Author Topic: No wind/gusts readings  (Read 671 times)

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
No wind/gusts readings
« on: November 27, 2018, 04:02:46 PM »
I recently posted a question in the software portion of the forum -- thinking my problem was software related.  Now, I think it's hardware.
I'm getting all the readings from my station except wind.  I replaced the wiring (actually spliced it where I saw some minor nicks) -- but it did no good.
The station is fairly new (Oct 2017) -- it seems a shame to have to buy a new anemometer so soon -- and they are not inexpensive.
Any suggestions for the next diagnostic step?
thanks,
-gene
Geno

Davis 6323 Wireless Vantage Pro2 ISS
with 24-Hr Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield and Aerocone
VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: No wind/gusts readings
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 04:10:01 PM »
I recently posted a question in the software portion of the forum -- thinking my problem was software related.  Now, I think it's hardware.
I'm getting all the readings from my station except wind.  I replaced the wiring (actually spliced it where I saw some minor nicks) -- but it did no good.
The station is fairly new (Oct 2017) -- it seems a shame to have to buy a new anemometer so soon -- and they are not inexpensive.
Any suggestions for the next diagnostic step?
thanks,
-gene

Contact Davis to get a (free) Anemometer Test Cable (or make one using instructions in this forum).

That would let you determine for sure, if the fault is the anemometer/wiring or in the SIM.

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 04:29:38 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll look for the instructions to construct a new cable.
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 01:41:05 PM »
Just got off the phone with Davis Instruments.  Great customer support.  After going through a number of diagnostics on my console, it was determined that my anemometer was dead.  A replacement is in the mail (free of charge -- thank you Davis!!!).  Interestingly, they want the bad one returned -- perhaps to learn what's creating this problem.  My station is only 1 year old so is seems there's an issue with this part of the system.

Will update this post when the new one arrives and is tested.
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 08:32:25 AM »
Interestingly, they want the bad one returned -- perhaps to learn what's creating this problem.

I don't know if they have changed their policy, but when I had a problem with my humidity sensor, they sent me a new one too. The thing was that I had something like thirty days to return the bad one or they would charge me for it. There was an agreement in the RMA for this if I remember correctly.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 11:58:55 PM »
One thing I can think of... It keeps them from sending out free spare parts just on someone's word that things are broken.

Interestingly, they want the bad one returned -- perhaps to learn what's creating this problem.

I don't know if they have changed their policy, but when I had a problem with my humidity sensor, they sent me a new one too. The thing was that I had something like thirty days to return the bad one or they would charge me for it. There was an agreement in the RMA for this if I remember correctly.

Greg H.

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 10:40:46 AM »
The Davis policy is still the same -- I will need to return the defective part.  I was given an RMA #
I was slightly out of warranty (maybe a month) but they were happy (it seemed) to offer a free replacement.
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 11:00:56 AM »
As you said, Great Customer Support.
It's what keeps buyers coming back.
By the way, hey there neighbor, sort of. :-)

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 09:28:32 AM »
Hey Ocala!
Nice to find another weather junkie in the neighborhood.  Have you discovered Ryan in Gainesville?  He operates Scaled Instruments -- an excellent source of weather stations, etc. at the best price on the internet.
-gene
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

anything