Author Topic: Davis Vantage Vue Lost Data  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Shelley

Davis Vantage Vue Lost Data
« on: December 04, 2016, 03:34:37 PM »
Greetings,
I have a Davis Vantage Vue Console 6351.  Today in the early morning hours we had some rain (Yeah!) and the Console and software (VWS) and WU all had the correct readings.  Midday we lost power for a few minutes.  Now the data is messed up.  All the early morning rain data was lost, low temp for the day shows zero degrees (it is 73 right now so quite a comeback  :grin:).
Now - the console shows Low Console Batteries - but it always says that.  I put new batteries in every 3 months or so because I never know when they are really low.  Even if the data was lost locally due to low batteries, why would WU data be lost?  Thanks, Shelley

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Davis Vantage Vue Lost Data
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 04:00:24 PM »
You haven't mentioned the logger type?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Shelley

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 04:10:31 PM »
Serial - is that what you mean? 

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 05:41:23 PM »
Perhaps if you supplied more information?

Like maybe your WU identification?
And if other data is "messed up" - other than morning low temp and today's rainfall?
And what VWS shows for that data, etc.

Offline Shelley

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 06:16:48 PM »
KMSGULFP34
A couple of other huge temp spikes
And a pressure spike. 
VWS shows what WU shows - but they both agreed before and after this issue.  So - before the issue both showed over 1" of rain (I don't know what either showed for other stats) and now they both show 0.08" Everything is in concurrence currently between VWS, the console and WU.  But I know that the one stat - total rain today - is wrong.

I apologize for not providing all the needed info.  Please let me know if you need more - obviously I'm a rank amateur. 

Shelley

Offline WXWIZARD

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 07:18:57 PM »
Console always shows the console low battery warning and you haven't done nothing about it in the past even after putting in new batteries?  Putting the batteries in wrong?  Shouldn't have to change the console batteries every 3 months even running the console on just battery. Are the batteries good when you test them prior to and when taking them out of the console every 3 months ?
So yeah when you lose total power to a console you will lose the present days values in the console and after the last archive interval in the datalogger.
Just power the console with battery, don't plug in the wall adapter and report back to us.

Offline Shelley

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 07:43:47 PM »
I replace the batteries with new ones each time.  I have never had this happen before so haven't really been concerned about the low battery warning and have had power failures in the past. 
I will do as requested but it will be another day or so.  I really don't want to unplug and and take the chance of losing more data while in the middle of a big rain event.  I'm on the MS Gulf Coast and it is pouring now and supposed to continue through tomorrow.

I really do appreciate everyone's help.  I'll be back soon!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 08:54:30 PM »
KMSGULFP34
A couple of other huge temp spikes
And a pressure spike. 
VWS shows what WU shows - but they both agreed before and after this issue.  So - before the issue both showed over 1" of rain (I don't know what either showed for other stats) and now they both show 0.08" Everything is in concurrence currently between VWS, the console and WU.  But I know that the one stat - total rain today - is wrong.

I apologize for not providing all the needed info.  Please let me know if you need more - obviously I'm a rank amateur. 

Shelley

I don't see any pressure spikes in your WU data.  There's one "spike" in all outside information at 12:11 PM (temperature 0, humidity 0, wind direction N, etc., and at that time the precipitation accumulation goes to zero.

And another such spike at 12:39

Question 1:  does the time on your console agree with the time on your computer?

Question 2:  does the data displayed on your console agree with the data shown in WU (and/or VWS)?  In particular, the (current) rain accumulation? 

Question 3:  what did you do to the computer or console at 12:19 PM?  i.e., did the computer reboot?  the console reboot?  Anything?

**ADDED** I have never seen this symptom before -- the WU data and graphs keep being changed, at times much before I'm viewing them - like around 12 PM and 2 PM, etc.  Shelley, are you doing something to accomplish that?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:14:32 PM by dalecoy »

Offline Shelley

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 10:10:02 PM »
Dalecoy,
The pressure spike has disappeared...
1 - yes the time is in agreement
2 - yes - the data agrees across the console/vws/wu.  That is what flummoxed me - I can understand the console and vws losing the data but once it has been sent to WU why would it change there?
3 - As I said in the original post - about mid-day we lost power for a few min.  So the times you quote are probably the exact times.  My husband was doing some elec. work and flipped the breaker - maybe more than once - I'm not sure and neither is he.
4- Heck no - I'm not doing anything to change data and graphs on WU!  Would have no clue how to.  But - I have seen it change today - like the pressure spike was there then gone then back and now gone again.
Next?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 10:59:51 PM »

2 - yes - the data agrees across the console/vws/wu.  That is what flummoxed me - I can understand the console and vws losing the data but once it has been sent to WU why would it change there?

Next?

Part of that is easy to understand.  VWS sends precipitation accumulation (total) to WU at each interval.  That's accumulation since midnight.  Therefore, if the console suddenly (at a bit after noon) clears its daily precipitation total, that's what VWS sends to WU.   Then the accumulation (should) continue rising from 0.0 if it's raining.

But I'm at somewhat of a loss to explain how/why the other anomalies are showing up and then going away.

Offline Shelley

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 10:11:32 AM »
Dale:
Well - that explains why the data was lost.  I just assumed that since VWS sends data to WU every few seconds that that data was saved.  And the graphs for the total rain for each half day are still pretty correct except for the weird spike so if one were to look at the graph and at the total rain data they would be totally confused (as wasI!)

After today's rain event is overwith I'll do some messing around with the console and see if I can figure out the battery issue.  However, I have ordered a battery backup for the PC/Router/Weather Station/Cameras etc.  I needed to do that anyway.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 10:22:54 AM »
Yes.  That still doesn't explain the strange after-the-fact changes of yesterday's data.  Now at 12:12 PM (was 12:11), 12:39, and 2:01.

Nor why your station reports to WU for yesterday are now showing at 3-minute intervals (but when I looked at them yesterday they were at 2-minute intervals). 

But suddenly- exactly at midnight today - they are again at 2-minute intervals.

I don't know anything about VWS, at all.  But it almost looks like VWS is (or was) confused.

Offline Shelley

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 10:55:55 AM »
I'll shut down VWS and restart and see if that helps.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 12:02:45 PM »
I'll shut down VWS and restart and see if that helps.

Some analysis/comment by a VWS expert would help.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 01:45:19 PM »
Shelley,

I've looked at your station on WU https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMSGULFP34#history) and it appears that VWS is sending weather data at a 5-minute interval to WU. I don't see anything out of the ordinary relative to spikes, etc at the moment.

However, I am concerned with a couple of your statements regarding the battery level being low all the time. So, can you tell us how old your VUE is and whether it may still be under warranty? Have you had any conversation with Davis Technical Support or the place you purchased it from? If the console is really reporting a low battery all the time then I would have to assume, as Dale has mentioned, that you have either inserted the batteries incorrectly or, there is something wrong with your console. Losing power to your station should NOT result in the loss of data since that is what the batteries are for. The AC power unit just provides power to the console so the batteries aren't used except when AC power is lost. The batteries in the console should last for at least a year or longer unless that is your only source of power. I have a Davis Vantage Pro2 and only change the batteries in it once a year simply to ensure that I don't get caught without battery backup during a local power failure.

Once last thing - you said you have a Serial version of the data logger. Can I then assume you are using a Serial to USB converter to connect the console to your computer and then use VWS to process and handle all of the necessary uploads to WU and perhaps other data servers? I'm just trying to get a clear picture of how you have your weather station connected and how VWS is setup so we can make a better analysis of what your issues may be.

Lastly, do you have  website with your weather data on it?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:48:23 PM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 02:14:40 PM »
Thanks for accepting my plea for help.

I've looked at your station on WU https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMSGULFP34#history) and it appears that VWS is sending weather data at a 5-minute interval to WU. I don't see anything out of the ordinary relative to spikes, etc at the moment.

Please take a look at the table data on the 4th, as well as the intervals on the 4th, 5th, and 6th.  I see a lot of variation that I don't understand.  And (for the 4th) I see things like this:

12:04 PM    71 °F    70.1 °F    97 %    SE    1 mph    1 mph    29.89 in    0 in    1.36 in
12:12 PM    0 °F    0 °F    0 %    North    0 mph    0 mph    29.87 in    0 in    0 in
12:15 PM    71.2 °F    70 °F    96 %    SSW    0 mph    1 mph    29.87 in    0 in    0 in
12:18 PM    71.6 °F    70.4 °F    96 %    South    0 mph    1 mph    29.87 in    0 in    0 in
12:21 PM    72 °F    70.8 °F    96 %    South    0 mph    1 mph    29.87 in    0 in    0 in
12:24 PM    70.9 °F    69.7 °F    96 %    SSE    1 mph    2 mph    29.89 in    0 in    1.36 in
12:27 PM    72.5 °F    71 °F    95 %    West    0 mph    1 mph    29.87 in    0 in    0 in
12:30 PM    72.7 °F    71.2 °F    95 %    West    0 mph    1 mph    29.87 in    0 in    0 in
12:33 PM    72.9 °F    71.4 °F    95 %    West    0 mph    0 mph    29.87 in    0 in    0 in
12:36 PM    73.1 °F    71.3 °F    94 %    West    0 mph    1 mph    29.86 in    0 in    0 in
12:39 PM    0 °F    0 °F    0 %    North    0 mph    0 mph    29.87 in    0 in    0 in
12:42 PM    73.3 °F    71.5 °F    94 %    SW    0 mph    1 mph    29.86 in    0 in    0 in
12:45 PM    73.4 °F    71.6 °F    94 %    SW    0 mph    1 mph    29.86 in    0 in    0 in

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 03:21:38 PM »
Yep, I agree the data intervals are not consistent over time. I can't explain that either. It could be that VWS isn't consistent or WU is having issues with her feeds.

However, I still think we need to identify and fix the issue with her "battery low" condition before we do anything else. That definitely is not a good sign and may simply be a symptom of even deeper problems with the console. Who knows, the console could be failing and not sending data out via the data logger in a consistent manner. What version of firmware is she running on her Vue/Console?

Also, I have looked at some of Shelly's older posts and see that she has had her Vue for at least 7 to 8 years, and has replaced the Vue at some point. The console appears to be the original unit she received. She is also apparently not running the latest version of VWS but that should not be causing the battery issue. It could have something to do with the data upload frequencies if one or more of the later VWS versions had patches to correct this kind of issue with the Vue. I would suggest that she first address the battery issue and then attack the other issue(s) once that is resolved.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 04:15:43 PM »
Yep.  It's reasonable to presume that the console "rebooted" during the power outage, which resulted in loss of the data for rain accumulated that day.  So the power issue is first concern.

The rest is curiosity.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 12:32:41 AM »
Just looked at her station graphs again (KMSGULFP34) and noticed that her data starts around Sept 23, 2016 to present. I see nothing prior to then for that station id. Has anyone seen data prior to then? If so, then I suspect WU may be having problems with her account in addition to whatever is causing her low battery condition. These two items may be unrelated except that if the power feeding the console and the battery is too low to keep the console functioning then the spikes may be nothing more than the console starting over again with a clean data logger or bad sensor data values. Does anyone know if the data logger uses non-volatile memory for storing the data. If so, then a power drop-out shouldn't be problematic.

Sorry, just rambling ideas through my head at the moment but thought they might trigger someone else's memory on the subject.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 01:05:42 AM »
Does anyone know if the data logger uses non-volatile memory for storing the data.
It does. For how long, no idea.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 09:36:10 AM »
Archive Storage Capacity (the amount of time before the archive is completely filled):
1 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 42 hours
5 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 days
10 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17 days
15 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26 days
30 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 53 days
60 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 106 days
120 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 213 days

anything