Author Topic: New Weather Station and Mounting Recommendateions  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Bill28304

New Weather Station and Mounting Recommendateions
« on: January 04, 2018, 12:08:08 PM »
Currently I have an Ambient Weather WS-2801I but I'm looking to buy a weather station with more capabilities .  I'm most concerned about how it's going to be mounted.  I am surrounded by tall pines, and my mounting solution that I can see is a chimney mount.  There I'll have limited sun exposure in the morning, and pretty good exposure in the early to mid afternoon.  My main concern is my accessibility to the station/sensors as I cannot get on the roof.  I'll need to pay for installation but I'm not sure I want to hire someone every time I need to change a battery, etc, unless it's very infrequent.  Does anyone have a good solution for me, a station that requires little maintenance, and a mounting solution, perhaps something telescopic ?   Also, I'd really like a station that that lets me capture data, such as temperature, dew point, wind speed, etc, at least hourly or in shorter intervals if possible.  Thanks for taking the time to help me!
Bill

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
Re: New Weather Station and Mounting Recommendateions
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 12:50:35 PM »
What is your budget?

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline Bill28304

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 12:56:55 PM »
Thank you for the reply.   I'd like to keep it to about $450 or so, but I'm somewhat flexible.   If another $100 - $200 would give me a better solution I'd surely consider that.   

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 01:06:21 PM »
I am surrounded by tall pines
and
a station that requires little maintenance
will not go together as you will have to continuously check your rain bucket for pine needles.
In my opinion it will be best to have a split system, not an All-in-one. Place the wind sensors on the chimney (less maintenance) and the rest lower down where you can inspect it easier.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Bill28304

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 10:10:30 PM »
Thank you for that suggestion.  The split system makes a lot of sense. I'll also add that it's not the maintenance I mind, it's getting into high places such as my roof.   I'm aware of the Davis models that are split, but are there others I might consider? 

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 06:16:50 PM »
Thank you for the reply.   I'd like to keep it to about $450 or so, but I'm somewhat flexible.   If another $100 - $200 would give me a better solution I'd surely consider that.

Well for $428 you can buy the Davis 6152 or for $559 for the 6153, the Wired ones are even cheaper. Then there is the Davis Vantage Vue 6250 All-in-1 for $268, all from Scaled Instruments and you cannot beat Ryan's top notched Customer Service and his prices...........

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product-category/davis-instruments/complete-weather-stations/
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 06:24:14 PM by benay ra'am »

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline Bill28304

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 06:31:28 PM »
Thank you so much.  I'll check that out.  By the way, I'm right down the road from you in Fayetteville.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 06:31:54 PM »

Offline Bill28304

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 09:16:44 AM »
Thanks CW2274.  That's very helpful information.