Author Topic: Gold Stars are Back!!!  (Read 4203 times)

Offline daman

• Forecaster
Re: Gold Stars are Back!!!
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 09:52:03 AM »
Still have mine never lost them
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 10:05:46 PM »
I just gained back my Gold Star a few hours short of 5 days since having lost it from a 3 minute router reboot. My hardware never reported bad data. According to CWOP and AWEKAS I'm tracking perfectly with neighbors on all sensors. My alternative WU ID with same data (different software) a never lost it.

I know we shouldn't be laying any credibility in the Gold Stars but I just can't help but trying to figure out what logic or reasoning they have programmed.

It has been rather interesting to see Gold Stars awarded for a newly reporting station (no 5 day history). And now a station that lost the Gold Stars has earned it back within less than 5 days.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 07:02:10 AM »
I know we shouldn't be laying any credibility in the Gold Stars but I just can't help but trying to figure out what logic or reasoning they have programmed.

Lack of "Common Sense" maybe?
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline Mtnviper

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2018, 07:33:53 PM »
My gold medal came back for less than 1 day about 2 weeks ago.  Hasn't been back since.  Today my Graphs and Tables disappeared.

Offline theslydog

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2019, 03:53:32 PM »
Is anyone else noticing an influx of cheap ebay* uncalibrated weather stations beginning to out number the actual 1/2 way decent calibrated ones?

I think it is starting to throw a bias onto WU - those Gold Stars dont count for sh!t anymore. I see stations with say the Rel. Pressure 15+ hPa out with a Gold Star because they are in a cluster of other stations that are all out as well.

I see trusted Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus and similar stations near me (which I have watched for some time) that I know are accurate and always correlate to the local meteorological station lose their Gold Star status because they are being swamped by cheap uncalibrated stations bought off ebay and put straight on line with a thought about calibration.

Feel better with that off my chest ;o)

*(a term I use for something produced to flog to the masses without thought for QA)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:55:08 PM by theslydog »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2019, 04:33:52 PM »
those Gold Stars dont count for sh!t anymore.
Got news for ya....they never did, ever.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2019, 04:38:44 PM »

It has been rather interesting to see Gold Stars awarded for a newly reporting station (no 5 day history). And now a station that lost the Gold Stars has earned it back within less than 5 days.
I'd really be curious to know a little bit about their algorithm too. I don't think they're really looking at 5 days and I suspect that they're only looking at temperature. I'm sure they're not looking at barometer because there is a "gold star" station near me reporting a pressure of 27.73 (station pressure?) instead of an adjusted pressure.

I used to have a star but not today. Looking at my temperature graph I can see why, it's going up and done with the sun coming out. Not sure if it's because the solar panel is mostly covered by snow or if the fan simply isn't working...

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2019, 05:47:16 PM »
looking at temp? so if a WX has temp thats ok?

GOLD STARS MEAN NOTHING  just look at this:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2019, 06:40:25 PM »
looking at temp? so if a WX has temp thats ok?
Let me explain, and I think your example tends to confirm my guess (and I am only guessing).

I don't think WU is looking at anyone elses data, just the station in question. (if I'm right, people stressing about cheap eBay stations skewing things can relax)

I think they are analyzing each stations historical data looking for unusual variations outside of some norm. When that happens, no more gold star. Your example station is way off from everyone nearby but if you look at the graph of their data (forgetting the 50 deg discrepancy) it's nice and smooth, and when adjusted matches other stations.

They may be looking at things other than temp but I don't think they're comparing my data with other nearby stations.

Again, I'm only guessing. YMMV ;)

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2019, 07:14:15 PM »
how do they forecast? by using WX station data? if thats the case sure they would been to compare data of neighboring sites. I personally think there is no validity of data, the only check is there IS data.
Regards Simon

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2019, 03:58:13 PM »
I personally think there is no validity of data, the only check is there IS data.
It has to be more than that. When I first noticed this thread I checked and was pleased to see my station had the coveted ;) gold star, then a few days later it was gone, a couple of days ago it was back, now today it's gone again. I've been sending data consistently the whole time so they must be checking it somehow but what and how they check is a mystery.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2019, 10:15:20 PM »
Posted today by one of the developers in Facebook's Weather Underground User's Group:

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2019, 05:41:15 AM »
Again, as I said before Gold Stars mean nothing.

Regards Simon

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2019, 07:07:23 PM »
Again, as I said before Gold Stars mean nothing.

Their algorithm definitely has some problems but I give them credit for trying. I doubt it will ever be perfect but hopefully it will improve to the point of being useful.

Posted today by one of the developers in Facebook's Weather Underground User's Group:

So we know they're only looking at temperature. I'd love to know more. My station had a gold star for several days but this morning it was gone. I can only guess why...

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2019, 08:50:42 PM »
I don't have a star, and my station has good temperatures... and smooth graphs. Really there are only about 2 stations near me out of many that have elevated readings in the daytime. Most seem to be trying to get good information out with low end equipment.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2019, 08:59:10 PM »
So we know they're only looking at temperature. I'd love to know more. My station had a gold star for several days but this morning it was gone. I can only guess why...

That's not by design, though.  That's just how it is/isn't currently working.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2019, 04:25:48 PM »
I don't have a star, and my station has good temperatures... and smooth graphs. Really there are only about 2 stations near me out of many that have elevated readings in the daytime. Most seem to be trying to get good information out with low end equipment.

I'm a little surprised you don't have a star, although today I see some zigzags on the chart. That's the same problem I have on sunny days. I think smooth consistent data is what WU is looking at. Graphs with outliers lose or don't get a star. What's odd is that first thing this morning when I checked I had a star then, maybe an hour later, it was gone.  :???:

What do you think of as "low end equipment"? My 5in1 came from Costco, on sale for $59.95. That's pretty cheap inexpensive. The box may say "Professional" but it's clearly consumer grade, however I've been really pleased with it's performance overall.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2019, 05:29:18 PM »
I consider La Crosse, and all in one units like Ambient and Acurite 5n1, bloomSky...Oregon sci... to be lower end. That doesn't mean it's junk or a toy, just not up to names like Davis and Rainwise...

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2019, 06:09:02 PM »
It still boggles my mind why any of you continue to put stock in this worthless gimmick. :roll:

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2019, 07:43:48 PM »
DATA is DATA, so GIGO applies equally to mathematical data, computer data and weather data!
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside