Author Topic: LaCrosse c86234 (from Costco)  (Read 4964 times)

Offline 1bird2

LaCrosse c86234 (from Costco)
« on: December 31, 2012, 01:04:09 PM »
Observations on a gift I received.  The price was very good, less than $100 dollars.  Provides basic measurements I wanted, for outdoor temp, humidity, wind speed, rain.  In addition, I wanted to view the data online and publish to one/many web sites.

This product basically does all the above.  Setup was easy, there is an "order" to perform tasks, i.e. initializing all of the wireless components.

Information is streamed to one of the components, which them streams them to a desktop display.  The "system" comes with a USB stick to interface the data from the desktop display to a computer running Heavy Weather 1.54 (which you must download separately).  Also included is a subscription to the LaCrosse Alerts site.

I had everything up and running (not necessarily mounted....) in under one hour.

I also was able to download and configure the WUHU to work with this installation and stream data to the WU network (or others if you choose).

Observations after 5 days:

1.  Connection between the Desktop Display and PC (USB stick) appears to "go in and out" of being connected/disconnected.  I have moved the Display unit around in proximity to the PC, but have not really come to any conclusions based on my actions.  For example, I move the Display unit within 5 ft of the PC -- all works well for many hours, but then find unit/HW software disconnected.  Or, move unit 35 ft away into another room -- all is good for 1 day+, then same symptom happens.
2.  On the above problem (#1), started by installing USB stick on a powered USB hub.  I do not recommend -- problem was far worse until I moved the USB stick on to an actual USB port of the PC.
3.  I have a ticket open with LaCrosse support -- we will see what comes of this and I will post back if there is anything significant I find out.

Other:   It provides what I want, provides an educational experience for my kids and engages them with the weather.  They (my kids) think it is cool to see our conditions on the computer or the internet (WU).

Last Thoughts:
For the $$, I am not complaining about this system.  This is a good, entry level system that is easy to setup.  I would recommend this system to anyone that wants the basics, does not want to spend lots of $$.  Downside so far is the Display to PC connectivity, but I am confident I will figure this out with the help of the LaCrosse support team.  If getting the weather data to a PC/Internet is not important, then there is really no issues I see at all.

KNVHENDE30

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: LaCrosse c86234 (from Costco)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 06:57:48 PM »
Two things come to mind with the PC-to-console connection, possibly signal interference to USB stick in it's present location? Try a very short USB extension cable just long enough to get the USB stick up and away from the PC chassis/connections. Maybe lay it up on top of the P.C.
Also in the HeavyWeather program under "Extras", "Options", about mid-way down there is the option to "Keep weather station in hi-speed comms mode". I believe that function was added because of symptoms you describe. I've never tried it to see how it works though.

Welcome to the forum and Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 07:47:15 PM by DanS »

Offline See3p0

• wunderground link
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 01:01:41 PM »
I too have recently purchased this weather station and the first unit would not establish communications with the anemometer no matter what I tried. I returned it for a different unit and it sync'd up first try. Since then I haven't had any problems. The USB stick for communications with the base station is in the basement under the stairs with the base station a floor above. I have had no problems with communications without enabling the "High Speed" communications option. WUHU uploads to Wunderground.
Lacrosse Tech C86234
Weather Underground KTTMNCAR2

Offline 1bird2

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 01:27:37 AM »
Well, after moving more things around -- I have the Display unit showing synced going on 2+ days.  I did have (and continue to use) the high speed mode.  So, all appears to be working well now.  The display unit is about 5 feet away from my computer, on a shelf about 3 feet above the height of the computer/USB port.  I might move the display around after a few more days of seeing constant connectivity.  Thanks for the ideas and other posts on this topic!!

Offline See3p0

• wunderground link
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »
I now am experiencing the communications issues described. I will begin troubleshooting with the High-speed mode and by using a short USB extension. *Hopeful* :sad:
Lacrosse Tech C86234

Offline karona

• Razdel Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 03:22:44 AM »
I now am experiencing the communications issues described. I will begin troubleshooting with the High-speed mode and by using a short USB extension. *Hopeful* :sad:

Have you disabled "power saving" in the USB ports "Properties" in Device Manager?
Aercus Instruments WS3083
Weather Display 10.37R

Offline See3p0

• wunderground link
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 11:50:14 AM »
In looking at the problem last night I found that the station is communicating with the PC just fine. I am getting errors in the uploader that it can't resolve the upload URL to wunderground. I will look into this further tonight.
Lacrosse Tech C86234