Author Topic: Support for other than WU  (Read 2595 times)

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
Support for other than WU
« on: April 02, 2019, 02:43:35 PM »
Given the disaster that WU has turned in to, I sent a support request to AcuRite asking if they planned on any alternate offerings for "point and click" style posting of Access data.  Here's the response -

Thank you for your inquiry, I am happy to assist today.

We appreciate your time and feedback. I will forward this feedback to the appropriate team. With feedback from our AcuRite users, we can make improvements to provide the best AcuRite experience.

The changes with Weather Underground should be temporary, and hopefully should be completed soon. At this time I do not have any further information as to sharing with other sites.

Somehow I don't think they're going to address this, seriously, and I'm not surprised at all.   ](*,)
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
Re: Support for other than WU
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 02:52:33 PM »
Pretty much a "your message received and we want to look responsive" boilerplate answer...
I'd stay tuned, and maybe others who want alternatives too should chime in.

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 03:05:22 PM »
That’s the standard reply for most anything.  They rarely say anything publicly.  I’m surprised they made a direct comment regarding the wunderground situation at all.

They have laid the groundwork for supporting other services.  That’s been the plan since the SmartHUB was released.  MyAcuRite is laid out to support other communities.  The Access hardware  is begging to be unleashed.

I guess we’ll have to keep asking until they pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 03:15:20 PM »
I would urge all who read this thread to ask AcuRite the same question.  Maybe if enough people ask the same thing, something will actually happen.  AcuRite has a response time slower than molasses in January but maybe sheer numbers can speed it up.  Access has been around a couple of years already and is still locked to WU.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 04:13:47 PM »
You do know about Acuparse right?

https://www.acuparse.com/

Though I full well support continuing to remind Acurite (Chaney) that their support for other services is needed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 04:17:01 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 06:32:37 PM »
@galfert - I am aware that there are a multitude of ways to extract the data and use it on a website then use the website to share data with other services.  My point was a "point and click" solution as is currently provided solely for WU.  I, for one, am not about to set up a web server to share weather data.  I'm sure that a large number of 5N1 and Atlas user feel the same way, but that is a guess and my opinion.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 08:06:34 PM »
Acuparse does not run on a website. It runs on your local network on just about any host computer you want and it is popular to use cheap Raspberry Pi system. In fact you don't even need the Internet to use Acuparse. It isn't a point and click solution because it isn't part of what Acurite gives you and requires you set this software up. But it isn't exactly complicated like you are not expected to need understand code and write scripts. It's pretty well documented and there are plenty of people to ask for help in this community.

But regardless I don't understand your take on not wanting to set up a website to share data (which isn't a requirement), yet you are seeking for ways to publish data to other online services which accomplishes exactly that, which is to share data publicly.

I think you should explore the Acuparse solution and understand it fully before you make up your opinion on it.

My point is that you have probably done all of the following or at least most of these things and more; use a computer, you know how to install software, you've dabbled in making a spreadsheet, you pay taxes with tax software, you do online banking, you manage a smartphone and all its various apps, you've set up a home WiFi router, and you have your own weather station. So what is one more peice of software which is all that Acuparse is?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 08:57:45 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 08:36:56 PM »
I do not want to run additional software, be that a web server or feeding a Raspberry Pi or any other dongles, mini pcs or other auxiliary equipment.  That is my choice.  I choose to share the data because it was point and click from the Access "device" and that's about as deep into it as I want to go.  I already am running a 24/7/365 VMS and a large desktop, also 24/7/365, for folding@home.  I don't want those services interfered with by yet another program, the CPU utilization is enough already, not to mention the power consumption of yet another device, even a Pi.

I do think that Chaney/AcuRite should support other posting sources in any event.  It is kind of limiting to only have WU as a choice, unless they're, somehow, involved with IBM or WU in some manner.  That is only speculation and not based on any specific knowledge.  Maybe they're just lazy, beats me.

Offline jas340

• Lone Pine Ranch  Horseshoe Bend, Idaho  USA
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 08:56:09 PM »
IPTimelapse has dropped WU and instead adopted PWS in their latest patch. Good to see.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 12:38:49 AM »
@galfert - I am aware that there are a multitude of ways to extract the data and use it on a website then use the website to share data with other services.  My point was a "point and click" solution as is currently provided solely for WU.  I, for one, am not about to set up a web server to share weather data.  I'm sure that a large number of 5N1 and Atlas user feel the same way, but that is a guess and my opinion.

Yes, there are quite a few ACTUAL ACURITE users who feel that way.

I don't understand why people with zero experience tell others what they should want.

Offline fastracer

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 02:27:59 AM »
Acuparse does not run on a website. It runs on your local network on just about any host computer you want and it is popular to use cheap Raspberry Pi system. In fact you don't even need the Internet to use Acuparse. It isn't a point and click solution because it isn't part of what Acurite gives you and requires you set this software up. But it isn't exactly complicated like you are not expected to need understand code and write scripts. It's pretty well documented and there are plenty of people to ask for help in this community.

But regardless I don't understand your take on not wanting to set up a website to share data (which isn't a requirement), yet you are seeking for ways to publish data to other online services which accomplishes exactly that, which is to share data publicly.

I think you should explore the Acuparse solution and understand it fully before you make up your opinion on it.

My point is that you have probably done all of the following or at least most of these things and more; use a computer, you know how to install software, you've dabbled in making a spreadsheet, you pay taxes with tax software, you do online banking, you manage a smartphone and all its various apps, you've set up a home WiFi router, and you have your own weather station. So what is one more peice of software which is all that Acuparse is?

Are there any guides to set this up other then the Acuparse site? I went through the setup a few times and I get to the end and it asks for a username and password to setup...I cant get past that setup...nothing works. Whatever I put in...it goes to a blank web page with a number 1 in the top left...that's it. Any recommendations on what Im doing wrong?

Thanks!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 07:14:36 AM »

Are there any guides to set this up other then the Acuparse site? I went through the setup a few times and I get to the end and it asks for a username and password to setup...I cant get past that setup...nothing works. Whatever I put in...it goes to a blank web page with a number 1 in the top left...that's it. Any recommendations on what Im doing wrong?

Thanks!

Need more information.. What device are you using? A SmartHub or an Access? Do you have a Weather Underground Account set up with station ID and password? I'm just not sure what step you are on as there is also a local root and SQL password that you could be referring to. Provide link to installation instructions that you are following and then tell us exactly what step you are on. Also tell us about the system that you have Acuparse running on, what is it?
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 07:23:06 AM »

I don't understand why people with zero experience tell others what they should want.

OH so I'm not capable of giving out help because I don't own an ACTUAL ACURITE station? I give out help for Davis stations too and I have people thanking me and I don't own an ACTUAL DAVIS station. I've read other station manuals cover to cover and I've spent years reading every post on this forum dating back to further years back before I joined. I'm also an IT professional and I give out help on software and hardware that I've never ACTUALLY touched. I'm informed and then some. So I'm qualified.

Also I'm not telling people what to do. I'm informing of options and possibilities. It's up to them to continue researching these options and evaluate the advice given. It's just advice not a commanding. Everyone makes their own bed.

Every time you insult other people I start to get PMs from others. Why don't you try and act more civil and others might start to like you better.

You can have the last word. Ultimately I trust that others have already made up their mind about you and me. So there is nothing more for me to say and this thing with you is getting old yet continues to happen. I've never once been out of line. You've had moderators several times pull out the yellow card on you.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 11:19:28 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 07:35:57 AM »
@galfert - I am not trying to be offensive but I know I can be blunt.  I tried to explain my position reasonably.  You can take that whatever way you want.  If I've been "yellow carded" so be it.  The information you provide is certainly solid and, if I were interested in delving further, I would take it.  I am just trying to get AcuRite (AcuWrong) to move and improve their product in view of the mess that WU has become.

By the way is a "yellow card" like "double secret probation"?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 07:42:12 AM »
@galfert - I am not trying to be offensive but I know I can be blunt.  I tried to explain my position reasonably.  You can take that whatever way you want.  If I've been "yellow carded" so be it.  The information you provide is certainly solid and, if I were interested in delving further, I would take it.  I am just trying to get AcuRite (AcuWrong) to move and improve their product in view of the mess that WU has become.

By the way is a "yellow card" like "double secret probation"?

I think you took that last comment to be directed at you and it wasn't. It was a response only to nincehelser as you can see I quoted him.

On this forum when you quote someone that means you are responding to them.

Also for the record I took no offense to your first response. And I agree with you as I said in my first post in this thread. I think Acurite should do more to support what their user's want.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 07:47:05 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 09:12:23 AM »
Given the disaster that WU has turned in to, I sent a support request to AcuRite asking if they planned on any alternate offerings for "point and click" style posting of Access data.  Here's the response -

Thank you for your inquiry, I am happy to assist today.

We appreciate your time and feedback. I will forward this feedback to the appropriate team. With feedback from our AcuRite users, we can make improvements to provide the best AcuRite experience.

The changes with Weather Underground should be temporary, and hopefully should be completed soon. At this time I do not have any further information as to sharing with other sites.

Somehow I don't think they're going to address this, seriously, and I'm not surprised at all.   ](*,)

Back a few months ago I had bought an AcuRite PWS (5in1/Access/console/extras), and had a 'support chat' in February with AcuRite about upload support for other services besides their own and WU, partial transcript below.
Seemed to me to be a serious product deficiency, I won't buy any more AcuRite stuff until it changes.

The PWS universe is slowly getting 'commodized', the sooner the better.
No more of all this proprietary crap, open it up, let the users-market decide. Impose some industry standards, like the marine industry did with NMEA. Try out some different approaches to RF, like using DECT for sensor-console/IPdev comms. Etcetc...

Support chat:
Me: "Is there any way to have this PWS communicate with other weather services besides WU and Acurite? WX services like CWOP?"
AcuRite: "At this time we only communicate with Weather Underground and Myacurite.com"
Me: "Does the Atlas model do so?"
AcuRite: "Regrettably, it does not all our online devices only work with Weather Underground and Myacurite.com"

There would be such a simple software fix to allow comms with other PWS upload websites (CWOP, PWS, etc), and AcuRite (and other PWS vendors) apparently have no intention of doing that very easy addition.
With most PWS's you have to buy tons of extra, expensive, devices and software just to accomplish such a simple task (looking at Davis here, especially).
I'd luv to 'upgrade' my PWS, but no way will I justify all that extra cost and bull---- (other priorities, like an 7ton seawater moneypit  :shock:).

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 09:17:49 AM »
That’s the standard reply for most anything.  They rarely say anything publicly. I’m surprised they made a direct comment regarding the wunderground situation at all.

They have laid the groundwork for supporting other services.  That’s been the plan since the SmartHUB was released.  MyAcuRite is laid out to support other communities.  The Access hardware  is begging to be unleashed.

I guess we’ll have to keep asking until they pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got an answer to your first sentences, see post above.

"The Access hardware  is begging to be unleashed."... yeah, riiiigghht... :roll:

Offline HH2

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 09:48:48 AM »
It's nice to see the daily history problem corrected on WU.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 10:53:43 AM »

@nincehelser, I don't understand why you persist in making rude comments casting aspersions on others like this example.

A polite and non-hostile response would have been:
I agree, and think other Acurite users probably feel the same way.

Your advice on things Acurite appears to be informative -- your hostile side-comments are definitely not welcomed.  Facts yes, aspersions NO.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 11:34:58 AM »
I give up with WU and AcuWrong is next.  This just isn't worth the aggravation.  Sharing from KNJSOUTH36 has ended.

Offline fastracer

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 12:51:27 PM »

Thanks!

Need more information.. What device are you using? A SmartHub or an Access? Do you have a Weather Underground Account set up with station ID and password? I'm just not sure what step you are on as there is also a local root and SQL password that you could be referring to. Provide link to installation instructions that you are following and then tell us exactly what step you are on. Also tell us about the system that you have Acuparse running on, what is it?

Thank you....I'm using a Raspberry pi with Raspbian os, Acurite Smarthub, I have a Acurite 5in1 PWS, Weather Underground and PWS accounts. Im following this link:
https://github.com/acuparse/acuparse/wiki/Installation-on-Raspberry-Pi
 I'm sure its the SQL password that I'm having issues with. When it asks me on my setup on the pi it doesn't show that I'm typing a password (I did read that might be normal). Sorry for being a noob...just starting using Raspbian...I'm a Windows guy  #-o
I appreciate your help..thanks again! :)

Rob

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 01:06:47 PM »
Your advice on things Acurite appears to be informative -- your hostile side-comments are definitely not welcomed.  Facts yes, aspersions NO.

I'm just tired of the bad information that gets spread on this forum.  I'm tired of the insults to newcomers.  I'm tired of people being harassed for their writing style.  I'm tired of inflated egos that want to "teach" everybody flawed information.

I'm tired of special rules for me while others run amok.

I'll just post my informative stuff somewhere else, I guess.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 01:08:47 PM by nincehelser »

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2019, 02:08:59 PM »
There are no 'special rules' for you.  The same rules apply to everyone -- you are one of the very few that seem to respond to comments in a hostile and/or derogatory manner.

Feel free to post informative stuff here as you like.  You simply need to stop adding side comments that run against the registration agreement part that states
You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law.

I think that your side comments fall into the 'defamatory', 'abusive' and sometimes 'harassing' behavior categories .. hence the caution.

Respond to queries/comments with just facts and omit any content that casts aspersions on the other participants in the thread.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 02:28:07 PM »
There are no 'special rules' for you.  The same rules apply to everyone -- you are one of the very few that seem to respond to comments in a hostile and/or derogatory manner.

Feel free to post informative stuff here as you like.  You simply need to stop adding side comments that run against the registration agreement part that states
You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law.

I think that your side comments fall into the 'defamatory', 'abusive' and sometimes 'harassing' behavior categories .. hence the caution.

Respond to queries/comments with just facts and omit any content that casts aspersions on the other participants in the thread.

Apparently you don't read many of the comments here.  There are aspersions thrown all the time.

I have done nothing against the registration agreement.  The fact that you would even post that is insulting.

I'm done.   I'm not going to air some of the more egregious abuses in public.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 08:38:34 PM »
And a big effing "F" to the non-support for folks in my area from wxforum... 

http://sandhillsexpress.com/local-news/drone-video-shows-widespread-flooding-near-peru/

Less than 1/4 mile from my location.   Yes, I'm pissed at the ass-hats who push it off as nothing.

ZERO COMMUNITY from this website!!!!  Just support the damn idiots who don't know shit!

All talk, no support!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 08:50:00 PM by nincehelser »

anything