Author Topic: Access blinking red  (Read 1741 times)

Offline mrunhem

Access blinking red
« on: March 08, 2019, 12:06:26 PM »
Hi,
After installing my new Acurite Atlas I am trying to get the Access to work.
I only get the blinking red light...

Tried most things: Connected the ethernet cable to another switch, changed the cable, restarted a zillion times, did a reset etc etc.
No luck.

(I also tried the acurite support chat but after two hours of waiting I am still "Queue position: 1" so I suspect there is nobody manning the chat support...)

I suspect the connection problem might have something to do with me being located in Sweden.
Since Acurite is blocking European access to the acurite website, only displaying the message https://www.acurite.com/gdpr, I am suspecting that my connection problems might be caused by this...

Any ideas?

Best regards from a very windy Stockholm!

/Mikael Runhem

(Even though Acurite is selling the Atlas internationally through Amazon, I think that this equipment is US only. There is no support for the m/s setting and it is impossible to register a device from a non-English country on myacurite (without pretending to be in the Us and use a US zip code).... A very strange approach in this internet era...)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Access blinking red
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 12:55:34 PM »
Yeah, non-North American location is probably it.  Just use a VPN to pretend you are in the US.  Once registered, it should be OK (although not sure about DST, time-offsets, etc.)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline mrunhem

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 03:27:14 PM »
thanks,
will be a major problem to map my entire network through a vpn...

Looks like the Atlas will end up in the trash can... $400 wasted...

/M

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 03:37:42 PM »
I suspect the connection problem might have something to do with me being located in Sweden.
Since Acurite is blocking European access to the acurite website, only displaying the message https://www.acurite.com/gdpr, I am suspecting that my connection problems might be caused by this...

Any ideas?

Best regards from a very windy Stockholm!

/Mikael Runhem

(Even though Acurite is selling the Atlas internationally through Amazon, I think that this equipment is US only. There is no support for the m/s setting and it is impossible to register a device from a non-English country on myacurite (without pretending to be in the Us and use a US zip code).... A very strange approach in this internet era...)

What the...! SMH... :roll:  I can't even....

Well you can put the Access behind a second router and then have that router terminate a VPN tunnel. (You could do it via pfSense also). That way your entire network isn't behind a VPN. If you rather not deal with it then put up the Acurite station on eBay....don't just trash it. You should be able to recover at least 50%. Bummer.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:48:43 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 03:45:04 PM »
....On second thought....Why don't you just try and return it via Amazon Returns. Just claim it is broken. That is ridiculous that they allow this sale and then they don't support it. You shouldn't have to pay for that. Another recourse is your credit card. Some really decent cards offer buyer protection for vendors that don't play fair.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:46:45 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 03:49:41 PM »
Return it to Amazon.

Amazon is a reseller.  Why they sell into regions Acurite does not support is beyond me.

Offline mrunhem

Re: Access blinking red SOLVED!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 11:01:06 AM »
Hi, thanks for the suggestions.

Being an ex-support guy I did some serious effort to solve this, and I did!

First I tested a couple of VPN services but had some problem getting the sharing of the VPN to work on my Mac.
But then I realized I got the Acurite Access device to work, just by adding it to the Ethernet port of my Mac (with Intenet sharing of the WiFI home connection)!
Great!
But why did it not work to connect it directly to the network switch?
Tested to connect it to another of my Netgear switches without success. I also tried different cables, same result.

Then I tested to put another (desktop) switch from Netgear between the Access and the regular switch. (Both plain, unmanaged, regular switches)

And it worked!

Conclusion: There is something fishy in the ethernet port of the Access (I have about 70 other devices in my home that works fine). Perhaps it needs a few mV extra?

So, it's up and running.
And exporting to https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IVAXHOLM31

And since the Weather Underground IOS app supports our local m/s wind measurement units, all is good :-)

/Mike

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 12:27:27 PM »
Hmm...so it isn't region locked and you don't need a VPN?

Could it be that you need to have plugged in the Ethernet port first before giving the Access power? Or could it be that the switch or router you were using does not negotiate 100 Mbps connection. I don't know if the Access is 100 only or 100/1000 Mbps? Or maybe something like that.

What was the device router or switch that it originally didn't work with?
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Access blinking red SOLVED!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 01:15:44 PM »
Hi, thanks for the suggestions.

Being an ex-support guy I did some serious effort to solve this, and I did!

First I tested a couple of VPN services but had some problem getting the sharing of the VPN to work on my Mac.
But then I realized I got the Acurite Access device to work, just by adding it to the Ethernet port of my Mac (with Intenet sharing of the WiFI home connection)!
Great!
But why did it not work to connect it directly to the network switch?
Tested to connect it to another of my Netgear switches without success. I also tried different cables, same result.

Then I tested to put another (desktop) switch from Netgear between the Access and the regular switch. (Both plain, unmanaged, regular switches)

And it worked!

Conclusion: There is something fishy in the ethernet port of the Access (I have about 70 other devices in my home that works fine). Perhaps it needs a few mV extra?

So, it's up and running.
And exporting to https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IVAXHOLM31

And since the Weather Underground IOS app supports our local m/s wind measurement units, all is good :-)

/Mike

Maybe in your cable and port swapping the Access came on-line and spent a little time downloading and installing the latest firmware that came out a few weeks ago.  Perhaps you didn't notice it was working until it suddenly came up operational?