Author Topic: Vitual Vp using a USB to serial connection?  (Read 4515 times)

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Current weather conditions in North Phoenix, Ariz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
    • Pepper Ridge North Valley  Weather and Lightning
Vitual Vp using a USB to serial connection?
« on: December 13, 2007, 02:01:27 PM »
Hello,

I am wondering about running vitual Vp with a serial to usb adapter. My old computer is dying an a new one is on the way. With the old setup I had a built in serial port that worked just fine, but the new computer has no such option.(no serial ports) I am debating which option is best the usb to serial adapter setup or adding a PCI serial port card. I was wondering if there are any issues with the usb to serial adpater option with running virtualVP with Windows XP pro.

Thanks,
             Jeanette
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 02:03:04 PM by AZmonsooncats »
"Some dreams are in the night time, And some seem like yesterday
But leaves turn brown and fade, Ships sail away
You long to say a thousand words…but Seasons Change."

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/

Offline TNETWeather

• Kevin Reed (KrelvinAZ)
  • Senior Contributor
  • Davis Vantage Pro2+ with full FARS
Re: Vitual Vp using a USB to serial connection?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 03:03:46 PM »
Personally, I would recommend the Serial Card.  That will work regardless.

USB to Serial can be an issue based on which cable you use, and how stable the drivers are for it.

You don't see people complaining about their Serial connection failing but you do see a lot of that with USB.

Steve might be able to provide you with some insight on what users of VirtualVP have had though.
All you need is Time, Aptitude and Desire ... and you can build just about anything...

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 04:38:23 PM »
I use a serial to usb  with XP and have had no problems since I bought a new pc  about 5 months ago. The only glitch I get is when I restart the computer. For what ever reason I have to unplug the adapter from the pc and plug it back in in order to communicate with the data logger.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 08:29:16 AM »
The have been a varing degree of problems with the serial to usb adapters. Seem there are more people have problems that people who don't. I personally would go with installing a serial card.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 09:34:45 AM »
Yep, I agree. Take USB out of the loop all together.

Bob

www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline akinvic

• http://www.vicweather.net
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 01:27:55 PM »
I use a USB to serial adapter in my setup, which includes a PC that doesn't have a serial port, for more than a year. Zero problems. Got it for $30 I think.  And I used to have the USB version of Weatherlink that did have tons of problems before I switched to a serial connection. I suppose you could see if you could buy one, try it, and if it doesn't do the trick get a refund and get the serial card.

Cheers,
Andreas
Victoria, BC - the banana belt of Canada. Our snow is actually falling tree blossoms!

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Current weather conditions in North Phoenix, Ariz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
    • Pepper Ridge North Valley  Weather and Lightning
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 12:02:33 PM »
Well I resolved this problem with the new computer by adding a PCI serial card which filled the last full size PCI slot with the Boltek card filling the other. I got the card fot about $20.00 a 2 port card by Net-Mos the only issue was getting the drivers installed there were many options and I finally got it to work although for some reason it has a driver for a unusable parallel port, (none exist on the card) :shock:, that would not install but serial drivers finally installed and are working fine. I hooked up the Vantage Pro2 to one port and are running Virtual VP without problems. I am also using a serial to Usb adapter that is hooked up to the OLD WMII so I can still pull data down from it  ;)

I think I got most of the kinks out of resetting everything up on the website at:
                                                                                                      www.pepperridgenorthvalley.com

Thanks for all  the input

Jeanette
"Some dreams are in the night time, And some seem like yesterday
But leaves turn brown and fade, Ships sail away
You long to say a thousand words…but Seasons Change."

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/