Author Topic: Snowboard  (Read 2265 times)

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Snowboard
« on: November 30, 2016, 01:38:36 PM »
Does anybody have thoughts on a good, durable snowboard (about 2 feet square) to use when measuring snow for CoCoRaHS purposes? Last year, the first year reporting to CoCoRaHS, I used a 3/4" piece of untreated plywood that I had painted white. While it did its job, it warped and really isn't useable this year. Some have suggested using a 3/4" piece of plywood that has been pressure treated, then painted white. Others have suggested using a 3/4" piece of white solid PVC. The later approach sounds durable, but it is costly--$45 for the pvc board and about $20 to ship.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 01:57:41 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Snowboard
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 02:13:33 PM »
This year I purchased a pressure treated sheet of plywood, cost was still about $50 with tax.  I made 4-2x2 boards and had left over wood. Painted each piece white. I spread 3 boards around marked with flag.  The wind blows so much here I like to get an average, I've always found it difficult measuring snow here.
While in Arizona it was a piece of cake the snow usually was wet and stayed where it fell.

Last year I used half a white plastic picnic table top. I found it was holding more heat than wood so ditched the plastic picnic table idea this year. Plastic was rather thick could of been why it was holding heat longer than the piece of plywood I also used.   
Randy

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 02:17:34 PM »
My first thought was a downhill skiing snow board.  :)  Shows you where my mind is...
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 06:15:30 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Stanton-Trading-2-Inch-Cutting-Board/dp/B0032AM0BC/ref=pd_sim_79_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0032AM0BC&pd_rd_r=THV6VYCH48DWQHA6QZB3&pd_rd_w=zDkcH&pd_rd_wg=d0mr3&psc=1&refRID=THV6VYCH48DWQHA6QZB3
12" x 18" x ˝"
$14.99
What I've used since 2012. Free shipping with prime

Just ordered via prime, will have on Friday! Many thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I could afford the one I pointed out that would cost me $65, but in good conscience, I could not pull the trigger for such a mundane weather tool.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 09:58:18 AM »
I also used a 1/2" thick white plastic cutting board from Amazon, but mine was 18x30".  I cut 6" off of one end and use that piece to sweep the snow off the board.  I also painted one corner black so I can see the first flakes of snow more easily.  I think it was about $22 shipped with Prime.

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 08:57:02 AM »
I am using a 24"x24" (61cm) expanded PVC sheet. I added four PVC caps with flat surfaces to the underside using countersunk screws and bolts. The caps provide a "standoff" of about an inch (2.54cm). When I had the snowboard placed directly on the grass, it tended to melt down prior to other insulated/elevated surfaces. Adding "feet" to your snowboard can help with this regardless of type of material.

I countersunk the screw heads so that the spatula wouldn't catch on them when obtaining cores, etc.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 10:30:10 AM »
Mine is also elevated an inch or so, and this year I'm using a thinner green on snowcam  still use elevated white for CCR
,.. Also experimenting with an Ice Bar ...This is second experiment with ICE visual .. earlier attempt was too fancy to work :twisted: we'll see...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:32:15 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 10:40:48 AM »
Mine is bolted to my deck railing with countersunk weatherproof screws.  All snow measurements taken in the yard are somewhat suspect because there is virtually no place that the boarder collie doesn't run.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 11:03:40 AM »
I also have my board on the deck railing.  And have a patio table as a second flat surface nearby for second opinion...  Both are near the CoCoRaHS gauge.  For the yard depth I have worn a pad half way around the house where I walk with my measuring stick and take 10 samples each day and average these.  Surprising how similar the depth is in each location - today mostly within 1 cm in 8 locations (~23 cm), and the other 2 which were 2~3 cm less (20 and 21 cm) as a couple of trees do affect the snow accumulation there.  So far we have not had any significant blizzard conditions that can move snow from bare to metre drifts everywhere.

Paul

anything