Author Topic: Is there a way to get another's "Embeddable URL"?  (Read 1391 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Is there a way to get another's "Embeddable URL"?
« on: July 16, 2018, 10:20:58 AM »
Previously with WL1, you could click on any station on the map and get the "blue sky w/clouds" old display screen. This could be added to a website, or bookmarked, etc.

Now with WL2, you only get a gray box with the data and a link to the bulletin (if you have Pro).

I cannot seem to find an equivalent way to access the "EmbeddablePage URL" for other stations (like mine: https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/36dd565fa0c34d82a26e2ce9c1b38abb/wide )

Is there a way to do this other than trying to get the station's owner to send you the link?

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline graculus

Re: Is there a way to get another's "Embeddable URL"?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 10:33:20 AM »
You can find 'em with a simple google search so a more targeted search might find what you want  ;)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 12:24:05 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, but the one I am looking for doesn't show up. Good idea though.

I even tried weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/ "Vantage Vue via WeatherLinkIP" as a search term since that is what he is using. His did not show up in the single page of hits.

Greg H.

Online Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 12:54:14 PM »
Hey Greg, well if you know them I would go ahead and ask.  I have just started to use WL2 so just getting into it myself.

CW3699

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 01:13:38 PM »
It's worth remembering that in the API documentation it says 'Please DO NOT distribute or share your unique API token. '. I don't see any way they can stop you but Davis are obviously not keen on encouraging it.

I think the idea is that your data is private unless you choose to publish it eg on your own website or you explicitly share it with someone ( which isn't implemented yet, except for EM, but should be available soon AIUI).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 08:33:01 AM »
It's worth remembering that in the API documentation it says 'Please DO NOT distribute or share your unique API token. '. I don't see any way they can stop you but Davis are obviously not keen on encouraging it.

I think the idea is that your data is private unless you choose to publish it eg on your own website or you explicitly share it with someone ( which isn't implemented yet, except for EM, but should be available soon AIUI).

I don't quite understand what the API token has to do with the "embeddable" pages. I just generated the API token and it is different from string contained in the Bulletin URL and the embeddable links.

My Bulletin looks like this: https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxx4f7a
The embeddable is like this: https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx8abb/wide
Yet the API Token is like this: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX0B35

My point is that you were able to bookmark or use the URL from the old "Blue Sky" page as you wished, yet this new equivalent "embeddable page" seems to be a deep dark secret. I thought that we weren't supposed to be "losing anything" vis-a-vis the WL1 setup.

Greg H.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 09:15:52 AM »
My Bulletin looks like this: https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxx4f7a
The embeddable is like this: https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx8abb/wide
Yet the API Token is like this: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX0B35

Ah OK, must admit that I hadn't looked at them in detail and just assumed they were the same (or at least variations on the same core UUID or whatever it is). But maybe the point still stands that Davis don't appear to want to encourage their distribution.

I thought that we weren't supposed to be "losing anything" vis-a-vis the WL1 setup.

AFAIK that's the general theme, but not sure I've seen it explicitly stated anywhere.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.