Author Topic: Acurite Atlas Elite  (Read 15026 times)

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
Acurite Atlas Elite
« on: February 09, 2019, 11:42:52 PM »
Back in 2017, when Acurite was announcing the release of the Atlas 7/8, they also included the Atlas Elite. Now that the Atlas 7/8 has been released, I have seen absolutely no mention of the Elite anymore. Is it now off the boards?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Acurite Atlas Elite
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 04:01:31 AM »
Back in 2017, when Acurite was announcing the release of the Atlas 7/8, they also included the Atlas Elite. Now that the Atlas 7/8 has been released, I have seen absolutely no mention of the Elite anymore. Is it now off the boards?

Nope.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 12:41:36 PM »
Can you elaborate? Maybe Victoria has more?

The only thing that could be improved on that would be really beneficial to me is a faster wind and direction update. Also using a display to connect to either a PC or wireless Wifi console with uploading options besides a declining Wunderground.

Everything else Atlas is great as long as it's working. The UV may be a little low at times, but I am no expert there. Some other brands tend to seem on the high side.

Offline Victoria

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 11:21:42 AM »
I'm really not at liberty to discuss specifics on the direction of our product roadmap, nor could I give any timeline. But when I do have information I can share, I will certainly be happy to talk about it here.

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 11:53:08 AM »
I realize Victoria is simply doing her job.  Totally understand that.  It's not her fault at all.

But...

Why is the Atlas Elite such a top secret?  Are they afraid that some other company is going to steal a trade secret?  Rush something to market before Acurite gets a chance to?  Newsflash:  other companies already offer stations that do everything the Elite will do.  They have for years.  This isn't going to bring anything new to the market, only to the brand.

I just don't understand what could be the harm in telling consumers, "We're launching the Elite in summer 2019," for example.  If anything, it would only increase sales because many folks would then hold off on other purchases to get the Elite they've been waiting for instead.  But by NOT giving any information, many people have said screw it and they've bought other weather stations instead.

:roll:
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 12:13:49 PM »
Past experience has shown some people throw a conniption if any projected date is missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 12:57:51 PM »
Wondering about the Atlas Elite is like beating a dead horse. This has been going on for years.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 01:01:08 PM »
Just like WeatherFlow.

Just like Davis.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 02:08:03 PM »
Past experience has shown some people throw a conniption if any projected date is missed.

Those people literally define themselves as fools who aren't worth listening to anyway (somewhat like temper-tantrum throwing toddlers).
Anyone with the slightest grasp of any technical field and/or project management knows that inevitably some glitches will happen. Some of which may affect certain timeline goals, even to the degree of causing the slip of a 'final' completion date. Some of those glitches might be compensated for or worked around, but the possibility of others to impact any projected schedule date is always present. Let alone factoring in the influences of other corp limbs like 'marketing', etc.

I've also been interested in seeing an Elite model PWS, as many others have hoped to see something more about it. As a very patient person (usually), I'll just wait some more to be able to make a comparison with the other expected PWS's on the market, like the seemingly vaporware mythical dragon of a VP3...
 My old La Crosse just keeps on ticking, and haven't even taken all of the new 5in1 out of the box yet. That's going to change this week though, we're looking at sunny skies and 80F+ degree afternoons the rest of the week, yeehaa (after a couple weeks of clouds, cool, and light rain/TS/fog).

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:11:34 PM by Jstx »

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 02:44:46 PM »
Just like WeatherFlow.

Just like Davis.

Did Davis publicly announce a weather station that two years later still wasn't on the market?  I must have missed that.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 02:51:05 PM »
Just like WeatherFlow.

Just like Davis.

Did Davis publicly announce a weather station that two years later still wasn't on the market?  I must have missed that.

Ninchelser's response was appropriate. It was a response to "wondering about the release." The company doesn't have to announce a release for people to wonder about the the VP3 release. And there is a whole lot of VP3 wondering going on, because it is way way overdue. And it has been way more than two years that people have been wondering about the VP3. A few years ago Davis opened up for requests about what they would like to see in a VP3. Then nothing materialized. Then on April fools they joke about the new VP3. It wasn't funny and I found it quite arrogant of them.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 02:53:14 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline rbimd

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 10:55:26 AM »
I'm going to have to go with "WOW" at this point. I have been a loyal AcuRite customer over 5 years, and have 2 PWS's in different parts of the country, endured the forced transition from SmartHub to Access in the hope that I would be able to use the Elite®. So now:
1) AcuRite is shutting down the forum because...........too much time commitment to answer the questions that are posted........too expensive......too many complaints about various issues.....what?
2) I wanted the Elite specifically to replace my 5-N-1's because I needed the promised longer wireless range and faster wind gust speed updates. But AcuRite isn't going to commit publicly to an approximate release date because......there are technical issues that are unresolved?.......other competitors miss their release dates also.........because it's none of my @#&% business....? Great responses.
3) The new sensors apparently require a different Display as they are not backwards compatible with the older ones. Familiar story. Same transmission frequency, at least in the Atlas (433 MHz) so I'm guessing some data protocol was changed. With all of the added costs involved I wonder if sales projections are the reason for shelving/delaying the Elite.... Or the user reviews of the Atlas (check Amazon) from, you know, lay people like myself, not the beta testers who get free product to review.
I was just hoping after the SmartHub PR debacle, that AcuRite would step up its game on the customer relations front. Still waiting...

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 05:19:34 PM »
If I remember correctly, the Atlas was released and generally available to consumers last fall … September 2018 or thereabouts? Does anyone remember an approximate date when the beta testers were given the green light to talk about it on the forums? Since there has been complete silence from Acurite about the Elite, knowing that date range (from beta tester public acknowledgment to release date) may give us some idea if there is still a chance for an Elite release in 2019. 
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 10:09:03 PM »
Has Acurite abandoned the Atlas Elite product? It has been a long time since it was last talked about and I can no longer find any reference to it at all when searching Acurite's site. It used to be you could find the Jan. 2017 CES announcement and a general description of the Elite product when you searched for it on Acurite's site. Now I can't find it at all.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 10:14:13 PM »
Has Acurite abandoned the Atlas Elite product? It has been a long time since it was last talked about and I can no longer find any reference to it at all when searching Acurite's site. It used to be you could find the Jan. 2017 CES announcement and a general description of the Elite product when you searched for it on Acurite's site. Now I can't find it at all.

No.  NDAs are keeping people's lips shut.

The info is still on Acurite's site:  https://www.acurite.com/media/documents/AcuRite-Atlas-Elite-Specifications.pdf

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 12:10:23 PM »
Thanks … good to hear it's still in the works.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 01:29:09 PM »
I don't know where Nincehelser hears all the information, but I'm glad someone can keep us semi informed on what's going on... I still wish Acurite would concentrate on software and more options before anything.

Offline jmello65

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 08:02:37 PM »
The Atlas has too many problems that haven't been resolved -- for them to release the Atlas Elite -- the higher model. I know some will jump on me -- however there are issues/defects/bugs and or whatever you wanna call it that haven't been resolved with the Atlas.  The Atlas is an improvement over the 5 in 1 - however the Atlas hasn't meet its full potential -- like running a 100 yard dash and stopping 15 yards short the finish line -- or painting a house and only painting the front of house and leaving back part unfinished..  Wish they would of just taken more time - listened to what people wanted -- listened to the testers - made the improvements - rechecked then - put out for release. Whats the point of having testers report problems -- if there not fixed. Just a big waste of time  .  I would preferred to have the Atlas Elite - with all the higher updates - that worked than the Atlas with its lesser updates - and problems

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 08:23:07 PM »
The Atlas has too many problems that haven't been resolved -- for them to release the Atlas Elite -- the higher model. I know some will jump on me -- however there are issues/defects/bugs and or whatever you wanna call it that haven't been resolved with the Atlas.  The Atlas is an improvement over the 5 in 1 - however the Atlas hasn't meet its full potential -- like running a 100 yard dash and stopping 15 yards short the finish line -- or painting a house and only painting the front of house and leaving back part unfinished..  Wish they would of just taken more time - listened to what people wanted -- listened to the testers - made the improvements - rechecked then - put out for release. Whats the point of having testers report problems -- if there not fixed. Just a big waste of time  .  I would preferred to have the Atlas Elite - with all the higher updates - that worked than the Atlas with its lesser updates - and problems

Right.   :roll:

You saw how far your complaints got you on Facebook, Jeff.

Don't buy a display if you don't like it.  It's not an integral component of the system.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 08:36:16 PM by nincehelser »

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2019, 07:15:17 PM »
Has there been any recent chit-chat anywhere about the Acurite Atlas Elite? Since it is approaching Aug., I will have to guess that we will not see the Elite in 2019. I would have expected Acurite to open it up to public discussion by the beta testers by now if they were planning to have it market ready by the 2019 Black Friday/holiday buying season. I don't remember exactly when they took the gag rule off for the Atlas 7/8, but I think it was earlier in the year than this.

Oh well, I guess those of us still waiting to see if the Elite is what we want to buy can wait another year.

Offline EverythingWx

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 01:31:57 PM »
I inquired about the Elite and this is what I was told:

"The Atlas Elite weather station is being refined by our development team to ensure that your feedback is incorporated into the final product. We will be ready to communicate more about the Atlas Elite in the near future."

They also said they were no longer looking for beta testers for the Elite.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 02:16:12 PM »
I inquired about the Elite and this is what I was told:

"The Atlas Elite weather station is being refined by our development team to ensure that your feedback is incorporated into the final product. We will be ready to communicate more about the Atlas Elite in the near future."

Well my feedback is include free open access to all the live data over local network with published documented API or I'm gonna tell everyone how much it SUX!
Tele-Pole

Offline Theo

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 02:50:14 PM »
Well my feedback is include free open access to all the live data over local network with published documented API or I'm gonna tell everyone how much it SUX!

Good luck with that.  That is likely the only thing they can do to prevent me from moving to a Davis setup once my Atlas dies (hopefully a while from now).  With old iPads and some nice themes available for weewx, I can have a pretty nice display exactly how I want it.  It just really stinks that AcuRite tries so hard to prevent you from seeing the data.  It is stupidity in my opinion.  All they need to do is publish the reading from the sensors on the Access system, it likely would take them less that 4 hours to write that in.  I fear they are working on a way to monetize data access.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2020, 08:44:21 AM »
Will 2020 be the year of the Atlas Elite? [/rhetorical]

A few years ago I remember seeing pictures of the Atlas Elite outside of Acurite headquarters for testing or demonstration. I wonder if they are still there? Was that a publicly accessible location, or at least visible? If yes I wonder what they look like today and if they show any weathering effects; discoloration, or cloudy solar panels, etc.

Anyone know of an Elite test station on WU? If yes what is the station ID?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:59:05 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 09:07:43 AM »
Recently, I saw where the Elite is still being tested on. I don't remember any pictures of an Elite outside of Acurite. I do remember seeing several Atlas outside in a row like.