Author Topic: Atlas Lightning Sensor Vs. Stand Alone Lightning Sensor?  (Read 20599 times)

Offline SkellyCA

Re: Atlas Lightning Sensor Vs. Stand Alone Lightning Sensor?
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2018, 11:19:37 PM »
Earlier in this thread it was posted the both the Atlas sensor and the Stand Alone sensor are both probably based on the AS3935 chip. So they should be similar right? When you look at the user manual for the stand alone sensor it has these guidelines...

How does your placement align with these guidelines? Trying to solve the problem, lets eliminate these possibilities...

Stand Alone User Manual

Battery Recommendations:

AcuRite recommends high quality
alkaline or lithium batteries in
the wireless sensor for the best
product performance. Heavy duty
or rechargeable batteries are not
recommended.
The sensor requires lithium batteries
in low temperature conditions. Cold
temperatures can cause alkaline
batteries to function improperly. Use
lithium batteries in the sensor for
temperatures below -4ºF / -20ºC.

So here are the guidelines for the Stand Alone...

Placement for Maximum Accuracy

AcuRite sensors are sensitive to surrounding environmental conditions. Proper
placement of the sensor is critical to the accuracy and performance of this
product.

Sensor Placement

Sensor must be placed outside to observe outdoor conditions.
Sensor is water resistant and is designed for general outdoor use,
however, to extend its life place the sensor in an area protected
from direct weather elements.
Hang the sensor using the integrated hanger, or by using string
(not included) to hang it from a suitable location, like a well
covered tree branch. The best location is 4 to 8 feet above the
ground with permanent shade and plenty of fresh air to circulate
around the sensor.

Important Placement Guidelines

• Sensor must be within 330 feet (100 meters) of a companion unit
(sold separately).
MAXIMIZE WIRELESS RANGE
Place unit away from large metallic items, thick walls, metal surfaces, or other
objects that may limit wireless communication.
PREVENT WIRELESS INTERFERENCE
Place unit at least 3 feet (90 cm) away from electronic devices (TV, computer,
microwave, radio, etc.).
LOCATE AWAY FROM HEAT SOURCES
To ensure accurate temperature measurement, place sensor out of direct
sunlight and away from any heat sources.
LOCATE AWAY FROM HUMIDITY SOURCES
To ensure accurate humidity measurement, locate sensor away from humidity
sources. Avoid installing the sensor near indoor pools, spas, or other bodies of
water. Water sources may impact humidity accuracy.
Lightning Detection
The sensor detects cloud-to-cloud, cloud-to-ground and intra-cloud lightning.
When lightning is detected, the sensor will beep and the strike indicator will
flash for each of the first 10 strikes. After 10 strikes, the sensor will enter silent
mode but will continue to flash. The sensor will stay in silent mode for 2 hours
after the last lightning detection.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:30:39 PM by SkellyCA »
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2018, 11:51:39 PM »
Earlier in this thread it was posted the both the Atlas sensor and the Stand Alone sensor are both probably based on the AS3935 chip. So they should be similar right? When you look at the user manual for the stand alone sensor it has these guidelines...

Not necessarily.  I have several devices based on the AS3935, and the sensitivity seems to vary.  I don't know if that's due to the particular antenna design or some other settable parameter in the chip.

Here's a spec sheet on the AS3935 for those who want to dig deeper...

https://www.embeddedadventures.com/datasheets/AS3935_Datasheet_EN_v2.pdf

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2018, 08:54:19 AM »

This appears to be an antenna used for these AS3935 based systems: https://www.coilcraft.com/ma5532.cfm

The AS3935 board interfaced to my Blitzortung controller is from Embedded Adventures. There appears to be a number of Arduino and Raspberry Pi projects such as this: https://coffeewithrobots.com/detecting-lightning-with-a-raspberry-pi/

These projects might be interesting for some who like to tinker.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2018, 09:10:28 AM »

This appears to be an antenna used for these AS3935 based systems: https://www.coilcraft.com/ma5532.cfm

The AS3935 board interfaced to my Blitzortung controller is from Embedded Adventures. There appears to be a number of Arduino and Raspberry Pi projects such as this: https://coffeewithrobots.com/detecting-lightning-with-a-raspberry-pi/

Greg H.

Just to clarify:  The AS3935 was "Local" option for the Blitzortung System Red controllers..,. it was discontinued in the current BLUE system, and is not supported.  It proved problematic for most locations, and useless regarding the network, contributing nothing to the Blitzortung paradigm of strike locating. Greg's setup is a rarity, mostly due to his efforts and experience...  For many locations the issue again was nearby 'disturbers' and noise triggering. Inherently, from the Network concept of Blitzortung, lightning alerts can be configured in both RED and BLUE systems, if properly configured.... but that is not the purpose of the Blitzortung Network.

Incidentally.... for the next week or so, the Blitzortung ORG Net will be moving to new servers, so there may be some strange data and experiences... let it shake out.  It is likely that the older GREEN system data may not be available initially, for example,
Mike

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2018, 09:30:01 AM »

Greg H.

Just to clarify:  The AS3935 was "Local" option for the Blitzortung System Red controllers..,. it was discontinued in the current BLUE system, and is not supported.  It proved problematic for most locations, and useless regarding the network, contributing nothing to the Blitzortung paradigm of strike locating. Greg's setup is a rarity, mostly due to his efforts and experience...  For many locations the issue again was nearby 'disturbers' and noise triggering. Inherently, from the Network concept of Blitzortung, lightning alerts can be configured in both RED and BLUE systems, if properly configured.... but that is not the purpose of the Blitzortung Network.

Incidentally.... for the next week or so, the Blitzortung ORG Net will be moving to new servers, so there may be some strange data and experiences... let it shake out.  It is likely that the older GREEN system data may not be available initially, for example,
Mike

Indeed, Blitzortung RED was discontinued. The AS3935 was interfaced to the STM32 eval board that the earlier RED controller used. This involved connecting to specific ports on the STM32 board.

One of the Arduino or Raspberry Pi projects would be the way to go, or maybe hack into the Acu-Rite portable unit if you are so inclined. (thus voiding warranty, etc.)

I did open the Acu-Rite portable unit when it first came out to confirm that it used the AS3935. The others, probably use it, but I haven't seen any verification on this.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2018, 12:08:10 PM »
I'm curious about how many people reading this thread have an Atlas unit (commercial - not the beta units) with the lightning detection option and are NOT experiencing problems with false detection of lightning.

Thanks.

Offline WonderWX

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2018, 12:25:30 PM »
Batteries:

•Verify you are using fresh alkaline batteries or lithium batteries (when temperature is below -4°F/-20°C) in sensor.

•Quality brand batteries are recommended, including Duracell Coppertops (Black and copper), Rayovac, Energizer, or Kirkland.

•Verify batteries are fresh. The battery expiration date should be at least 6 years out. Batteries can lose 3% power or more every year in storage.

•Heavy duty, extra strength or generic / store brand batteries are not recommended for use with AcuRite products because they may cause performance irregularities due to the way these types of batteries disperse power. Each battery should not exceed 1.6 volts.

-Remove the batteries from the sensor
-Remove the lighting detector from the sensor
-Plug in the detector again (Make sure the lightning detector is fully installed, you will hear two 'Clicks')
-Reset your display (Enter display menu by pressing the gear button all the way on the left then arrow down to Factory Reset in the Menu settings. Change the next option to "YES" then the display will tell you to press the "Check mark" twice.)
-Reinstall batteries in sensor
-Search for sensor on the display

I removed the Energizer Ultimate Lithium  (which was reported as working successfully by someone) - these tested at 1.7volts
Replaced with Duracel Quantum alkaline (are they considered "heavy duty"?) - these tested at 1.6volts, and seemed to generate as many, or more false strikes than the lithium (have not yet reviewed the logs).
Removed Quantum and replaced with regular Duracell coppertop, tested at 1.59 volts.    Still generating false strikes.
All batteries were brand new and fresh.

Will seek warranty replacement of the lightning sensor.  :-(

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2018, 12:28:08 PM »
I'm curious about how many people reading this thread have an Atlas unit (commercial - not the beta units) with the lightning detection option and are NOT experiencing problems with false detection of lightning.

Thanks.

I've been running a commercial unit since last week with no problems.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2018, 12:31:24 PM »
Batteries:

•Verify you are using fresh alkaline batteries or lithium batteries (when temperature is below -4°F/-20°C) in sensor.

•Quality brand batteries are recommended, including Duracell Coppertops (Black and copper), Rayovac, Energizer, or Kirkland.

•Verify batteries are fresh. The battery expiration date should be at least 6 years out. Batteries can lose 3% power or more every year in storage.

•Heavy duty, extra strength or generic / store brand batteries are not recommended for use with AcuRite products because they may cause performance irregularities due to the way these types of batteries disperse power. Each battery should not exceed 1.6 volts.

-Plug in the detector again (Make sure the lightning detector is fully installed, you will hear two 'Clicks')
-Reset your display (Enter display menu by pressing the gear button all the way on the left then arrow down to Factory Reset in the Menu settings. Change the next option to "YES" then the display will tell you to press the "Check mark" twice.)

I removed the Energizer Ultimate Lithium  (which was reported as working successfully by someone) - these tested at 1.7volts
Replaced with Duracel Quantum alkaline (are they considered "heavy duty"?) - these tested at 1.6volts, and seemed to generate as many, or more false strikes than the lithium (have not yet reviewed the logs).
Removed Quantum and replaced with regular Duracell coppertop, tested at 1.59 volts.    Still generating false strikes.

I reported the same results to AcuRite but they have not offered any part replacements. I was told to wait. I had over 200 strikes yesterday. Can you please share what they say? Thanks!
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2018, 12:43:45 PM »
Replaced with Duracel Quantum alkaline (are they considered "heavy duty"?)

Technically, no.  "Heavy duty" batteries are Zinc Chloride. 

However, the support folks aren't always aware of this distinction.  It's best just to say Duracel alkalines.

I don't think the batteries are an issue.  As I've said before, it's just the first step in their debugging script.

During the beta they had me run through different battery sets (obtained locally) which I sent back for analysis.

During the field trial Acurite supplied specific batteries to be tested and sent back for analysis.

I don't know the results of their analysis.  I just tested as they requested.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2018, 09:01:03 PM »
Batteries:

I reported the same results to AcuRite but they have not offered any part replacements. I was told to wait. I had over 200 strikes yesterday. Can you please share what they say? Thanks!

did u get an email, or was this all via chat?
did you ask them what the next step was supposed to be?
The rain stopped here, but its still partly cloudy; only 96 false lightning strikes today..
I'll try their "fix" tomorrow, and see what happens

has anyone tried a "replacement" lightning detector yet to see if it made any difference with the false strikes?

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2018, 09:06:43 PM »
Batteries:

did u get an email, or was this all via chat?
did you ask them what the next step was supposed to be?
The rain stopped here, but its still partly cloudy; only 96 false lightning strikes today..
I'll try their "fix" tomorrow, and see what happens

has anyone tried a "replacement" lightning detector yet to see if it made any difference with the false strikes?

I just sent another follow-up email this evening...they have gone quiet on me and they have not responded back for a couple of days now. I asked if there has been any update with the false lightning strikes. I have not been offered any replacement parts or any other assistance other the change the batteries and the reset.

They are still continuing….sunny day…lots…warm and cloudy, less.  202 yesterday and 40 today...this is after their fix.

Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2018, 09:31:02 PM »
post a question on Amazon; they seem to respond quickly to those..

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2018, 09:41:06 PM »
Well, AcuRite has shipped a replacement lightning detector to me.  I'm not sure if the detector or electrical noise from the aspirating fan is the cause of the problem, but this should help to isolate the problem.  I'll post the results once I've received the replacement detector and have it installed during some sunny weather.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2018, 12:04:19 PM »
I tried their battery pull/reset "fix", and it did nothing;  121 lightning strikes so far by 9am in AZ..
when you get your replacement lighting detector, please post here if it fixes the problem

Also, does anyone have a link on where you can determine what your light sensor reading actually means? I'm getting 53,360 lux on my light reading, and not sure what that actually is indicating..UN sensor is reading 3, so not sure what putting those 2 numbers into play actually tells me

thanks
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:07:04 PM by wase4711 »

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2018, 12:26:56 PM »
I mounted my Atlas yesterday afternoon. It has brand new energizer alkaline batteries in it. Zero lightning strikes yet but it's been cloudy, so no sun.

I did find this on light intensity...

How Bright is it? Shining a light on intensity measurement

As it pertains to weather...

While many light meters are configured for incandescent light they are still useful for providing comparisons outdoors. A meter could for example produce records showing the difference in intensity between the summer and winter solstice. Mapping light intensities in an area designated for solar arrays could help determine the optimal location for each panel. Those involved in agriculture may benefit from identifying areas of lower light intensity within a greenhouse.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Online DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2018, 12:46:39 PM »
The aspiration fan does run even in cloudy weather. Sunshine may make it run harder, I'm not sure. In very cold dry weather, the fan can be heard running very clearly on my Atlas. If it's warm or humid, it is very quite.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2018, 04:06:28 PM »
sunny again in Arizona, and 231 lightning strikes so far today..

Offline WonderWX

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2018, 08:01:54 AM »

I am pleased to report that replacing the lightning detector has fixed the false strike problem for me.  Today with some actual storms around, Atlas has identified 3 strikes in the area.  These 3 strikes were indicated as interference/noise on the 02020 portable

An additional strike shown as 1 mile away on the 02020 portable but was shown as interference on the Atlas.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2018, 10:14:14 AM »

I am pleased to report that replacing the lightning detector has fixed the false strike problem for me.  Today with some actual storms around, Atlas has identified 3 strikes in the area.  These 3 strikes were indicated as interference/noise on the 02020 portable

An additional strike shown as 1 mile away on the 02020 portable but was shown as interference on the Atlas.

Thanks for the update. I finally received a reply and will have a replacement detector Tuesday.

Did you just replace it or did you need to do a reset and remove the batteries, etc?
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline WonderWX

« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2018, 10:29:13 AM »
Did you just replace it or did you need to do a reset and remove the batteries, etc?
I removed the batteries, removed the old detector, popped in the new detector, and re-added batteries.
Did "Factory Reset" on the HD display, which cleared everything including the thousands of false strikes.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2018, 02:06:33 PM »
I put up another production Atlas and lightning detector yesterday.

I'm using Energizer lithiums.

So far the lightning detector is working fine.  18 strikes so far today, which is consistent with the small thunderstorms that have been rolling through.

Offline IsaacFox

« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2018, 02:47:19 PM »
Ive been having issues with random strikes. bought a battery box and some Duracell batteries and I haven't had any false strikes since then. 

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2018, 12:12:49 PM »
My replacement lightning sensor came Saturday.

Unfortunately, even after a total reset, no change. I had 151 false strikes on a sunny, warm afternoon.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2018, 12:46:04 PM »
I'll be curious to see the response from AcuRite.  Let us know what they recommend as the next step.

anything