Author Topic: Weatherlink IP and Orbi Wireless Routers  (Read 10031 times)

Offline rbulson

Weatherlink IP and Orbi Wireless Routers
« on: December 12, 2017, 05:56:04 PM »
I was previously uploading data from my Vantage Pro2 using Davis Instruments' WeatherLink IP connected to a satellite (wireless) Air Port Extreme router with no problems.  Last Friday I switched my router system to NetGear's Orbi mesh router system (AC3000) again connecting the WeatherLink IP to a wireless satellite.  Now my site (KAKEAGLE31) no longer uploads data.  My computer OS is Mac based so there is no Davis Instruments software to help set this up.  I've tried locating the IP address of the WeatherLink IP with iNet and Fing mobile apps to no avail.  Davis tech support, although very nice, has no experience with connecting to Orbi.  Does anyone have experience with the Orbi routers?

Desperate in Alaska.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Weatherlink IP and Orbi Wireless Routers
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 06:04:03 PM »
Do you know if your previous IP address was set as Static or DHCP?

If static then you may need to connect back to old router and set IP logger to DHCP, then when connected to current router reboot he WLIP to acquire new IP relative to new router?

If had been DHCP than reboot the WLIP to acquire new IP relative to new router.

Offline rbulson

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 06:06:08 PM »
Unfortunately, I do not.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 06:07:24 PM »
Try Angry IP Scanner to scan your network for IP addresses in use.

http://angryip.org/download/#windows for windows, and
http://angryip.org/download/#mac for Mac

Seems that the Orbi default IP is 192.168.1.1. I would unplug the Orbi during the scan just incase the WeatherLink IP was set to this IP.

Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 06:14:59 PM »
Unfortunately, I do not.

Then assuming it may have been DHCP? Then try repowering the IP logger (Console or Envoy) and see if it picks up a new IP.

Offline EA1EF

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 12:38:03 PM »
Any cases when unknown IP detection we can try solve force on router port settings menu to 10 mbps full duplex. Be careful setting correct port number where you plug gost interface

Some routers have problems in auto speed negotiation...

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 01:36:13 PM »
I was previously uploading data from my Vantage Pro2 using Davis Instruments' WeatherLink IP connected to a satellite (wireless) Air Port Extreme router with no problems.  Last Friday I switched my router system to NetGear's Orbi mesh router system (AC3000) again connecting the WeatherLink IP to a wireless satellite.  Now my site (KAKEAGLE31) no longer uploads data.  My computer OS is Mac based so there is no Davis Instruments software to help set this up.  I've tried locating the IP address of the WeatherLink IP with iNet and Fing mobile apps to no avail.  Davis tech support, although very nice, has no experience with connecting to Orbi.  Does anyone have experience with the Orbi routers?

Desperate in Alaska.

I have the same Orbi system.  I'm running the Vue using the  WeatherLink IP.  The only difference is I plugged my  WeatherLink IP into the main router instead of a satellite.  Works fine.  Perhaps try plugging your WeatherLink IP into the main router. 

Offline rbulson

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 02:21:08 PM »
I've tried connecting via ethernet to the Orbi router (not the satellite) and still have no upload.  I cannot find the device ID for the Weatherlink IP either when I do an IP scan of my network, so it seems like it does not exist.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 02:56:26 PM »
When you log into the router does it show up there?

Offline rbulson

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 02:58:57 PM »
No.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 04:24:52 PM »
Key questions have been asked but not answered here:

1. Have you fully power-cycled the console (removed all power for eg 20-30 secs)

2. Do you hear the correct number of beeps as the console powers up again?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 04:27:46 PM »
You really need to get the old router back that did work to be able to check exactly how the WLIP is setup and also be able to default it. If unable to do that then duplicate the settings of the old router in another router. Until both the router and WLIP are in the same gateway/subnet mask then it simply will not talk and obviously the WLIP is the complete unknown in this case.

Offline rbulson

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 04:46:13 PM »
johnd - I fully power-cycled the console a few days ago with Davis Tech support on the line.  Three beeps were heard indicating that the console recognizes the WLIP.  I also did it this morning when I directly connected it to the Orbi router instead of the satellite.

Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't my router see the WLIP even it is not connected to the console but is connected to the router via ethernet?  Seems to me the router is the problem.

Mattk - I will pursue using the old router (Airport Extreme connected wireless to Time Capsule).  Being that Davis Instruments software does not support Mac it makes my troubleshooting that much more difficult.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 05:01:49 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't my router see the WLIP even it is not connected to the console but is connected to the router via ethernet?  Seems to me the router is the problem.

No.  The WLIP needs to be getting power from somewhere (the console).

Offline rbulson

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 05:04:13 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 05:09:03 PM »
Even if Davis did support MAC then it may be of no benefit as if the router can't connect to the WLIP then doesn't matter which system you are using WeatherLink will not see the WLIP. If you were able to find the WLIP by the Local Device ID then you probably still need to login into the WLIP webpage itself?

The whole unknown here is how was that WLIP originally setup, if it was a static IP then until you can duplicate the old router and connect you have a bit of a problem, if the WLIP was DHCP then there should not be many reasons why any other router won't connect with a power recycle. 

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 07:32:52 PM »
I've tried connecting via ethernet to the Orbi router (not the satellite) and still have no upload.  I cannot find the device ID for the Weatherlink IP either when I do an IP scan of my network, so it seems like it does not exist.

Something else you may want to try.....when I first hooked mine up to the Orbi router, the Davis weatherlink did not work.  I took the Envoy apart and ended up changing the batteries and doing the reset procedure.  Once I did all that, we were back on line.

Offline rbulson

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 07:51:43 PM »
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 05:31:25 AM »
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

also check to make sure you don't have a bad ethernet connection on the Orbi router.

Offline rbulson

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 03:16:07 PM »
Tried another ethernet port to no avail.  Also, tried fresh batteries on console to no avail. Orbi account software sees the WLIP with Mac address (but no IP) as device with a wired connection but "not connected" to network.  I'm next going to contact Orbi tech support to see how/if I can connect it.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 05:33:09 PM »
Tried another ethernet port to no avail.  Also, tried fresh batteries on console to no avail. Orbi account software sees the WLIP with Mac address (but no IP) as device with a wired connection but "not connected" to network.  I'm next going to contact Orbi tech support to see how/if I can connect it.

ok...good luck.  please report back.

remember im running the envoy with my weatherlink.  no console involved.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 05:54:09 PM »
. Orbi account software sees the WLIP with Mac address (but no IP) as device with a wired connection but "not connected" to network.  I'm next going to contact Orbi tech support to see how/if I can connect it.

That strongly suggests that the WLIP was set up with a static IP address, that is outside the current address space of the current router.

Who set up your WLIP originally?  Do you suppose they would remember?

There have been several suggestions above, involving use of your Air Port Extreme router.  Is it still available?

Orbi will probably tell you to do something that you can't.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 08:01:22 PM »
On a Windows machine, open a command prompt window (DOS). Power cycle or reset the WLIP. Wait a few seconds then enter this command in the command prompt window.
arp -a

This will show all device MAC and IP addresses.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 03:20:26 AM »

What is your WeatherLink connected to?

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 05:31:55 AM »

What is your WeatherLink connected to?

I'm using the davis Envoy which plugs directly into the router.

anything