Author Topic: WS-2902A WS-2000 ObserverIP How to Calibrate for Sea Level Pressure  (Read 3735 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Excuse me? I'm not jamming a damn thing down anyone's throat. I didn't realize that me having to disclose that my Vue console has the ability to calculate the altimeter was part of the discussion. If you'll notice, the title of the thread that YOU STARTED has the word ALTIMETER in it. I have no idea what your equipment can or can't do so my posts are to try to educate, if not you, perhaps others.
BTW, I used the altimeter setting with my VP2 console also, it just not as accurate at higher and lower pressures as the Vue, but certainly usable. You don't have to have a console that specifically has the altimeter setting to use the altimeter. Good enough?

Yes I started the thread and called it that. But I've changed my mind. So thank you for pointing it out I've renamed the thread and deleted Altimeter from the title. No need to edit anything else. Thread speaks for itself. Perhaps it was a bit harsh to say you jammed Altimeter down people's throat, but it does seem to me that you have chimed in many pressure discussions and you always seem to be there to let everyone know that you use Altimeter. And that is fine, you should be able to do that. But in my effort to get along I started promoting your preferences along with mine at the same time. That is where Ive now changed my mind. I don't think Altimeter is where we should be steering newbies. Especially when they don't have the hardware/software to so so properly.

The reason your VP2 console was not accurate is because it was doing SLP calculations internally. Same as any other station hardware that wasn't designed to properly handle Altimeter. Anyone can calibrate to Altimeter but they probably will experience issues not just at high elevations but at extreme temperatures. It is good to have it all disclosed. Now newbies will know that this may be a complex issue.

Good enough?

Yep good enough. Not looking to stir the pot. I conceded and accept your reasons or anyone else for using Altimeter. I see the value depending on what you are aiming to get out of your station. I just think that more details need to be disclosed especially to newbies when discussing Altimeter. And I'm seeing those details coming out now from me and from you. So all good.

By the way I have nothing against Altimeter. I report Altimeter to CWOP with my Meteobridge. At the same time my Meteobridge reports SLP to other services.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:48:31 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Excuse me? I'm not jamming a damn thing down anyone's throat. I didn't realize that me having to disclose that my Vue console has the ability to calculate the altimeter was part of the discussion. If you'll notice, the title of the thread that YOU STARTED has the word ALTIMETER in it. I have no idea what your equipment can or can't do so my posts are to try to educate, if not you, perhaps others.
BTW, I used the altimeter setting with my VP2 console also, it just not as accurate at higher and lower pressures as the Vue, but certainly usable. You don't have to have a console that specifically has the altimeter setting to use the altimeter. Good enough?
I don't think Altimeter is where we should be steering newbies. Especially when they don't have the hardware/software to so so properly.
Please, education is power and I think most here are intelligent enough to figure it out, equipment capable or not. What do you think everyone sees every time one visits an ASOS, AWOS site...the altimeter, let alone the local news ect., which is exactly where they get it from.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WS-2902A WS-2000 ObserverIP How to Calibrate for Sea Level Pressure
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2018, 08:21:29 PM »
Even for intelligent people none of this is easy to figure out.

When I look at all three ASOS around me (aviationweather.gov) I see both Altimeter and Sea Level Pressure. And it looks like this:
Pressure (altimeter):   30.02 inches Hg (1016.7 mb) [Sea level pressure: 1016.4 mb]

I can also use Mesowest and see both ALT and SLP even for those stations that only report Altimeter.

I have no argument for the useless media.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:28:29 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 08:40:32 PM »
Even for intelligent people none of this is easy to figure out.
I didn't mean how it's all calculated, forget that, I'm clueless. I'm talking about what to personally select as what you want to display, equipment capable or not. At least, perhaps, someone may want to go off the ledge and attempt an altimeter setting....I did with my VP2 and was satisfied, for a while... Simply a choice.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 09:08:56 PM »
Well I agree there is a choice to be made. But it isn't a simple choice. I realize I can't educate people on pressure and ignore that Altimeter exists. Because people will stumble on it and wonder what Altimeter is and how it relates to the discussion of calibration of their station and how SLP fits in.

But I have also realized that I can't continue to simply just say, "Altimeter or SLP pick one" as I was touting before as if it didn't matter to their equipment. It will need to be explained.
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 09:22:01 PM »
But it isn't a simple choice.
For you, maybe not, for me, no brainer.
GL in your quest.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 09:40:54 PM »
There's whole lot of windmill tilting going on.

anything