Author Topic: WX Station Recently Relocated  (Read 2654 times)

Offline rrwcf

• "How's the weather up there?"
WX Station Recently Relocated
« on: May 17, 2011, 10:54:26 AM »
I've been operating for about a year with a "temporary" instrument location.  I was too embarrassed to show a picture because the temp/humidity sensors were mounted above a large bush.  :oops:

This week I finally got busy and made the needed improvements.  The utility pole 25-feet tall and the anemometer is at 27-feet AGL.  The ISS is 6-feet AGL.

Gladstone's Dew Point ratings have not improved as much as I had hoped.  I realize that the CWOP siting guidelines recommend that the temp/humidity sensors be away from taller objects.  Do you think that the utility pole is a problem?

My current operating theory is that the pole was on the ground for a long time (I procrastinated) and absorbed moisture.  I want to wait a while before I make calibration changes.

Any input?

Here are some Pictures:

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:16:36 PM by rrwcf »

(Rom 1:16,17)
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is reve

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
Re: WX Station Recently Relocated
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 11:19:31 AM »
I don't think the pole would be an issue as far as temp/humidity readings. 

My concern would be rain shadowing from the pole but even that shouldn't
be too bad.

Don't get too caught up in the chasing CWOP ratings.  Remember these are based
on readings of other stations in your area and who knows how well they are sited.
Your MASDIS rating is two thumbs up and that's more important.  8-)

Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline utahweatherbear

• Senior Contributor
    • Weatherbear's World
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 12:03:47 PM »
Agree the main issue would be rain shadow. With that large a pole and being right against it could be quite significant if the wind was blowing across the pole into bucket. Moving it out from pole would help. Also, it is large and dark enough where it could radiate some heat, especially if the sun is hitting that side. Painting the pole white at and below sensor level would pretty much take care of that issue. Again, moving it out from pole would help that too. Wind placement looks perfect. :D

Offline rrwcf

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 12:14:36 PM »
Thanks very much for the encouragement!

I have some concern over the turbulence caused by the pole and the rainfall readings.  I will monitor that closely. I put the collector on the predominant windward side of the pole (actually, perpendicular to that direction...) in order to reduce the effect of the pole.

Thanks for your comments.

Russ

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is reve

Offline rrwcf

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Agree the main issue would be rain shadow. With that large a pole and being right against it could be quite significant if the wind was blowing across the pole into bucket. Moving it out from pole would help. Also, it is large and dark enough where it could radiate some heat, especially if the sun is hitting that side. Painting the pole white at and below sensor level would pretty much take care of that issue. Again, moving it out from pole would help that too. Wind placement looks perfect. :D

Thanks!  I was already planning on painting the pole!

Great minds.

I appreciate you taking the time to assess the site.

Russ

For therein is reve

anything