Author Topic: Solar sensor feeding 2 different ISS units same time  (Read 461 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Solar sensor feeding 2 different ISS units same time
« on: September 27, 2018, 07:19:47 PM »
Any thoughts on having solar cable spliced with a 2nd cable and feeding 2 different ISS units at same time?

I'm going to try this unless I hear something different.  :?: Max cable length is 200' per Davis manual so #1-ISS unit is 150' the other #2 only 3'.
Randy

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: Solar sensor feeding 2 different ISS units same time
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 10:47:48 PM »
Try it. The only thing is, the ISS powers up the sensor for a fraction of a second to get a reading, and then powers down. So you will have to  parallel all of the wires so each ISS can power it up. The unknown is if for some reason between polls, the ISS does something with the power or data line that would interfere with the other station. 

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 10:54:58 PM »
Try it. The only thing is, the ISS powers up the sensor for a fraction of a second to get a reading, and then powers down. So you will have to  parallel all of the wires so each ISS can power it up. The unknown is if for some reason between polls, the ISS does something with the power or data line that would interfere with the other station.

Thanks I didn't know that. I'll keep the wires parallel and report back once I get the wire. (Ordered)

Randy

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 08:41:06 AM »
The success of this will depend on what the impedance of the data line is when the "other" ISS attempts to wake up the sensor. If it is low, it might look like a short. It is not likely that the two ISSs will be reading the solar sensor simultaneously. They might be "fighting" each other potentially.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 08:57:49 AM »
Maybe I'll just skip the dual feed idea.
I relocated the solar for more sun and less tree shade. Maybe best thing is go ahead and make splice and add second pigtail with rj jack but only plug into 1 ISS at a time so they won't fight each other.
Thanks for all the info.

Randy

Offline graculus

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 09:50:59 AM »

I think it would probably(!) be OK if you put diodes in the power lines so the reading ISS doesn't send power back to the non-reading ISS. If they both happen to read at the same instant it would be OK too. The max possible solar reading would be reduced by the diode voltage drop but at this time of year in the U.S. that's unlikely to be an issue.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 10:50:33 AM »

I think it would probably(!) be OK if you put diodes in the power lines so the reading ISS doesn't send power back to the non-reading ISS. If they both happen to read at the same instant it would be OK too. The max possible solar reading would be reduced by the diode voltage drop but at this time of year in the U.S. that's unlikely to be an issue.

Thanks for that info.
Randy

anything