Author Topic: Vantage Vue and WiFiLogger combo for easy and reliable remote PWS?  (Read 472 times)

Offline mauka

• “Kolea” non-stop migratory flight Hawaii to Alaska
Will be visiting our new home for just a week and would like to install a PWS that is easy and reliable.  Will only have a few days to install and troubleshoot so I am leaning towards all in one systems like Ambient WS-2000.

However a combination of Vantage Vue and WiFiLogger is close enough in price to be a consideration.

Davis has good reputation, WiFiLogger has good reviews but is relatively new.

Concerned about what software could be used to remotely view data since I’d be using a non-Davis unsupported device for uploads.

Also a bit concerned about ability of Scaled Instruments to process and ship quickly, and the high shipping costs shown in cart, for a address in Washington State, not Hawaii.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 08:44:49 PM by mauka »

Offline JudinNorman

Re: Vantage Vue and WiFiLogger combo for easy and reliable remote PWS?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 08:39:46 PM »
2nd day air shipping be your preferred option.  Shouldn't be an issue for it to arrive within few days of ordering from Ryan.

Offline mauka

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 08:43:12 PM »
Thanks!

But the estimate for 2nd day air is $430.18 - for residential address in Washington State.

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 09:10:25 PM »
I think you should give him a call, that sounds like an error to me.

Offline mauka

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 12:29:27 PM »
Decided on and ordered the Ambient WS-2000 from Amazon.

The primary reason is I expect the WS-2000 will be a one box, one vendor solution.

Second reason is I trust Amazon to reliably process and ship my order, and in fact my order shipped six hours after being placed.

Third reason is price.  The WiFi solutions I found for Davis were $600+, and used the Ambient Weatherbridge.  I could not find the WiFiLogger product on Amazon.  The $430 shipping quote from Scaled Instruments is very likely a mistake, but a mistake that left a bad first impression.

However a Davis may be in my future, especially if they update their product for the 21st century.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 01:19:15 PM »
For the WiFi Logger (WFL) you'll want to get that from Ryan at Scaled Instruments.  Actually, I'd recommend you get a quote on that and the Davis equipment.  You won't find a cheaper place.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/wifilogger/

https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI