Author Topic: Please QA my anticipated Vantage Pro2 purchase  (Read 1165 times)

Offline shimon

Please QA my anticipated Vantage Pro2 purchase
« on: October 26, 2014, 08:41:37 PM »
I'm going to be buying a set-up to hook up to WU initially and maybe to my hosted server in the future. 

The system will be Vantage Pro 2 wireless w/ fan option.  I'm still not sure if I want the console or not as I plan to use the WU app on my tablet or phone primarily.  Although after crunching numbers, the cost difference is only $100 for the console set-up (6153) vs the ISS only (6323) based on 'package pricing' with a 6510USB WeatherLink.

I plan on having the WeatherLink 6510USB hooked up to an Envoy or Envoy 8X which would preclude the need for a console (please, correct me if I'm wrong here).  Or, if I do get the console, it will allow the console to be free of cables and make it more 'portable' or wall-mountable.  I'm not sure which Envoy to get.  I don't plan on getting more than one ISS but I do like that the 8X and has more memory.  It's less than $100 more than the regular Envoy which isn't that much.

For connectivity, I will be purchasing a Meteobridge license and a TL-MR3040 router (I have one to control my DSLR and many at work for connecting to PLCs).  I like that it has a built in battery.  I know the TL-MR3020 is usually the router of choice, but I believe the 3040 works too.  And a Belkin F5U407 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub to convert the 1.1 to 2.0 USB.

I've taken a look at some of the WU pages people have and overall, I like them but I like this page better: http://www.trebacz.com/weather/index.html (as an example).  I would like to eventually show what the weather was on the same date for all the previous years.  I imagine I would need software similar to what the guy is running...I believe it's 'wview'.

Anyway, I've spent a number of hours reading through old post on this forum to help me understand what hardware I would need and I think I'm just about there.  I would appreciate some feedback from experienced forum members to see if I'm heading down the right path or if they have any other recommendations/ideas.

From many posts, it appears as if rainmanweather.com, ambientweather.com or weatherbuffs.com would be good sources for these products.  I will pay a little more for good customer service and after-purchase help.  From what I've read, it seems as if these three vendors provide good customer service.

Thanks!  I've found this forum to be a wonderful resource so far and look forward to 'hanging-out' a little more once I get up and running.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
Re: Please QA my anticipated Vantage Pro2 purchase
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 06:25:27 AM »
This is perhaps the best preliminary investigation I have seen recorded.

Two comments. Buy the console. If you decide you don't want it, I'm sure you can sell it "new" for more than $100.

You're in the NW and the vendors listed are probably relatively close to you but you should add "https://www.scaledinstruments.com/". Ryan is excellent.

FWIW

George

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:00:17 AM »
I'm going to be buying a set-up to hook up to WU initially and maybe to my hosted server in the future. 

The system will be Vantage Pro 2 wireless w/ fan option.  I'm still not sure if I want the console or not as I plan to use the WU app on my tablet or phone primarily.  Although after crunching numbers, the cost difference is only $100 for the console set-up (6153) vs the ISS only (6323) based on 'package pricing' with a 6510USB WeatherLink.

I plan on having the WeatherLink 6510USB hooked up to an Envoy or Envoy 8X which would preclude the need for a console (please, correct me if I'm wrong here).  Or, if I do get the console, it will allow the console to be free of cables and make it more 'portable' or wall-mountable.  I'm not sure which Envoy to get.  I don't plan on getting more than one ISS but I do like that the 8X and has more memory.  It's less than $100 more than the regular Envoy which isn't that much.
The Envoy 8X is a totally different device and only partly supported by normal weather-programs. And as far as I know not supported by Meteobridge you are plannig to use. So you will be spending more money and getting less flexibility. And in your setup your weatherdata is also logged at WeatherUnderground.com so you do not need a bigger 8x where the normal envoy already stores weeks of data.
For connectivity, I will be purchasing a Meteobridge license and a TL-MR3040 router (I have one to control my DSLR and many at work for connecting to PLCs).  I like that it has a built in battery.  I know the TL-MR3020 is usually the router of choice, but I believe the 3040 works too.
TL-MR3040 works OK http://meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware
And a Belkin F5U407 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub to convert the 1.1 to 2.0 USB.

I've taken a look at some of the WU pages people have and overall, I like them but I like this page better: http://www.trebacz.com/weather/index.html (as an example).  I would like to eventually show what the weather was on the same date for all the previous years.  I imagine I would need software similar to what the guy is running...I believe it's 'wview'.
You already have Meteobridge as your "weather-program" connected to your 6510USB.
One can ONLY connect 1 weather-computer to 1 logger. Even the WLIP is bound to one weather-program at-a-time. So if you want to use another  "weather-program"  (you mention wview) you will need an extra logger/console or logger/envoy. The common solution to run multiple "weather-programs" using a PC running VirtualVP does not work anymore with the "green-dot" loggers.

But with Meteobridge there are already two complete templates you could investigate. Both Saratoga from Ken True as my Leuven-template.
Anyway, I've spent a number of hours reading through old post on this forum to help me understand what hardware I would need and I think I'm just about there.  I would appreciate some feedback from experienced forum members to see if I'm heading down the right path or if they have any other recommendations/ideas.

From many posts, it appears as if rainmanweather.com, ambientweather.com or weatherbuffs.com would be good sources for these products.  I will pay a little more for good customer service and after-purchase help.  From what I've read, it seems as if these three vendors provide good customer service.

Thanks!  I've found this forum to be a wonderful resource so far and look forward to 'hanging-out' a little more once I get up and running.
Succes, Wim

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 09:33:05 AM »
If you want multiple concurrent PUSH services (Twitter, SQL etc.) you should use the recommenced DLink router.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 09:46:29 AM »
The Envoy 8X is a totally different device and only partly supported by normal weather-programs. And as far as I know not supported by Meteobridge you are plannig to use. So you will be spending more money and getting less flexibility.

Unless you have multiple ISS or special configurations, the Envoy8x is probably not the right choice. It is correct that the Envoy 8x is not supported by meteobridge.

The Envoy 8x is supported by meteohub. I have it running on a Raspberry Pi and it works very well with the Envoy 8x. However, I have two anemometer transmitters, a Temp/Hum station with combinations reported as three ISSs.
For a single, simple setup the standard Envoy or a console (VUE can work) is the best bet, especially for meteobridge.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline shimon

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 11:24:17 AM »
Thank you all for taking the time to help me.  I appreciate it.

I now understand the difference between the Envoy and Envoy 8X.  I will go with the standard Envoy.  I don't need to output to more than one weather 'program' at a time.  I will start out with WU and later, if I want, I may switch to something else.  But, it's good to know that each Envoy/data logger can only put out to one program; I didn't pick that up in my initial research.  This WX Forum is already paying dividends.

I now feel more confident placing my order for the hardware.  Thank you again for all your expertise.