Author Topic: Davis+Ultrasonic Anemometer+MBPro  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Davis+Ultrasonic Anemometer+MBPro
« on: April 14, 2018, 05:59:01 PM »
Anybody using an Ultrasonic anemometer on a Davis and running a Meteobridge Pro (RF or cable)?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Davis+Ultrasonic Anemometer+MBPro
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 02:05:25 AM »
No, but curious - which US and how is it interfaced to Davis?  Inquiring minds...
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 03:39:33 AM »
We have one ready to go, but wet weather has delayed the installation! (Access track to the test site inches deep in mud! Hopefully that might improve this week.) Ultrasonic unit is a drop-in replacement for 6410, even down to the RJ11 plug.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 03:53:32 AM »
Darrera make a model for VP2, plugs straight into the ISS anemometer jack but requires separate power.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 04:26:06 AM »
Darrera make a model for VP2, plugs straight into the ISS anemometer jack but requires separate power.

Decent pedigree but that one has quite a high price-tag AFAICS. That said I suspect all U/S anemometers are going to be quite costly, maybe until the mass market develops, but we have a somewhat cheaper one that's also self-powered.

It's a little tricky knowing what to look out for on the trial - in theory U/S units should be both accurate and maintenance-free but I wonder how true that will be in a long-term trial. Not that there's much maintenance one can do - it will be more a question of how well the battery/solar system holds up in these more northerly latitudes (though the next 6 months of summer should be OK, the real test will come next winter) and hopefully the unit will continue to read sensibly without any dropouts or 'brown-outs'. But beyond that and obviously comparing eg max speeds registered during storms it's tricky to know what more to look for.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 11:12:34 AM »
We have one ready to go, but wet weather has delayed the installation! (Access track to the test site inches deep in mud! Hopefully that might improve this week.) Ultrasonic unit is a drop-in replacement for 6410, even down to the RJ11 plug.

Details and pics or it did not happen.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 01:21:52 PM »
I was hoping for something a bit more cost effective

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 01:53:46 PM »

Cheaper than Darrera (sp?) though I think? It's just very low volume at present.

I can't imagine that the components cost too much and presumably priced right now to factor in development costs, early adopter premium etc, so if you wanted 1000 or 10,000 then the price might come tumbling down. What price would you like to see? Cheap as possible obviously, but realistically at what price would people start to get interested and bearing in mind that it's presumably never going to as cheap as the simple and mass-produced 6410?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline spweather

• Contributor
    • Sand Point Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 02:20:24 PM »
Quite frankly, I anticipated having to spend this much to go ultrasonic. However my concern with that unit, is that it cannot tolerate freezing precipitation and has no heating options available. At least not as of late last summer when I was looking into it.

Dennis
Regards,
Dennis

- Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus w/24hr FARS
- Davis (Ultra)Sonic Anemometer
- Boltek/MicroLDN TOA Lightening Detection
- Porcupine Labs LR4/Fluke 414D Laser Rangefinder snow depth measuring sensor

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 02:55:17 PM »

Cheaper than Darrera (sp?) though I think? It's just very low volume at present.

I can't imagine that the components cost too much and presumably priced right now to factor in development costs, early adopter premium etc, so if you wanted 1000 or 10,000 then the price might come tumbling down. What price would you like to see? Cheap as possible obviously, but realistically at what price would people start to get interested and bearing in mind that it's presumably never going to as cheap as the simple and mass-produced 6410?

Uhh... you have seen the Weatherflow units?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 03:20:03 PM »

So...?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 03:36:30 PM »

So...?

Look at the price point.  When it finally ships, it will disrupt the market segment with 3-second wind updates and zero moving parts.....

WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline spweather

• Contributor
    • Sand Point Weather
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 03:50:12 PM »
How much does the Darrera cost, where can it be purchased, can it be heated?

Dennis

Regards,
Dennis

- Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus w/24hr FARS
- Davis (Ultra)Sonic Anemometer
- Boltek/MicroLDN TOA Lightening Detection
- Porcupine Labs LR4/Fluke 414D Laser Rangefinder snow depth measuring sensor

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 04:14:04 PM »
Look at the price point.  When it finally ships, it will disrupt the market segment with 3-second wind updates and zero moving parts.....

Yes, of course. But whether that actually happens won't be clear for a year or two probably. It depends on how well real-world performance lives up to the on-paper specs or how comfortable users are with the data handling. It's not uncommon for new weather stations to be launched with a lot of expectations, but which then fail to live up to their billing. Maybe Weatherflow will be different, but it's got to prove itself first.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 09:13:15 PM »
This is $380 on Ebay with a $100 ship cost form China.  It shows there is room for the price to come down.  I have an order in with WeatherFlow will see what happens.  In talking with them they have units in cold climates that are doing well.  They have a map showing live displays, some of the current ones in Canada seem to be operating fine.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 12:12:16 AM »

So...?

Exactly!  And not just the price point. Look as well at how a user can access the data. The Weatherflow model is, dare I say, it - disruptive.  IF (and yes, time will tell), their hardware delivers it  will make for an interesting time for old school vendors.

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 07:41:14 AM »

So...?

Exactly!  And not just the price point. Look as well at how a user can access the data. The Weatherflow model is, dare I say, it - disruptive.  IF (and yes, time will tell), their hardware delivers it  will make for an interesting time for old school vendors.

lets just say however you access your data now will be no different with weatherflow hardware .

brian at weather display software has made the software fully compatible
boris at meteobridge has made meteobridge fully compatible
vriehen as made a WEEWX version i believe
there other numerous applications being done by end users appearing regularly
weatherflow themselves offer the data in many ways via a free apps for android,IOS, data via API, UDP ,Websocket,IFFT and they also provide you with a web page . https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/station/1200/grid
there is no limitations and its all been done prior to release

has for the hardware extensive field testing has been going on in real world environments not just factory simulated data. one by one any issues
raised are dealt with and until all possible scenarios are addressed i wont make any bold statements in comparisons . im on my third test unit and from each revision the improvements and accuracy has been dealt with . i dont think it will long before it will be ready available exactly the timescale is not something I know  or prepared to take a guess at..

this is the current full install map of weatherflow hardware being tested http://wf.fsoft.com/?type=Sky

at its projected price point it will obviously challenge those popular ambient low cost stations and is far more robust in terms of build quality and weatherflow are not pinning you too the ground on how you get your data and how you can view it.

as for the ultrasonic performance in comparison to the traditional anemometer method its very unfair to make any statement until it is out the filed test period .
i should also add want to use one alongside existing hardware it is no problem see here https://weather34.com realtime  weatherflow hardware used weatherflow uv/solar sensor alongside a second weatherflow temperature sensor is used simultaneously with existing hardware so yes you could easily run the wind data alongside or on its own .

brian
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:53:18 AM by weatherist34 »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 10:11:02 PM »
Weatherflow data access is not an issue, that's already available and in some respect UDP output is something that might become more common as it makes accessing the data stream that much easier.

Maybe where these U/S Weatherflow units will struggle is in very cold climates but then this is no different to any of the other recreational units in ice conditions be they U/S or other. Ultrasonic does require some hefty power requirements to work in block ice conditions and internal batteries simply won't have the capacity to run heaters for any length of time. Some of the better U/S sensor heating systems are running 24 volts up to 10 amps   

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 10:41:16 AM »
This is the self-powered LCJ ultrasonic anemometer, installed just this afternoon. A bit more information, including live data, on our main EM site at http://davisenviromonitors.com/lcj-ultrasonic-anemometer/ .
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:45:39 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

anything