Author Topic: Atlas - Back to Amazon it goes!!  (Read 1784 times)

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
Atlas - Back to Amazon it goes!!
« on: September 23, 2018, 05:35:06 PM »
Amazon delivered Atlas today and tomorrow it's going back.

I removed the 5N1 and placed Atlas on the same pole. Added Atlas to Dashboard and awaited readings.  Nothing comes up after 10 minutes.  Bring Atlas in house next to Access and signal becomes strong.  Take Atlas back outside to the old 5N1 site and signal drops to 0.  (old 5N1 signal remains strong)

This says it all. (both sensors placed at the exact same site and reporting to the same Access hub):

It looks like Chaney screwed up the wireless range with Atlas.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 10:46:38 AM by davefr »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: Atlas - Back to Amazon this POS goes!!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 05:51:38 PM »
Weird. Mine has 4 bars... Never had an issue with the access. I had to move my console around to keep from losing signal in the first location I had it installed. I would suggest moving the access around a bit, and I bet you find a good signal.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 06:04:51 PM »
Very strange...mine is about 50 feet away with zero problems.  Maybe you have some kind of external interference?  I've been an Atlas beta tester for many, many months.  Went through a number of Access modules during testing and never had an issue. 
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 06:06:10 PM »
It's going to take around 10 to 15 minutes before it registers on myAcurite alone.

Sheesh...  :roll:

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 06:35:00 PM »
It did register after I brought it in and then back outside but signal dropped to (0 - "Poor") vs 5N1 (4 -"Excellent").

I'm not going to fight unreliable wireless connections nor locate a new site - it's just not worth it.  5N1 and Access have been rock solid at about 100' separation so I'm going to refrain from fixing what isn't broken.

I agree RF can act weird at times so YMMV.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 06:38:21 PM by davefr »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 08:10:16 PM »
For what it is worth the Atlas Elite has longer range than the regular Atlas.
Now if they would just sell the Atlas Elite that would be a novel idea.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 10:20:16 PM »
In any case, Acurite didn't "screw with the range".

Hundreds of testers didn't run into such problems, and many new users are coming on line without issues.

Did you check your battery insertion?  Like the 5n1, it has two batts in parallel in series with another two batts in parallel.  If one of the banks is inserted incorrectly, you're living on half-power.

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 08:33:09 AM »
So has anyone else done a side by side comparison of 5N1 and Atlas sensor's signal strength at the same exact same site/mount and at distances of 100'+?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 09:53:01 AM »
So has anyone else done a side by side comparison of 5N1 and Atlas sensor's signal strength at the same exact same site/mount and at distances of 100'+?

My Nebraska unit is out 200+' where my 5n1 used to be.  Better signal, too, though it does get touchy this time of year as the trees are in full leaf. 

You're the first person I've heard complain of the range.  There were around 100-some beta testers alone, not including the field test.  You'd think someone would have noticed if Acurite had "screwed with the range".

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 10:26:45 AM »
Then it sounds like I must have rec'd a unit with a weak/defective/untuned transmitter or something is causing interference with Atlas but not my old 5N1.

Is the antenna in the Atlas identical to the one in the 5N1?  (is it a coil or a wire?)

:???:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 11:22:02 AM »
Then it sounds like I must have rec'd a unit with a weak/defective/untuned transmitter or something is causing interference with Atlas but not my old 5N1.

Is the antenna in the Atlas identical to the one in the 5N1?  (is it a coil or a wire?)

:???:

It's a coil like the 5n1.  Same frequency.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: Atlas - Back to Amazon it goes!!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 11:26:31 AM »
I found if I rotated my Access, the signal would change. I still think you needed to move it around some.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 12:12:09 AM »
It did register after I brought it in and then back outside but signal dropped to (0 - "Poor") vs 5N1 (4 -"Excellent").

I'm not going to fight unreliable wireless connections nor locate a new site - it's just not worth it.  5N1 and Access have been rock solid at about 100' separation so I'm going to refrain from fixing what isn't broken.

You might have disclosed that you modified the Access antenna.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35068.msg358699#msg358699

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 09:59:42 AM »

Yep, that could play a BIG part in the reception issue..

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 10:06:15 AM »

Yep, that could play a BIG part in the reception issue..

....The role would be significantly improved reception.  It was for 5N1.

If Atlas uses the same basic radio AND frequency it should also be better but it wasn't.  Does Atlas use the same 433 Mhz freq as 5N1?

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 11:26:43 AM »
you should either try using a stock, unaltered Access, or, put yours back to exactly how it was from the factory and see if it works properly then; no one else seems to be reporting the issue you are, so that is the first thing I would try..

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 07:06:24 PM »
you should either try using a stock, unaltered Access, or, put yours back to exactly how it was from the factory and see if it works properly then; no one else seems to be reporting the issue you are, so that is the first thing I would try..

Too late.  It was already returned but that would be an interesting experiment. I just don't see how an improved antenna for 5 in 1 would be detrimental to Atlas  given they use the same sensor transmitter.

I'm happy with 5 in 1 and Access.  It's been rock solid for months and rarely deviates from 4 bar signal strength at 125'+ range so I'll just stay the course.

None of the added Atlas features were that compelling to me with the exception of the console.  I think they nailed it with the new TFT touch screen console.

My idea of a perfect weather station would be the Atlas touch screen console except with integrated WiFi (like Ambient Weather's 2902) and a Davis 1000' range Vantage sensor.  Everyone has a piece of the puzzle but no-one has put it all together.

P.S. I see the Atlas + Console bundle has just dropped to $175 @ Amazon.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 07:13:14 PM by davefr »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 07:48:36 PM »
I just don't see how an improved antenna for 5 in 1 would be detrimental to Atlas  given they use the same sensor transmitter.

What makes you think that they are using the same sensor transmitter?

I took no hard measurements, but on an SDR the Atlas signal seems a bit hotter than the 5n1.  During testing a number of people noted the Atlas signal (as noted by their Access) was better than their 5n1 in the same location.

A common problem of "improved" antenna mods with the SmartHUB/Access has been the over-loading of the front-end receiver chip. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 07:52:31 PM by nincehelser »

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 08:04:01 PM »
P.S. I see the Atlas + Console bundle has just dropped to $175 @ Amazon.

Now that complicates things. I was just about to buy the complete bundle tomorrow. Buying the complete bundle would only cost me $10 more than the acurite website as I already have the access but it would also give me a spare Access. Now with this budle being $175, I have to recalculate if the full bundle is worth it.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

anything