Author Topic: WMR968 weather station - replacement components  (Read 21628 times)

Offline Skyking69

WMR968 weather station - replacement components
« on: May 17, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »
Folks,

I have a WMR968 weather station setup and I put one at my parents home too.  We have run these items and posted weather to the Internet for a decade.  :grin:  Recently we have had issues with the anemometers with both setups; my wind cups do not spin and my parents had a large bird break one of the cups completely off.   #-o  I saw another forum post about someone else having the same "not spinning" problem and I will go read that in a moment, but even if there is a solution to that I still have issues to resolve.

As I started searching for a WGRC918N "Replacement Wind Cups" for my parents and a "GR968 "Wireless Weather Station Wind Sensor with Solar Transmitter" for me I learned:

1 - Oregon Scientific no longer makes any of these devices.   :shock:
2 - Oregon Scientific is not very responsive when asked for suggestions.   :sad:
3 - Nobody on the planet appears to have these items for sale any more.   ](*,)

I am hoping someone will know of a source where I can buy these items?   \:D/  Alternatively, hopefully someone will know of a wireless anemometer that is compatible with the WMR968 weather station setup.   :?:  Any suggestions, at all, would be very welcome.   =D>

Thanks,

Phillip
Davis Vantage Vue | VWS V15.00
WU, PWSWeather - KTXHONEY1
CWOP - CW5846

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: WMR968 weather station - replacement components
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 11:05:33 AM »
I did a quick scan of ebay and didn't see any.  you may be out of luck.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you should consider replacements.  For  little more than an OS station, you can get Davis Vue.  Davis quality and customer service is much better (IMO) than OS.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Skyking69

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 02:38:32 PM »
SlowModem,

I am amenable to buying new hardware, but there is a lot of customization to the Virtual Weather Station software we use to update the Internet.  If nobody can point me to a source for replacement anemometers I will look into the Davis unit.  Thanks for the feedback. 

Phillip
CWOP - CW5846

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 05:22:02 PM »
SlowModem,

I am amenable to buying new hardware, but there is a lot of customization to the Virtual Weather Station software we use to update the Internet.  If nobody can point me to a source for replacement anemometers I will look into the Davis unit.  Thanks for the feedback. 

Phillip

It's been a while since I've used VWS, but I'm pretty sure the OS/Davis to VWS would be a bumpless transfer.  Just a few settings to change.  And there are lots of VWS experts here that can help if you need it.

Good luck in your endeavors.  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 08:12:04 PM »
I had a 968 many years ago it was my first wx station.  They are simply put a low level station that never has reported humidity correctly.

I threw mine in the garbage and bought a Davis.

VWS station will work with almost any wx station.   All you have to do is tell it which station you have and it will just keep on doing what ever it did with the last station.

If you don't want to pony up for a Davis you can buy an Accurite for less than the 968 replacement parts.

Offline Skyking69

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 04:10:31 PM »
All,

Thanks for the feedback.  =D&gt; The Accurite unit, as I see it, doesn't have a rain gauge.  :-( The rain feature is probably the most important one.   #-o And remote checking of the weather on the road (I travel for a living.) is imperative, so reporting via VWS or some other method is a "must."  :lol: I don't mind spending the money on a Davis unit for myself, but my parents are retired and living on a fixed income.  I bought them their first unit and <gulp> spending the money on two Davis packages would be quite a bit.  :shock: One option is if someone reads this and is thinking about upgrading their gear, I would entertain buying a used unit.   :grin:

Thanks again,

Phillip
CWOP - CW5846

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 04:17:27 PM »
Online retailers have unlisted discount prices.  You must email them for that price.  Another option would be to try to win an auction on ebay.  There are several davis units listed.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=davis+vue&_sacat=0&_from=R40
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Skyking69

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 02:29:25 PM »
All,

Well, this post is remaining toward the top of the section and with no additional feedback I am starting to conclude it is time for a completely new setup.   #-o  The good news is I can salvage parts from my existing setup to repair my parent's.   =D&gt;  If anybody has any additional thoughts, I would welcome them.   :grin:

As an aside, the Davis unit that is least expensive also is not modular, it is a one-piece hardware device.  If a component fails are you relegated to buying a whole replacement unit?  And several sites I have been to that have the Davis modular wireless units are out of stock on all models; are there obsolescence issues?  What is a good and long-time honorable retailer for these devices.

Thanks,

Phillip
CWOP - CW5846

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 02:55:42 PM »
Well, Davis has an excellent warranty and support policy. They will fix just about any one thing for around $70 plus shipping, and their famous $100 station refurb, has been discussed elsewhere here. AFAIK, Davis supports everything they make until they can no longer get parts.

I'm not aware of any shortages of the extra wireless stations. I just checked rainmanweather.com, my preferred vendor, and he shows stock on them.

Are you sure that you aren't looking at the old, discontinued, original Vantage Pro stations? (Not Pro 2)

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 03:12:54 PM »
I believe he's asking if you can get parts for the Vue or do you have to buy a whole Vue assembly.

There are different vendors out there that sell Davis parts.  I don't know who all they are.  But I did find an example.  I hope it helps.  :)

http://www.archertradingpost.com/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=1&sort=20a&page=5
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 03:36:41 PM »
Ah, OK, sorry... Yeah, you or your dealer can get dang near any part for a Davis station, and I've purchased some obscur e stuff over the years...

I believe he's asking if you can get parts for the Vue or do you have to buy a whole Vue assembly.

There are different vendors out there that sell Davis parts.  I don't know who all they are.  But I did find an example.  I hope it helps.  :)

http://www.archertradingpost.com/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=1&sort=20a&page=5

Offline Skyking69

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 03:39:16 PM »
All,

Yes, my question was poorly posed.  8-[  I will have to see if I can find a table that lays everything out, differentiating between the various Davis offerings.  One referral was to the "DAVIS 6250 VANTAGE VUE WIRELESS WEATHER STATION" (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=davis+vue&_sacat=0&_from=R40) which is a one piece unit.  Digging around a bit it looks like spare parts are available in case any single component stops working (i.e. wind vane, wind cups, "cartridge" for the wind cups, etc.).  :-D  My concern was since it is a one piece unit, what would you do if the anemometer (for example) stopped spinning?  It does look like there are replacement components for the device.  I will keep reviewing my options.  :-k  Thanks for the reference to rainmanweather.com.  I will check it out.   :lol:

Best Regards,

Phillip
CWOP - CW5846

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 04:08:32 PM »
Always remember to email for the lowest price.  They can't advertise the lowest price they will sell it for.  that goes for the stations and dataloggers and most components.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 10:56:37 PM »
Hey guys I find that I may be looking for another Anemometer sensor and solar panel unit for my WMR-968.  Does anyone have one for sale???
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 12:37:31 AM »
Hey guys I find that I may be looking for another Anemometer sensor and solar panel unit for my WMR-968.  Does anyone have one for sale???

Are you sure you're not just wanting to see that UPS gal again?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline va3mw

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 12:40:22 PM »
If I can't get my 2 WMR968 receivers to work, I will have at least 2 full stations of sensors to sell.

Mike

Greg_M

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 12:00:58 PM »
I'm still using a 968
Everything is working now but it might be smart for me to get some temp/humidity sensor spares
Let me know when you get ready to let them go

Offline Reno89519

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 01:10:05 PM »
Now that the dust has settled on this thread, did anyone end up with spare WMR968 parts?  I am looking for a functional wind sensor as I broke mine moving it--need the wind vane and the transmitter.

Thanks,
Matthew

matthew@projectweavers.com

Offline cottage-couple

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 12:30:55 AM »
I have an old WMR968 if anyone needs some parts let me know it's just sitting in a box.

Greg_M

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 10:43:09 AM »
I need a rain gauge

Mine broke a while back and I have been running without one for some time
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 02:25:17 PM by Greg_M »

Offline cottage-couple

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 10:58:58 AM »
ok let me look its all in a box and see what we still have... it's been 2yrs.  I was saving it to ticker with the solar panels.
I will know more this week and get back to you.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2015, 12:17:57 PM »
I have an old WMR968 if anyone needs some parts let me know it's just sitting in a box.

There will be people looking for those parts eventually.  Don't toss them, they'll sell one day.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Reno89519

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 03:01:39 PM »
I am still very interested in the wind sensor and stuff for WMR-968.  We spoke several weeks ago.

Matthew
matthew@projectweavers.com
571-428-7499

Offline buck

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 08:13:18 AM »
My 968 has a broken anemometer cups and the chances of finding a replacement appears to be pretty remote..So if any one might be interested in the unit I am willing to part with it..

Dan

dshack@rogers.com

Greg_M

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 11:33:46 AM »
I have the anemometer part but no sender.

Would surely trade for a rain gauge and sender

anything