Author Topic: How to calibrate/set digital barometer ??  (Read 11927 times)

Offline doublecheese

How to calibrate/set digital barometer ??
« on: January 04, 2010, 08:06:47 AM »
Hi Guys

I have a :

a) OS WMR 200 console
b) OS BTHR968 Sensor - baro-temp-humidity
c) Suunto Metron watch
d) Casio G-Shock Watch
e) a Mitsubishi Pajero SUV - Has a built in Barometer)

Items "c"-"d"-"e" can be set according to desired milibars. So I drove to an offical weather station and I calibrated my watches and my car's readings according to current barometer reading and height of the weather station.

Then I went home and saw that my OS WMR200 and OS BTHR968 sensor has different readings. They also do not have (I think) a button to set the desired milibars manually. So my question is how to make all my Barometer readings show the same values. ......????

If I reset the BTHR968 it automatically starts with 1021mb, I'm guessing the WMR200 does the same thing.  So could this mean that when my items c,d,e show "1021mb" at sea level, should I immediately rush to sea side and reset my WMR200 and BTHR968 ?

Is this a Barometer Calibration method or not ? Or do you have another ideas ?

Thanks ......
DC
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:28:38 AM by doublecheese »

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: How to calibrate/set digital barometer ??
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 08:48:21 AM »
The BTHR968 sensor can not be adjusted, if you had the wmr968 console, you can enter an offset, to what a local metar reading is, and it will then track pretty good.  But the sensor will always show raw baro.

The wmr200, I am pretty sure you can only altitude adjust.  So if entereing your altitude does not bring you close to your official reporting station.  You are stuck, or you could try lying about your altitude till it matches, and see if it tracks after that.

Andrew

Hi Guys

I have a :

a) OS WMR 200 console
b) OS BTHR968 Sensor - baro-temp-humidity

Then I went home and saw that my OS WMR200 and OS BTHR968 sensor has different readings. They also do not have (I think) a button to set the desired milibars manually. So my question is how to make all my Barometer readings show the same values. ......????

If I reset the BTHR968 it automatically starts with 1021mb, I'm guessing the WMR200 does the same thing.  So could this mean that when my items c,d,e show "1021mb" at sea level, should I immediately rush to sea side and reset my WMR200 and BTHR968 ?

Is this a Barometer Calibration method or not ? Or do you have another ideas ?

Thanks ......
DC

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline doublecheese

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 08:56:14 AM »
yeap , currently we have high pressure and sea level pressure is around 1023mb's around here.

What I'm thinking is, taking the BTHR968 Sensor and the WMR200 to the seaside and reset them. Once they are resetted both are starting from 1021mb ......  from there I think I can come to a conclusion , what do you think ?

Do you think if I did this set up like I mentioned , my barometer readings will be corrected ?

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 09:13:28 AM »
I dont think that would do anything really to "recallibrate". The only think that might accomplish is showing you if at sea level, they match with metar.  But after you drive back it will go to whatever it was saying before (or should at least)

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline doublecheese

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 09:40:27 AM »
I dont think that would do anything really to "recallibrate". The only think that might accomplish is showing you if at sea level, they match with metar.  But after you drive back it will go to whatever it was saying before (or should at least)

Andrew

Yes, but wouldn't that be enough ? If I add height of my location to the sea level , then I would basically get the same results as my metar right ?

My Suunto Watch can show the Sea Level Pressure seperately . Also with WMR200 once I enter my sea level height automatically calculates the pressure according to the sea level.

So as long as my Suunto Watch and WMR200 show the same barometer readings as the metar I'm happy.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 12:03:04 PM »
That is correct.  But you should not have to drive to the seaside in order to do this.

wmr200 with alt should provide a "sea level" pressure close to the metar reading and your watch.
bthr968 will always show raw on its lcd display, if you drove to the sea it would match once settled, but as you drove back home it would deviate from SL.  The only way to get SL out of your bthr968 is to get a wmr968 console (or similar) and do the offset by mb's.

Andrew

Yes, but wouldn't that be enough ? If I add height of my location to the sea level , then I would basically get the same results as my metar right ?

My Suunto Watch can show the Sea Level Pressure seperately . Also with WMR200 once I enter my sea level height automatically calculates the pressure according to the sea level.

So as long as my Suunto Watch and WMR200 show the same barometer readings as the metar I'm happy.

Offline doublecheese

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 03:22:12 AM »
That is correct.  But you should not have to drive to the seaside in order to do this.

wmr200 with alt should provide a "sea level" pressure close to the metar reading and your watch.
bthr968 will always show raw on its lcd display, if you drove to the sea it would match once settled, but as you drove back home it would deviate from SL.  The only way to get SL out of your bthr968 is to get a wmr968 console (or similar) and do the offset by mb's.

Andrew

I already have the METEOHUB software and this week my RFXCOM receiver is coming, soon I will be able to receive sensor info without the need of my WMR200. I also think that the Meteohub has a method of processing RAW DATA into SEA LEVEL corrected data. I think I'll be all set by the end of this week or next week.