Author Topic: Using Campbell Scientific Dataloggers, and interfacing them to various software  (Read 588 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Are there users here who have embraced the Campbell Scientific dataloggers, and have figured out what software will work with them?

I am a big fan of Weather Display, and wonder if anyone has interfaced the CS units, such as the CR1000 or smaller functionality units?

Any problem with speed?  Sufficient memory?  What are you ingesting such as wind, temp, humidity, solar and so on?

What is needed in the program creating the data for WD, for instance?  Is there a serial string, or build a table and share that with WD?

Any thoughts or comments are very helpful since so far I have no experience and don't want to take the step into getting hardware to play with if it is very difficult or impossible to pull off. 

It might be trying to use these as data gatherers isn't what works well in the world of up to date technology.

Thx. Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
The trusty old WUHU logger program has a built-in configuration profile for the Campbell Scientific CR1000, along with many other wx stations [including the Davis'].
There's a WUHU subforum right here on WXForum. WUHU apparently isn't maintained or developed anymore by its' developer/owner, though downloads can be found [I have some copies on a disk somewhere].

WUHU also flawlessly simultaneously uploads to many different wx ingest web sites [CWOP, PWS, WU, MET, etc]. Unlike all those Ambient/AcuRite/etc stations that are locked to just the captive 'home' site and maybe WU [without resorting to elaborate hard/software add-ons].

Don't know how it actually works with a Campbell Scientific CR1000, but WUHU has been bulletproof with my old La Crosse wx station for years.

Offline Clarkey

• My Weather Page
Hi Dale,

I use a CR1000 with Weather Display as the heart of my weather station. No issues with speed at all (I use a PakBus connection over Ethernet to read the 'Public' table every second) & it has way more memory than you will ever use. You will find more info on the sensors I use, including a ModBus connection for temp and humidity on my webpage ... links in the following thread.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37609.msg387017#msg387017

My setup is probably overkill, but keeps me technically interested also ... let me know if you want further info

Clarkey
Campbell Scientific CR1000 & Loggernet, Young 05103 Wind Dir/Speed, Met One 092 Baro Vaisala HMP110 Temp/Humidity, OMC 212 Heated Bucket Rain Gauge, LiCor LI-200R Pyranometer