Author Topic: Ambient Stock  (Read 6447 times)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Ambient Stock
« on: August 30, 2014, 07:45:45 PM »
Is it normal for Ambient to be out of stock of the WS-2080 for weeks and weeks at a time? Why don't they keep their stock up? I want to buy the station because they allow you to locate the sensors where you want them according to standards. You cannot find ANY of the other substitutes for sale in the U.S.A
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:47:17 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Re: Ambient Stock
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 07:56:48 PM »
Well because they want you to buy a Ws 1200 or Ws 1000.       And it is a relatively old not very well thought of system and thy have to negotiate and buy from China which ain't easy.

I really would not want one if they gave it to me.  I'd just give it away.

Now just go out and paint your 5in 1 again.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 08:06:54 PM »
Well because they want you to buy a Ws 1200 or Ws 1000.       And it is a relatively old not very well thought of system and thy have to negotiate and buy from China which ain't easy.

I really would not want one if they gave it to me.  I'd just give it away.

Now just go out and paint your 5in 1 again.

I understand you do not like the product. I like the 5 in 1 and it is working really well right now, but I cannot share with who I want, so I don't like it for that. I also would rather not have an "all in one" station. Acurite fooled me when i bought their bridge, I should have bought a console with PC plug. I don't want to give them more $$ but I may have to if I can't find what I want. I don't want LaCross, and I don't want Oregon Scientific. I see too many bad readings off of those. Davis is expensive to put on a PC.

Why do you want me to paint again? I might smash my bridge though. :lol:

Offline KC9Q

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 07:11:25 PM »
Well the WS-2080 is in stock, and I ordered one with the larger solar shield.  Will see how it works when it gets here.

Mike

Climate is what we expect.  Weather is what we get.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 09:17:31 PM »
Yeah, it is in stock.  And it is still a POS.  It is a Fine Offset device that frankly is not worth the $100 bucks.  Go to Costco and find the same thing rebadged for less.  As difficul as this is to say, teh Acurite 5-1 is a far better unit.  Even if it one piece.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 09:49:52 PM »

Let us know. They get good ratings on Amazon. If it's good, I'll move to Ambient as soon as this acurite dies. Maybe I won't have to paint it for it to be fairly reasonable.

Offline KC9Q

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 12:42:20 AM »
Doc,

I have been very pleased with the new WS-2080A compared to the old WS-2090 unit it has replaced.  Accuracy is on par with the Davis Pro 2 units in the area and also with the local regional airport about 3 miles north of my location.  The WWVB radio locks and runs almost continuously, as compared with the older unit that locked maybe once or twice a day.  I tried running the unit without the optional Solar Radiation Shield, and saw temps spike about 4 to 5 degrees at sunrise and sunset times.  With the larger optional Solar Radiation Shield (model SRS1000LX) the spikes are gone.  I noticed and took advantage of the fact that the SRS1000LX is $10.00 less than standard price when ordered with the WS-2080A.  Maybe the only con is the 8-point compass verses the 16-point of the Davis and Acu-rite models, plus the 48 second report period.  But it is a small price to pay in my case to get the reporting I need, and the ability to interface with WX Underground and PWS (and other sites) with the Cumulus software package.  Cumulus also allows me to figure 24 hour temperature and rainfall at odd-ball times needed for a WX net I check into in the morning.  I was considering the WS-1001 with its color display; 360 degree compass, and solar monitoring.  But not sure if the WS-1001 had the 24 hour reporting available, and see it is limited to just the WX Underground at this time.  Another consideration for me was the batteries.  Being in the Chicago area the winters get cold here (-17 F last winter) and I needed a station that accepts Li-Ion batteries.  That's just my personal assessment.  Bottom line:  I'm very happy with the WS-2080A.  (The Davis Pro 2 was too unsightly for the other half to have in her garden.)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 03:54:54 PM »
Doc,

I have been very pleased with the new WS-2080A compared to the old WS-2090 unit it has replaced.  Accuracy is on par with the Davis Pro 2 units in the area and also with the local regional airport about 3 miles north of my location.  The WWVB radio locks and runs almost continuously, as compared with the older unit that locked maybe once or twice a day.  I tried running the unit without the optional Solar Radiation Shield, and saw temps spike about 4 to 5 degrees at sunrise and sunset times.  With the larger optional Solar Radiation Shield (model SRS1000LX) the spikes are gone.  I noticed and took advantage of the fact that the SRS1000LX is $10.00 less than standard price when ordered with the WS-2080A.  Maybe the only con is the 8-point compass verses the 16-point of the Davis and Acu-rite models, plus the 48 second report period.  But it is a small price to pay in my case to get the reporting I need, and the ability to interface with WX Underground and PWS (and other sites) with the Cumulus software package.  Cumulus also allows me to figure 24 hour temperature and rainfall at odd-ball times needed for a WX net I check into in the morning.  I was considering the WS-1001 with its color display; 360 degree compass, and solar monitoring.  But not sure if the WS-1001 had the 24 hour reporting available, and see it is limited to just the WX Underground at this time.  Another consideration for me was the batteries.  Being in the Chicago area the winters get cold here (-17 F last winter) and I needed a station that accepts Li-Ion batteries.  That's just my personal assessment.  Bottom line:  I'm very happy with the WS-2080A.  (The Davis Pro 2 was too unsightly for the other half to have in her garden.)

Sounds good. The wind points being 8 isn't that big a deal to me. The 48 second reporting seems a little slow. I thought I had seen these models doing 10 second updates?

Offline KC9Q

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 04:03:37 PM »
Doc,

Although the manual states 16 point compass (22.5 degrees) it does 8.  The WS1001 series stations (1000/10001/1200/1400) reports every 18 seconds or so, and maybe that is what you are thinking of.  My station is KILALGON5 on WX Underground if you would like to see it.  Station is still listed as WS-2090 since WX Underground does not have WS-2080 available on the list anymore.  (For some reason WU lists the WS-2090 twice on the list.)  I look at it this way:  48 second updates equals less loading in the PC.

Mike

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 04:12:38 PM »
I've got a meteobridge that I would plug mine into if I get one. I have an acurite  5 in 1 that's doing a fair job right now, but it's around 2 years old, and I expect it may die in the next year or so. At least I know if I buy the ambient, I won't have to do any hacking to make it accurate. I'll take a look at the station.   :-)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 04:25:26 PM »
Wow, it's almost as cold down in Eastern NC as it is up there in Illinois! I figured it would be in the 30s or less up there. Just to the south of me they have seen ice pellets and even snow at Myrtle Beach today.

Offline KC9Q

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 01:09:39 PM »
Doc,

I stand corrected:  The WS-2080A does 16-point compass points.

Also, how did you add the wx report icon in the footer of your message?  I'd like to do that myself.

TNX,
Mike

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 03:35:20 PM »
Thanks KC9Q. How does the anemometer respond to wind overall? I have taken a few looks at your station and from what I've seen, it reports well. How high is your installation?

To get the wx icon, If you go into your stations dashboard, Click "MY PWS" in the top right corner, and then click "Get Weather Sticker"

Offline KC9Q

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 04:42:59 PM »
Hi Doc,

I have the icon from WU, but I need to know how to input it into the footer of the forum comments; like you have.

As for my station, it's 15 ft tall.  I'd put it at the 33 ft height if I could, however the neighborhood would think I'm Doc from Back to the Future.  The better half wouldn't be happy.  And the roof is too steep for an install:  So 15 ft it is, & the temp unit is at 7 ft.  I have a picture of it on WU.  Low temp this morning was 8.  Predictions are lower for tonight.  We're breaking all kinds of records in the Chicago are this week.

Tnx,
Mike

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 04:52:14 PM »
Oh OK.

I used to moderate a forum similar to this one's style, so it was easy for me to figure out, but it can be complicated if you aren't used to these discussion boards.

First copy the icon code from WU. Then you hover over "profile", select "FORUM PROFILE" from there go to the signature box and put in [ img ] and [ /img] (no spaces) with brackets on both. In between these, you paste your code.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:54:16 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline KC9Q

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 05:05:15 PM »
Thanks Doc.  We'll see if it works.

Mike

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 05:58:40 PM »
Oh OK.

I used to moderate a forum similar to this one's style, so it was easy for me to figure out, but it can be complicated if you aren't used to these discussion boards.

First copy the icon code from WU. Then you hover over "profile", select "FORUM PROFILE" from there go to the signature box and put in [ img ] and [ /img] (no spaces) with brackets on both. In between these, you paste your code.

Hi Doc, I followed your directions and as you can probably see, I'm getting the "missing image" symbol where my weather sticker should be.  Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 06:53:32 PM »
Hi Doc, I followed your directions and as you can probably see, I'm getting the "missing image" symbol where my weather sticker should be.  Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

If you enter this in your profile sig.
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMAFITCH5][img]http://banners.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/banner/ban/wxBanner?bannertype=wxstnsticker_both&weatherstationcount=KMAFITCH5[/img][/url]you see this (change the WU station ID if this isn't yours)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:15:33 PM by DanS »

Offline KM4FFB

• KNCGOLDS16
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 07:38:52 AM »
Thought this was a good place to let people know that Ambient now has the WS-1001-WIFI in stock as of 0730 EST, 15 DEC.

Hope they don't all sell out!

Offline jaxfan

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 01:44:42 PM »
I was coming to post the same.  I actually received my email Sunday morning. =D>

Long time lurker, first time poster.  I had an el cheapo La Crosse weather station and it went tits up over the summer.  I wanted to step up my game and ran across Ambient Weather, specifically the WS 1000 (at the time).  Waiting ever since.

FWIW, Since I have been waiting 5+ months for a $280 item to get back in stock, plus it is now Christmas time, it would have been nice if free shipping was offered. :idea:  Oh well, can't wait til the unit arrives.

Offline KM4FFB

• KNCGOLDS16
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 01:47:58 PM »
I understand that. I couldn't wait and picked up a used Davis VP2 instead. Decided that I wanted more expandability for a first unit. I may get a ambient unit to go portable with though.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 03:56:14 PM »
just a heads up, i spoke to Ambient this morning since the ws-1001 is out of stock again.  They said it won't be available until early February at this point.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 10:46:27 PM »
speaking of being out of stock, anyone find the snow depth gizmo they had, but said that if it ever did come back, it would be well after most snow has melted in the northern hemisphere?

Looked like a cool gadget.  Is this a sign of not being able to afford to keep product in stock, and running behind all the time?  I hope not, we need a good variety of suppliers and ones willing to offer stuff beyond what davis/peet/rainwise are willing to develop.

Just sayin'.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 09:26:13 AM »
speaking of being out of stock, anyone find the snow depth gizmo they had, but said that if it ever did come back, it would be well after most snow has melted in the northern hemisphere?

Looked like a cool gadget.  Is this a sign of not being able to afford to keep product in stock, and running behind all the time?  I hope not, we need a good variety of suppliers and ones willing to offer stuff beyond what davis/peet/rainwise are willing to develop.

Just sayin'.

Dale

Sounds to me like they should raise their prices.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 10:57:20 AM »
FWIW, I went ahead and purchased the ws-1400-ip.  The only difference with this unit compared to the others is that it does not have a console.  I emailed Ambient and they said I could purchase the console later for $125.  Being I bought the 1400 at $150, the addition of the console would take my total to $275; only $5 above what it would have cost me for the ws-1200-ip which ships with the console.

Really looking forward to getting this unit up and running.