Author Topic: up grade to p40 lost all settings  (Read 5479 times)

Offline MoradaWx

• Marada, Stockton, CA
  • Senior Contributor
  • I see sunshine. Let me out!
up grade to p40 lost all settings
« on: September 12, 2008, 06:31:59 PM »
I installed p40 last week and it took everything out and it was like I had to do a fresh install. It required entering registration # like it was the first install. I had to set everything up from scratch, which included info for WU. I have ever thing corrected i believe, but the Rapid Fire page is erring out. Any one got any ideas what I am missing?

Rick/Morada, CA
Davis VP2+ wireless w/24Hr fan, Enovoy & Console
VWS 14.01p31,WeatherLink5.9.2,VP live,Virtual VP, StartWatch

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: up grade to p40 lost all settings
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 07:33:16 PM »
That's the first time I've heard of p40 doing that.  Did it perhaps install into a new directory on your hard drive?

Are your getting any data at all to Weather Underground?

Actually it looks like it is working at the time I posted:

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCASTOCK6
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 07:35:15 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 08:04:57 PM »
It's looking more and more like I am going to have to update to V14P(latest)
Like I stated earlier I haven't had a need until recently to considering updating  so hows the best way to retain
V13 I have now that is working albeit a little flaky at times??  Save the entire VWS directory?
I don't have a copy of the version I am running currently on hand that I know of.

Just polling the expert opinion of the membership here!! Just in case I have a problem that would require backward compatibility :-)

Thanks!!

Wayne

www.smythweather.net
cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 08:40:38 PM »
I don't have a copy of the version I am running currently on hand that I know of...

Your living life on the edge there guy.   ;)

Yes, I keep a daily copy of the entire VWS directory on a second hard drive and most recently on a Flash USB drive as well.  That covers the majority of the VWS files.  Others can be reinstalled using the installer program.  Normally this keeps your settings too.  But sometimes things do burp like in the original post.  I had for whatever reason file corruption in my settings at one point and had to start over from scratch again too once.  But if you have your templates and data backed up it makes the whole process a little less painful of restoring things back to operation.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 08:58:47 PM »
I don't have a copy of the version I am running currently on hand that I know of...

Your living life on the edge there guy.   ;)

Yes, I keep a daily copy of the entire VWS directory on a second hard drive and most recently on a Flash USB drive as well.  That covers the majority of the VWS files.  Others can be reinstalled using the installer program.  Normally this keeps your settings too.  But sometimes things do burp like in the original post.  I had for whatever reason file corruption in my settings at one point and had to start over from scratch again too once.  But if you have your templates and data backed up it makes the whole process a little less painful of restoring things back to operation.

Yeah, I know :-) Seems like it turns out that way often :-)
I have my template files backed up and mirrored actually on another server which is a good thing..I hope #-o
I actually probably do have the original version I downloaded somewhere if I could just remember where...part timers kicking in I guess :oops:
However I did have to change servers midstream with a fresh install of everything including the OS ...so I need to update my rain totals ! Thanks for jogging my memory...what there is of it :?

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 08:37:57 AM »
To the original poster. Sound to me like v41 did not install to the current vws directory. Suggest reinstalling paying close attention to where the program is being installed. It is also wise to back up the entire vws directory before doing an upgrade. That way if someting pukes all you have to do is copy everything back.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline MoradaWx

• Marada, Stockton, CA
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 10:06:13 AM »
Anthony, it looks like you are right. My original folder was E:\vws and the update was installed on C:\vws. It looks like I have a mess to clean up. What would be the safest way to reinstall to the correct folder and move the data from the wrong folder to the correct one?

Rick/Morada, CA

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
  • Texas Township, Illinois
    • Texas Township, Clinton, Illinois 61727  Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 10:29:43 AM »

No1,

Don't feel bad, I am a pro at this. :oops:   I am running 2 computers and 6 hard hard drives. I dump programs in the wrong drive at times also. ](*,)

Go to your control panel > program remove  and remove VWS update from your C: drive.  Then just install it in your E: drive where any previous VWS programs reside.  But you must remove the update from the C: drive first.
Like Anthony said, do pay attention.

This will get it to work,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-)
[note: Bill passed away December 31, 2008 -- Rest in Peace Bill, you'll be missed!]

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 08:37:18 AM »
Bill
Thanks for helping him out. I was busy all day yesterday and did not make it back to the forums. I personally have VWS on a drive all by it's self.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline MoradaWx

• Marada, Stockton, CA
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 08:18:05 PM »
OK, I have already forgot WHY :-( I thought I needed to move to p40. I got it installed in the right directory but VWS is not showing out door temp or humidity nor is it showing on WU. both are reporting 0 degrees and 0%. It is up to date in WL????? Rapid fire still down, and it is checked.

Rick/Morada, CA

Offline MoradaWx

• Marada, Stockton, CA
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 08:55:28 PM »
Got it sorta fixed. In one of the advanced settings I found a box that was checked that I don't remember, (use channel one for outdoor temp). I unchecked it and all seems to be back to normal in VWS. Still not reporting 100% to UW but that will be another post.

Rick/Morada, CA

anything