHDGA59G07309F31QV66&th=1 that runs $29.95. Put the Console where you want it, plug the Ethernet into this device then into the wall. Plug the second one into a wall plug near the router then run the Ethernet cable to the router.
Kevin Mahler
Skywarn Storm Spotter, AKQ3785
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 07:10:33 PM »

Meteobridge Pro
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 09:35:34 AM »
When acurite comes out with an anemometer that is separable, and a display to read from the properly placed sensors, then they will be way ahead of the pack. Right now, the smarthub is the only way to do this, and with the 5 in 1 mounted in a way that no matter where it is located, some readings will suffer.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 12:27:22 PM »
Their build quality will have to go WAY up to compete with Davis.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 03:24:56 PM »
When acurite comes out with an anemometer that is separable, and a display to read from the properly placed sensors, then they will be way ahead of the pack.
To a price point, perhaps, however compared to a Davis, I don't think so. That's merely trying to catch up.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 04:04:59 PM »
IMO, the build quality isn't any better than Oregon Scientific. The wind speed readings or humidity accuracy doesn't even compare. The thermometer is actually not too bad. The rain gauge is really good on acurite if it's calibrated right. My oregon gauge was perfect out of the box.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 04:08:50 PM »
IMO, the build quality isn't any better than Oregon Scientific. The wind speed readings or humidity accuracy doesn't even compare. The thermometer is actually not too bad. The rain gauge is really good on acurite if it's calibrated right. My oregon gauge was perfect out of the box.
To whom are you comparing?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 05:20:06 PM »
To whom are you comparing?
Acurite. I meant to quote Bushman.