Author Topic: WS-2813-IT  (Read 2567 times)

Offline John Sankowski

WS-2813-IT
« on: January 24, 2013, 04:10:47 AM »
All wind functions have stopped. I replaced the batteries in the thermo-hydro sensor ( 2 C batteries) and the base station and the problem persists. Have I missed something?
The day it quit we had wind gusts up to 50 miles an hour, however I would assume that should not be a factor.
I have outdoor temp and dew point. Don't know about rain since there has been none.

John

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: WS-2813-IT
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 05:20:29 AM »
Hi John. I've been running a ws-2810 since the end of 2009 that can experience the same thing that you describe. This is what I've learned with how to avoid it. This is assuming there hasn't been any water damage to the wind sensor and since you mention no rain since this happened I'm guessing it's dry.

1. Batteries. (I know you said you changed them). Alkaline or Lithium are preferred. Regular dry cell and rechargeable are definite no-no's. It's good to check, even brand new batteries, for at least 1.5 volts per cell when installing them. The communication link between the Thermo/Hygro sensor and the wind sensor can start dropping the wind data when the Thermo/Hygro batteries get down in the 1.49 volt and lower range.

2. Power on sequence. Since your wind sensor was previously working then you should only need to reset the Thermo/Hygro sensor and console/display. The important part is the order and time between. After re-installing batteries in the Thermo/Hygro sensor you should wait about 2 minutes or more to insure it re-establishes contact with the wind sensor first.  After the 2 minutes period, then re-install the console/display batteries (or reset) last.

3. Orientation/position of the Thermo/Hygro sensor in relation to the wind sensor. I've found that the antenna's radiated pattern of the Thermo/Hygro sensor is not perfectly circular around it in a horizontal plane. It appears to have lobes where portions of the signal is stronger in areas as you go around it horizontally (see attached). Confused ? Anyway I found by rotating the Thermo/Hygro just a couple of degrees horizontally can make the difference between a solid lock with zero data loss or sporadic drop outs that can last for hours.

Hope I didn't confuse you and helped out instead.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 07:07:24 AM by DanS »

Offline John Sankowski

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 08:16:35 PM »
Replaced the batteries in the base station as you suggested and the anemometer still doesn't function. We had 50 MPH gusts but that should not be a problem. Any suggestions?

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 07:55:33 AM »
John:  You may need to do a complete re-synch according to the owners manual.  Removing all batteries, re-install, press reset button on the wind sensor.  The manual lays out the specific steps in order.  The only other thing I can think of is your distance.  It the re-synch still does not fix the problem, try moving the sensors closer.

Offline John Sankowski

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 05:50:13 PM »
Resetting my unit requires that I press the pressure and wind keys for about 5 seconds, however, the only keys I have on my unit are set, up arrow, down arrow, alarm and min/max. I'm wondering if I have the wrong operation manual.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 05:52:16 PM by John Sankowski »

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
resetting and re-syncing 2 different things.  I was referring to re-syncing.  This is were you take ALL batteries out of ALL sensors/display.  Basically going back to the day you installed the unit.  I mentioned the distance, because Lacrosse seems to over state what their stations will do, plus when you factor in walls and such.

The fact that your problem seems to be wind sensor specific, if all the above fail, you may have a real issue with the sensor itself.  I know in the past some of the 2810 units experienced serious moisture leakage.  If that's the case and it's still under warranty, try calling Lacrosse,

'Good Luck!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 07:03:59 PM by VaJim »