Author Topic: 12 VDC solar panels, fans & piezo transducers at All Electronics  (Read 1612 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
The All Electronics ad in the May Nuts and Volts has 3 watt 12 volt solar panels for $17.95. Operating current of 0.18 amp.

It might make a nice power source for a home made DFARS. There are several fans on their DC fan page that seem to be suitable for that panel as part of a home made DFARS.

They also have [urlhttp://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/PE-56/21MM-PIEZO-ELEMENT/1.html]21 mm Piezo Elements[/url] for a dollar which would be suitable for flat-plate rain sensors/disdrometers.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: 12 VDC solar panels, fans & piezo transducers at All Electronics
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 03:48:04 PM »
The solar panel shows dimensions of 188MM x 195MM, or about 7-1/2" square.

I wonder how that would work for a remote IP camera?

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 04:25:02 PM »
That's the fun of engineering. :) Look at the camera specs for the dc power voltage and amperage required. Then you will know what to design to.

According to the specs, my old wireless D-Link DSS-1000W requires 5 volts at 1.3 amps or 6.5 watts. Clearly, this panel by itself won't run it. Too high volts, too low amps. 3 of them might, but it would require an efficient 12 v to 5 volt DC to DC converter. 8 panels would also work, wired in parallel, with a 5 volt linear regulator and a big heat sink.

Actually, if I were designing a system like this, I'd measure the camera's current draw myself, rather than relying on published specs.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 04:51:01 PM by SLOweather »

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 04:59:15 PM »
...I'd swamp that linear regulator to a more efficiency (but certainly more costly) modular switching regulator. The increase in operating efficiency would make it worthwhile in the long run.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

anything