Author Topic: WL 6.0.3 & Windows 10  (Read 20594 times)

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
Re: WL 6.0.3 & Windows 10
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 12:40:24 PM »
I tried using my win7 key from Technet as I had heard that should work without having to upgrade.  So I did a plainjane install.

The key doesn't work, but will allow you to keep it installed on the machine for 30 days.  I messed around with it on a brand new install on my office machine so it wasn't an upgrade from W7 to W10.  Wasn't impressed reformatted/reinstalled W7 with the Technet key I had and it worked.  I don't think I'll upgrade either machine until I'm forced to.

I tried the same thing, downloaded the ISOs from MS so I could do clean loads instead of upgrade.  After that didn't work (said wrong key) I googled around and found the workaround.

Turns out that the way they are able to let everyone upgrade from anything Win7 upward is that they issue and register a new product key for Win10 during the "official" upgrade, assigned to your hardware.  You can do a clean load after that with the Win7 key.  Extra steps that first time, but no crapware.

[edit]Oops! The "new" product key shows up in your computer properties after the upgrade and can be used for a clean reinstall of 10. The buried key is what the upgrade uses to validate your old OS, so you shouldn't need that one.[/edit]

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Another thing I learned (by failing first) is that it will not accept an OEM key from Windows8 for a clear install of Windows10..  But you can paste the code below into a cmd window to get your "original" key (Win8 only) that doesn't have letters in it.  Do this BEFORE the upgrade, because the command does not work in Win10.

Code: [Select]
WMIC Path SoftwareLicensingService Get OA3xOriginalProductKey
http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/38486-need-help-formatted-genuine-windows-8-lenovo.html#post330277

I have a refurb HP laptop (AMD E1-2100 with 4GB, came with 8.1) that I got with a promo code at Fry's for $150 that will someday in the near future replace a severely limping old Dell netbook as my wx and media server.  Good thing you don't need any kind of power for those tasks, because Win10 has already brought it to it's knees, compared to Win8.  It takes up to 10-seconds to load a jpeg from the desktop, and have lots of patience waiting for webpages to open with Edge (already put Chrome on it out of impatience). Desktop search keystrokes remind me of watching someone type across a 300-baud modem from the lag.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:00:44 PM by xykotik »

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 10:08:40 AM »
In Win 7 I used to run WeatherLink in a user account called weather and worked in another account. I did this so when WL began it's download process it would not take focus and the mouse away from what I was working on.

Win 7 had an unsupported feature called Virtual Desktops that was somewhat buggy. Virtual Desktops are now supported and unlocked in Win 10.
The virtual desktop allows multiple versions of your desktop to run in the same user account. So while WL is cruising away in Desktop 2, I can still work in Desktop 1 uninterrupted by WL's focus shifting activitiy.  To take a quick peek at the weather I can just win+ctrl+right arrow and instantly I am in WL.  Ctrl+Win+Left Arrow and I am back at work.

The only bug left is Win 10 (and 7) will not kick the screensaver in if you have even just one Virtual Desktop. So now I have to Win+L to manually lock the computer.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2015, 10:43:34 PM »
Update Win 10 Screensaver now works with Virtual Desktops and WeatherLink... must have been in a update.

Randall

UPDATE: Given enough time it will refuse to go to screensaver at the appointed time. WeatherLink keeps the timers busy enough it will not activate.

Randall
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 12:37:53 AM by kaymann »

Offline Billbo

• Joelton
Reporting Error
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 08:55:24 PM »
Since moving last week from Win 8.1 to Win 10, I have been getting one or two messages per day that the "WU PWS network has detected that your personal weather station...has not reported." I confirm that WU is not receiving my data (weather station does not show up on their site), then I shut down WeatherLink and restart it...and WU starts receiving reports again. I can't verify that this is a Win 10 compatibility problem. But the Win 10 upgrade is when it started happening.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 10:16:25 PM »
Double check that your power savings transferred correctly...

Randall

Offline Billbo

• Joelton
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2015, 04:33:04 PM »
Kaymann, you may be right. I revised the power settings so the computer never goes to sleep. It has been 12 hours without a complaint from WeatherUnderground.

Offline ryan hothersall

• Senior Contributor
    • My Stuff on the Web
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 05:57:37 AM »
Thinking of upgrading my weather PC to windows 10 soon, and was wondering about i9f I have to run weatherlink as an administrator like I have to do now in windows 7 or it doesn't work properly.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 12:39:26 AM »
Ryan what specific issues are you facing? I will set an standard user and test it for you.

Randall
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 12:46:15 AM by kaymann »

Offline ryan hothersall

• Senior Contributor
    • My Stuff on the Web
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 02:00:55 AM »
Ryan what specific issues are you facing? I will set an standard user and test it for you.

Randall

In Windows 7 I had to set the weatherlink .exe file as run as administrator as otherwise it wouldn't download the data I think. I set it that way a long time ago, so can't 100% remember what the problem was.

Edit, unticked the run as administrator box in the compatibility section of the properties, and when I tried to run weatherlink, got all these errors about all the wlk files being read only, so that's probably why I did it originally.

What I was thinking was if windows 10 restarts by itself, having weatherlink in the start up folder, so it would start automatically, but being prompted to run as admin means that would not work.

I am concerned about this forced updates thing in windows 10 if the update needs a reboot.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 02:12:54 AM by Ryan Hothersall »

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2015, 09:41:25 AM »
Ryan,

It ran perfectly for me in a standard local account in Win 10.

As far as forced updates I have Win 10 Pro and have it set to ask me first and it just without asking installed an OneDrive update.
This is going to be the price of free going forward....

Randall

Offline tevans9129

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 07:16:45 PM »
Hey all, I have not been as lucky as many of you have. I upgraded from Win 7x64 to Win 10x64 today and now my system does not see my Davis Pro 2 weather station which worked great with Win 7. The system detects when the station is disconnected and connected back but Weatherlink does not see it. I have tried a couple of suggestions that Tom (from Davis) provided but nothing works. Device Manager shows Com 3 but it does not recognize the device. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated. I have tried a couple versions of Weatherlink to no avail.

Ted

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »
Are you using the Silicon Labs CP210x USB UART Bridge (COM3)?

If not I believe I have the driver that will work with Win 10

Randall

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2015, 08:19:37 AM »
Randall,
You don't happen to have one that's designed for Windows 10 do you?

Oh, thinking of Win 10 Drivers for the Davis USB Datalogger...
I contacted Silicon Labs awhile back (I think it was about 2 weeks ago now) and they said that they are working on a Driver for the CP210x USB to UART bridge for not just Win 10 but Win 10 IoT as well.
I did ask them if they will be supporting the CP210x on the RPi 2 running Win 10 IoT Core and they said that is in the works as well.

Just thought I would throw this in here.

Offline tevans9129

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2015, 10:50:34 AM »
Are you using the Silicon Labs CP210x USB UART Bridge (COM3)?

If not I believe I have the driver that will work with Win 10

Randall

Thanks Randall, no,  I am using Prolific Technologies (COM 3).

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2015, 01:57:04 PM »
Switch to the Silicon Labs and you should have no problems...

Randall

Offline tevans9129

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2015, 09:03:29 PM »
Switch to the Silicon Labs and you should have no problems...

Randall

Thanks for the suggestions, I found that if I used a 2008 version of Prolific Technologies it works great. I am a happy camper again.

Ted

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2015, 01:17:08 AM »
Ted, As long as it works - awesome!

Randall

Offline Billbo

• Joelton
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2015, 12:01:34 PM »
Update on the problem (earlier in this thread) of WeatherLink losing contact with Weatherunderground, resulting in the station going offline...It was suggested that this is a power settings issue in Win10. I did change the settings, and I thought that fixed it. But now it is clearly not fixed. I continue to experience this at odd times. Unresolved.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2015, 11:47:12 PM »
Latest on the Screen Saver Situation -

It was an Logitech Setpoint update to my wireless mouse/keyboard that saved the day not a Windows 10 update.
Now everything is perfect with the screensaver.
(This fix has been confirmed in multiple developers forums...)

Tevens is there anyway you can switch to the silicon labs driver?

Randall

Offline tevans9129

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2015, 07:23:34 AM »
Latest on the Screen Saver Situation -

It was an Logitech Setpoint update to my wireless mouse/keyboard that saved the day not a Windows 10 update.
Now everything is perfect with the screensaver.
(This fix has been confirmed in multiple developers forums...)

Tevens is there anyway you can switch to the silicon labs driver?

Randall

Hey Randall,

I am not familiar with those drivers. I was given the Prolific drivers by Davis and that is all that I have ever used. If you will provide a link to the one that I need, I will load them on my laptop and see how they work. Thanks

Ted

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2015, 09:36:25 AM »
Ted,

Here is the link and it works perfectly with Win 10:

https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

I originally got this when I reinstalled Win 7 and did not install a driver and Win 7 offered this up and it worked perfectly.

Randall

Offline tevans9129

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2015, 09:56:09 AM »
Ted,

Here is the link and it works perfectly with Win 10:

https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

I originally got this when I reinstalled Win 7 and did not install a driver and Win 7 offered this up and it worked perfectly.

Randall

Thanks much for the link Randall, I will try it in my laptop first, when I can find the time. I have just upgrade my desktop, laptop and tablet to Win 10 and I have some learning to do. What I have seen so far, I think I will like the new OS.  Thanks again.

Ted

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2015, 10:41:13 AM »
Whew!.
So far so good. While installing 10 this morning of course the power blinked half way through.
Computer had to restart and install 7 again. Then had to download 10 and go through the install process.
So far WL and Cumulus are working fine.
Now, on to checking out this new OS. Hopefully won't encounter any problems.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2015, 11:33:23 AM »
I am happy so far, but with some glitches that had nothing to do with WL

TBL is WL is a good match for Win 10 - as long as the SiliconLabs driver is used.

Randall

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2015, 11:58:36 AM »
I see 10 has it own weather page too. Interesting.

anything