Author Topic: My Vantage View Install  (Read 3251 times)

Offline TurnTex

My Vantage View Install
« on: February 27, 2012, 02:06:37 AM »
Got my new Davis Vantage View Friday and got it installed on Saturday!

I asked here in the Davis forum about siting my station, giving a number of options.  I ended up going with the overwhelming consensus on location and got it installed this weekend.

I concreted a piece of 1 1/2" heavy wall square tubing 18" into the ground.  I then took a piece of chain link top rail and slid it inside the square tubing.  The ISS was installed on that piece so I can easily remove it for maintenance as needed.  I drilled holes in the square tubing so I could screw 2 metal roofing screws through it and into the inside pipe to hold it all sturdy and make it easy to remove.  This thing is rock solid, dead level, and sits exactly 65" above the ground to the top of the rain collector.

I just need to now drill a hole in the bottom of the square tubing to let out any rain and moisture that gets in and then paint it.  It is working now, however, and thanks to SLOweather's DSI-01, it is now online without needing Davis' expensive cable!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:22:31 AM by TurnTex »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: My Vantage View Install
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 02:11:25 AM »
Well done. i think you made the best choice with your location options.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:02:21 AM »
I sure miss those Post Oak trees. Wanna trade some for a bunch of mesquite.

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:31:28 AM »
While we're trading, I'd like to help get that windmill out of your way. It must be a PITA to mow and trim around. I can put it at the back of my lot and you won't have to worry about that any more. ;)

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline TurnTex

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 01:25:15 PM »
I sure miss those Post Oak trees. Wanna trade some for a bunch of mesquite.

Those are actually all live oaks.  Unfortunately, due to the drought, I have lost hundreds of them on my property.